Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 09:23 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

For example, how short you cut your hair.

But not hair length if you're a balding guy, because it's somewhat involuntary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 09:43 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Many women at a certain age cut their hair shorter, but there is no hard rules to do so. Millions of women, fully grey, keep shoulder length and longer hair. It needs to be cut well and appropriate products used or it can look wiry. At 60 I don' have a lot of grey. It's concentrated in one area near the front.

I had the worst hair cut of my life earlier this year, and I'm not exaggerating. My long time "stylist" cut it. It ended up looking like I was wearing ear muffs or something. It's taken all year to grow it out enough so it can be fully corrected by a new stylist. I've learned one possible reason older women keep short hair. Styling longer hair in the back is a bit more difficult with age.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:00 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Many women at a certain age cut their hair shorter, but there is no hard rules to do so. Millions of women, fully grey, keep shoulder length and longer hair. It needs to be cut well and appropriate products used or it can look wiry. At 60 I don' have a lot of grey. It's concentrated in one area near the front.

I had the worst hair cut of my life earlier this year, and I'm not exaggerating. My long time "stylist" cut it. It ended up looking like I was wearing ear muffs or something. It's taken all year to grow it out enough so it can be fully corrected by a new stylist. I've learned one possible reason older women keep short hair. Styling longer hair in the back is a bit more difficult with age.
I can relate. I ended up looking like a depressed cocker spaniel. What's that old saying . . . nothing grows slower than a bad haircut! Too true, sadly. How did you handle that debacle? Did you find a new hairdresser?

Around here it seems that nearly every woman of a certain age either has the ubiquitous bob or a pixie with a shaved neck and back of the head - sort of a light bulb look, if you know what I mean. I do see older women with gorgeous luxurious longer grey hair and envy them. It takes a certain hair type and the right products, as you mentioned, to pull that off.

I do sport the bob but as I can't stand it flopping into my face, I style it as a bob but keep it back with a headband or behind my ears. My hair is very fine with mix of wavy and straight areas so it's difficult to style, products or not. Always has been.

I'm of the "fly your own flag" camp . . . work with what you've got for the most flattering and manageable look you can. Now finding a hairdresser who gets that is another matter!

Old 11-25-2022, 11:22 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
What are they doing that it is making your hair look like ears or ear muffs, what is the look they are going for?

Mine had been going crazy with razors and thinning shears and making a kind of mullet/fuzzy q-tip finger stuck in light socket look. Then called it a nice low maintenance textured shag.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:43 AM

422 posts, read 265,189 times
I think that any ladies choose shorter hairstyles as they age.because the hair gets thinner.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:48 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Not sure - what's a voluntary hair styling option?

And what's ear muffs hairdo?
Something like this?

Kapelli, the Only Hidden Earmuff for Women «DIS Magazine

Not sure I can follow your description...

That's my current hair style. I am blessed with thick hair. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/iQAAA...i-O/s-l400.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 11-25-2022 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-25-2022, 11:56 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
My hairdresser and I retired at the same time. And then came the covid shutdown. My hair just kept growing. I wore it up in a bun, but I am old and it got so heavy and would tangle. I have arthritis in my neck and arms. I dreaded washing it. I had a friend make an appointment but the stylist totally ignored me. I asked her to save my tail of long hair and she cut it off about half way down and then started giving me a haircut. I have a big lumpy head with lots of cowlicks which she kept insisting was "natural curl".

I told her I wanted it short but did not want my neck shaved. She shaved my neck even though I asked her to stop.

She wasn't any spring chicken herself but she treated me like I was an elderly idiot. I did manage to get out with my severed tail of hair. I think I even tipped her.

so I ordered a set of clippers and run them over my head every week or two. I love it! My head feels great. Easy to manage and feels so light. I sleep so good without either having hair in my face or matting up in a bun.

I have never worn hats but I bought one when the weather turned. I don't go out in public much. I only have to please myself, but if I did have a public life I would buy a wig.

Old 11-25-2022, 01:11 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
About "voluntary." From childhood onwards, males often face rules against growing hair long (for example, corporate or factory jobs) and by middle age genetic hair loss often limits styling options.

I don't think many women have thinning hair by middle age, yet more often than not the hair seems to be cut shorter. Increased life responsibilities leading to less time for hair care?

But there are other things people can do with their hair that age might dissuade them (or hair professionals they pay) from doing. Ponytails and up-do's I'd think become less common because they highlight a face's age.

My own answer is a little different: I think I'd come across as too young if I usually kept my hair several inches thick on top. Most men eventually swear off spikes or Bieber bangs as too young.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:04 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What are they doing that it is making your hair look like ears or ear muffs, what is the look they are going for?

Mine had been going crazy with razors and thinning shears and making a kind of mullet/fuzzy q-tip finger stuck in light socket look. Then called it a nice low maintenance textured shag.
I have no idea what look she was going for that time. My cut is pretty basic and stays pretty much the same. Kind of should length, long and blended layers with some face framing. She had done it dozens of times. I've seen her for 5/6 years.

Imagine a semi-layered bob that stops about lower ear length in the front, another 2 or 3 inches that are under it and the back has no connection to the front--just straight and a few layers. It was almost like I had 3 different hair cuts on my head. There was absolutely no blending between the "bob" part and the lower part. Literally everyday I'd brush and try to style my hair I'd complain about how bad it looked. I've never experienced that in my life.

I saw a new stylist after a couple of months of growth. She was able to make it presentable enough to allow for it to grow out more. It's finally at a place where she can do a proper cut next week.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:26 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I don't trust hair dressers. They never seem to do what I want. So, I learned to cut and color my own hair. Doing it for decades now. I am happy and saved tons of money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care