Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times

Advertisements

One retailer last night put up 26 1000 round cases of 9mm and since I was in bed looking at it with my phone and no CC handy, I figured I would try to order this morning. Of course it's all gone by now.

This week I'm going to do a cruise of local Wal Marts and sporting good stores I haven't been to yet and see what I can find. Some people here in PA say they are having luck getting 100 round value packs of 9mm Federal ammo as well as .22 LR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
One retailer last night put up 26 1000 round cases of 9mm and since I was in bed looking at it with my phone and no CC handy, I figured I would try to order this morning. Of course it's all gone by now.

This week I'm going to do a cruise of local Wal Marts and sporting good stores I haven't been to yet and see what I can find. Some people here in PA say they are having luck getting 100 round value packs of 9mm Federal ammo as well as .22 LR.
I just traded 200 makarov rounds for 200 9mm luger rounds and then bought what the guy had left federal ball ammo for 15 bucks a box. I thought I got rammed, but I looked at other places and it not available at all. So I did OK. I wanted to pick up some 22lr and its like finding a gold coin laying around. Local shops are out and have none coming in or they are gouging at 55 bucks for a 18 dollar box. I called walmart and they are supposed to have a truck coming in and if they do its one case so I will have to be there went they stock shelfs.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM

385 posts, read 615,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Local shops are out and have none coming in or they are gouging at 55 bucks for a 18 dollar box.
This statement is non-sensical. The shop must raise prices to encourage customers to self-regulate their purchases, or they will have empty shelves. Empty shelves = nothing to sell = no income. Overhead costs don't go away just because there's no inventory available, and distributors are dumping their smaller accounts (nothing personal, it's just business). I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of B&M's fold later this year.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
This statement is non-sensical. The shop must raise prices to encourage customers to self-regulate their purchases, or they will have empty shelves. Empty shelves = nothing to sell = no income. Overhead costs don't go away just because there's no inventory available, and distributors are dumping their smaller accounts (nothing personal, it's just business). I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of B&M's fold later this year.
Well, it depends how you look at it. If I walk into a shop and the shelves are empty, or close to it, I can accept the fact. If I walk into the same shop and ammo has gone up 3x over orginal cost, there is a problem. The haven't hired more employees, the building hasn't suddenly expanded to 3 times the floor space, the utilities haven't gone up 3x, it simply means that they are taking us for what they can. Some call it business, but where I live, we call it gouging and that is the business that will go under, not the shop with empty shelves. Overhead costs didn't go away, but they certainly didn't go up either.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
It absolutely makes sense. There are a few shops that are not gouging, Walmart when they get in a case of 18 dollar 22s they sell them for the same old price of 18 bucks. They are not into gouging. So if anyone is non sensical its your statement that by raising prices it keep the item on the shelf. Well hell take it up to 500 buck for a box of 50 and I bet it will keep inventory nice and full. I for one will remember all the gougers and not use the mom and pop stores that boost prices. If they do I don't buy from them and let them go out of business I don't give a rats ass. They should have thought about that before selling AR15s at 2600 bucks.

I called a shop and told them I had some BX25s I could get to them for 49 bucks each, I was making about 5 bucks each and that is if they took at least 10 or more to make it worth my time. They laughed at me saying that was crazy they would not pay it. Well I sold several at 80 to 90 each. Made a few bucks. Went into the same shop today to see all they had at reasonable prices and WOW what a deal a M&P 223 AR for 2600 bucks. Now there was a company that was looking out for its customers. I will not buy eternal life from them if they were selling it for a nickel. Mom and pop stores are pushing them selfs out of business for the most part. At least Walmart is not gouging me. I turned it down but Wally world had a Mossberg tactical 22 for 229 not the 550 that the same shop was trying to pawn it off at. LOL I don't pay out my rear end so some mom and pop can drive a caddy.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Well, it depends how you look at it. If I walk into a shop and the shelves are empty, or close to it, I can accept the fact. If I walk into the same shop and ammo has gone up 3x over orginal cost, there is a problem. The haven't hired more employees, the building hasn't suddenly expanded to 3 times the floor space, the utilities haven't gone up 3x, it simply means that they are taking us for what they can. Some call it business, but where I live, we call it gouging and that is the business that will go under, not the shop with empty shelves. Overhead costs didn't go away, but they certainly didn't go up either.
I know we have banged heads on some issues but on this one I could not agree more or have put in any better.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
They should have thought about that before selling AR15s at 2600 bucks.
The shop I bought mine at has them in stock (or did on Saturday) for $3500. I paid less than half that for the exact same gun less than two months ago.

I don't have a problem with them charging what the market will bear. They said that the price from the manufacturer/distributor went up, and I believe it. Supply and demand. Don't want to pay the price? Then don't pay it. Nobody's holding a gun to your head ().

The same applies to ammo. If you think it's too expensive, then for you, it is. Hold out until the price comes down. Manufacturers are cranking it out as fast as they can, but people want more than can be produced, so the price is naturally going to rise.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,885 times
This might help stop the hoarding, Im not a big fan of his but it's good news to me

Reid declines to endorse Feinstein's assault-weapons legislation - The Hill

Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,041,865 times
Y'all need to stop screwing around and start reloading. All you will do then is laugh at all the people who don't. Buy a press, dies, tumbler, scale, dial calipers, reloading manuals, and build a sturdy workbench. You'll be glad you did.

Welcome To Penn Bullets INC.

Precision Delta - The Ammunition of Champions

Powder Valley, Inc.

Reloading Supplies Products -MidwayUSA

Starline Brass - Maker of America's Finest Handgun Brass

Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
I think when the media/political/bureaucratic class finds the next crisis that needs solving with massive government intervention and regulation, some of the demand will die back and I imagine a lot of people probably will have bought up whatever they wanted and have financially exhausted themselves by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting