Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times

Advertisements

Some of the mom and pop stores are the answer. We are on the lookout for .300 AAC Blackout, which is a relatively new round and you can't find it online or at any major retailers, but we did find 2 boxes at a small sporting goods store that was collecting dust in the back of the store.

The nice thing with Blackout is if you are willing to trim the cases back it uses a 5.56 case and a 7.62 bullet, so I can make my own once I learn how to reload and get the gear for it. I can get all the 5.56 brass from work I want.

One owner of a large gun store around here said he's been getting calls for .22LR from as far as half a country away. I can't understand why there is a big run on .22LR?

.40 cal and .380 I don't have any problem finding but 9mm Luger is an issue. Especially in bulk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
One owner of a large gun store around here said he's been getting calls for .22LR from as far as half a country away. I can't understand why there is a big run on .22LR?

yeah tell me about it. Over the holidays I was handed down an old Colt challenger that's been in the family for decades (it is my first gun ), and all i wanted to do was get a couple boxes of target ammo as recommended by colt owners (CCI std velocity). Took 3 weeks to get some online, actually from a local shop here in SC. But no one seems to have them online now, and no store that we hit between WI and SC in our drive back had them either.

Talk about frustrating, i get to the range to have some fun, but have to limit myself as i dont know how long it will be until i can get some more. This sure does not make me wanna support any out there hoarding ammo, i'll say that much lol.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
The immediate goal of the anti-gun advocates isn't limiting or banning anything except ammunition. The 2nd Amendment doesn't cover ammunition although you can easily draw and connection between the two, the fact remains, control the ammunition and in effect you can control the use of firearms.

Look at the laws and regulations regarding lead in ammunition. While the ammunition companies are changing how they make ammunition, doing so is very costly and you can expect that within a few years (relative term) it will be very expensive to buy it. Already there is talk comparing taxes on ammunition vs taxes on cigarettes.

How will such laws become a reality? Simple, most people don't go to the range or out in the field and shoot thousands of rounds. Some do but not most and it is "most" that becomes the biggest factor. There are people that would never vote for ban a gun but will vote to tax ammunition. First, it doesn't stop them from going to the range once in a while and here is the biggest part of the pie, the tax will be used to fund law enforcement activities.

Now how do you get people to not vote for a law that taxes ammunition with the benefits going to law enforcement? Then throw in a few "for the children" issues and it is a done deal people.

You'll reload? Components will be taxed as well. Then restrictions on component manufacture get restricted. Copper bullets with some core to make sure it meets already established manufacturing requirements? Check the cost of copper. Wait until a heft tax is added and you won't be able to reload for any less than buying mass produced product.

Sit there and wonder or start getting active and stop waiting for the NRA to save the day, it can't.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM

purely out of curiousity, did heavy runs on .22 ammo like this happen in the past and could at that time be the norm, or is what's happening now being fueled by multiple circumstances (whether taxes, hoarding and material shortages, ban concerns, etc) and this is more of an extreme circumstance that we may have to deal with for the months to come?

I sure dont want to jump on the bandwagon and add to the issue, buying whatever ammo i may find to hold for future use..... but on the flip side i would hate to have this fun old Colt just sitting on a shelf, no ammo to shoot, just hoping someday i'll be able to take it out again.......

Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,587 times
I am not sure about the perfect storm for ammo shortages, but the last one in 2009 had most of the mainstream calibers were affected, but 22 long rifle was not one of them.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Don't know about your area, but in ours, .22 ammo was as scarce in '09 as it is now.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I stopped in the local WalMart yesterday. They had several different boxes of ammo and they had 50 rnd boxes of .22 lr. But, they seldom have bricks so it's kind of normal. They only get in about 5 at a time and they sell the first day. It's always been that way.

The local gun shop has a sale this week for .22lr. Comes in a bucket. 1500 rounds for $49. That's more in tune to normal prices. It's normally $69.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I stopped in the local WalMart yesterday. They had several different boxes of ammo and they had 50 rnd boxes of .22 lr. But, they seldom have bricks so it's kind of normal. They only get in about 5 at a time and they sell the first day. It's always been that way.

The local gun shop has a sale this week for .22lr. Comes in a bucket. 1500 rounds for $49. That's more in tune to normal prices. It's normally $69.

i'm hoping to get a few more clips of the ammo i currently have thru the gun to make sure it's the right stuff for it, then guess as it does become available just have to snag up what i think i'll need for awhile (without going overboard either)

Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
You can still get some stuff from Palmetto State Armory but don't go in expecting to see the full selection available. Plus it is taking them a lot longer to process orders lately. I had an order I placed over two weeks ago and I just got an email that it just shipped today.

I also saw an online auction for a box of Federal .22LR, box of 525 rounds. I'm used to paying $18 for this specific product with Palmetto State, $22 at a store like Gander Mountain. The bidding was at $98 when I checked in! I wouldn't mind a few extra rounds, but I'm not desperate!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 AM

obviously bulk and regular .22 ammo is far cheaper then "target" type. Can i assume that new .22lr pistols could get away with shooting cheaper ammo then something older like the colt i'm shooting now that seems to want/need slower target ammo?

Just curious

btw i saw PSA was sold out online of their .22 ammo right now, that's where i got my CCI std last time (it's a shame i couldnt pick them up at the local PSA store/range here, but had to order them thru their site and pay shipping lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting