Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Road Trippers

Group Created by Jaybee

For those fond of jumping in the car and driving for a day, week or month at a time; those who travel for the adventure-not just the destination. Join us and describe and discuss your previous or future trips.

View All Members Showing 10 of 80 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 6 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 21 to 30 of 32
  1. MomNlovNit
    10-21-2008 12:52 PM - permalink
    MomNlovNit
    Hello,
    I am new to the group. I am excited to share that I have always loved to travel...and now I have 3 little kids, and I still have a love of traveling and learning how to make it as easy as possible! I look forward to learning from the group, and hopefully offering some pretty good solutions that I have learned along the way as well.
  2. wybrant
    10-08-2008 09:53 AM - permalink
    wybrant
    Murfreesburo is in arkansas 6 hours from tulsa, we found jasper and agate not diamonds. We are planning a trip to look for rose rocks near noble ok.
  3. Jaybee
    10-06-2008 10:46 PM - permalink
    Jaybee
    Hi Wybrant. Welcome to the Group. Just returned from our trip to Nashville and beyond and drove thru Murfreesburo, TN. Wife and I discussed how hard it was to pronounce. But I doubt that's the one you're refering to, since you describe it as only 5 hours from OK. So, where's the mine located?
  4. wybrant
    10-01-2008 12:06 PM - permalink
    wybrant
    Just joined, traveled all over with the military. Just drove 5 hours from oklahoma with a van load of high schoolers to the murfreesburo diamond mine and 5 hours back in one day. Next to look for rose rock near okc.
  5. spankyandcranky
    09-29-2008 11:30 AM - permalink
    spankyandcranky
    I live in Kansas, but I have family in Arkansas and Washington states. My most recent road trip was a loop around WA State. But I also took a road trip around one of the Hawaiian Islands within the last five years. I would like to visit Yellowstone soon and am interested in other National Parks as well. If anyone has any interesting pictures/info/tips in relation to either, I would appreciate your thoughts
  6. babyb
    09-16-2008 04:23 PM - permalink
    babyb
    Hi Jaybee
    Well as far as how much time i have...we have until he goes back to school. I guess that would be a few days shy of 3 months. It is very ambitious and expensive too. I have many plans to keep the cost down but still be able to see everything. thanks for the tips!
  7. Jaybee
    09-02-2008 08:08 AM - permalink
    Jaybee
    Well Hello Dolly...
    Sorry, couldn't pass up the opportunity to , well, you know...
    Anyway, welcome to the Road Trippers Group. You sound just like the type I had in mind for membership!

I spent 6 months at Ft. Belvoir in 1976-77 while attending the Dept. of Defense Mapping School. That's a beautiful area. I understand it has really grown in teh last 30 years (wow, that was a long time ago!).

Anyway, welcome again. I look forward to reading of your travel adventures/plans.
    John
  8. Dolly Nasby
    09-02-2008 01:09 AM - permalink
    Dolly Nasby
    Traveling is my first love! Last year I drove all the way to Key West in my RV; the year before that, all the way to Seattle in my RV .... and I did ALL the driving as hubby did not want to take either trip. I live an hour outside of D.C.
  9. Jaybee
    09-01-2008 04:45 PM - permalink
    Jaybee
    Hi babyb and welcome to the group. Sounds like a great trip, with an ambitious itenerary! How much time are you taking? I've been to a number of your planned stops here on the west coast and along the southern tier of states. I also have a computer program that let's me plot trips. You might look into getting one yourself. Its useful for estimating driving times, plotting stops, overnights, etc.

I actually own both Streets and Trips and the DeLorme equivalent. Having experience with both-get the Streets and Trips program-its much easier to operate. Also, the AAA website has a neat planning program that you can use online. Can't remember if you need to be a member or not. Good luck with your plans. Stay in touch as your plans get more specific.
    Good Traveling!
    John
  10. babyb
    08-29-2008 11:50 PM - permalink
    babyb
    Hi everyone!
    My son and i are taking the Ultimate Road Trip next summer.
    I've been in school for nearly 2 yrs now and haven't much chance to spend time with my son. So i think this will be a great experience for the both of us as well as spending time with him. Consider it a thank you to him for putting up with me while i was in school, grouchiness from lack of sleep, not spending enough time with him. etc.
    I've gave this trip a great deal of thought. From ways to save money (i'm a single mom) to every precaution i could possible think of.
    Since we live in PA. We are going North, then south, then west, then north again and finally heading east towards home. Of course it's not going to be a straight shot. The map will look like a bunch of zig-zag lines.
    We are seeing and doing just about everything, florida keys, maine's lighthouses, horseback riding, alligator wrestling, Alcatraz, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, hiking you name it!
    We are very excited about this trip.
    Does anyone have any ideas or place to see or do? I'm afraid there will be something that i will miss.