Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:46 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times

Advertisements

Eating shrimp is an abomination according to the same source that calls gay sex a sin. And I don’t particularly like shrimp. I feel they are overrated. But I have no opinion on whether someone else should eat shrimp as much as they desire. But then Charleston was just listed as #17 on a list of the nation’s most inclusive cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 02:59 AM

31 posts, read 25,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDavisCSA View Post
Look elsewhere. No offense but just being 100% honest. I would recommend states with blue political leanings and places outside of the Bible belt.
I assume "Jeff Davis CSA" is trolling from his name. But in any case, I hope more gay people move to Greenville. A lot of the opposition to homosexuality is from ignorance. It's easy to hate some abstract concept, it's just harder to hate Dave and Bob from across the street who look after your dog and water your plants when you're away for the weekend... The more people who are openly gay, the faster the south will change.

Just fyi, I was born in the south. I'm just not a racist or bigot, and refuse to associate heritage with the discrimination of others, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, whatever.

It's just a matter of time, the south will change. 30 years ago interracial marriage was a scandal. Now you are rightly looked upon as a complete barbarian and idiot for holding such views.

The arc of the moral universe is long, etc., etc., etc.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 AM

513 posts, read 576,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahasaurus View Post
A lot of the opposition to homosexuality is from ignorance. It's easy to hate some abstract concept, it's just harder to hate Dave and Bob from across the street who look after your dog and water your plants when you're away for the weekend... The more people who are openly gay, the faster the south will change.

To be sure, there are people out there who truly "hate" others of differing views (which includes not only those who hate gays or other races, but those who hate conservatives, or Christians, or what have you); but I'm not sure how you went from "opposition of homosexuality" all the way to "hating Dave and Bob." Since when does non support of something, or even opposing something equal hate? I do not support most Democratic views but that certainly doesn't mean I hate people who hold them.

Just fyi, I was born in the south. I'm just not a racist or bigot, and refuse to associate heritage with the discrimination of others, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, whatever.

What does this mean. Are you implying that people of the south (in general) are racist and bigoted? How do you arrive at that conclusion? Isn't that a pretty judgemental assertion? Do you extend openess to those who would disagree with you and your views?

It's just a matter of time, the south will change. 30 years ago interracial marriage was a scandal. Now you are rightly looked upon as a complete barbarian and idiot for holding such views.

What does this have to do with the south? All other parts of the country (and Earth) have human issues as well, regadless of which side your on. Lots of people around the country do not support certain current social movements and it has nothing to do with the South, with Southerners, or with hate or bigotry.

BTW, I do not think interracial marriage is a good analogy to the current opposition of gay marriage. People with different skin color wanting to marry has nothing in common with people of the same gender wanting to marry. The emotional, physical, mental, and experiencial facors at play have absoulutely nothing in common. Skin color basically is determined by where one's decendants lived on the globe. LGBT issues have a myriad of contributing factors across multiple facets of development. These are totally different processes and issues.

The arc of the moral universe is long, etc., etc., etc.
Above.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:57 AM

139 posts, read 211,491 times
While all sin is the same pastor, I acknowledge my sin. And eating shrimp is Old Testament Law and I am not a Jew, and if our Jewish friends wish to keep the 600+ laws, then more power to them. I have given my life over to Christ and have repented from sin. Will the LGBT community also repent of theirs? Let me hear from y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Eating shrimp is an abomination according to the same source that calls gay sex a sin. And I don’t particularly like shrimp. I feel they are overrated. But I have no opinion on whether someone else should eat shrimp as much as they desire. But then Charleston was just listed as #17 on a list of the nation’s most inclusive cities.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDavisCSA View Post
While all sin is the same pastor, I acknowledge my sin. And eating shrimp is Old Testament Law and I am not a Jew, and if our Jewish friends wish to keep the 600+ laws, then more power to them. I have given my life over to Christ and have repented from sin. Will the LGBT community also repent of theirs? Let me hear from y'all!
The repent crap is for you to worry about since that’s what you believe. Be good. Do good. Judge not. Life is short.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:03 PM

513 posts, read 576,657 times
Quote:
The repent crap is for you to worry about since that’s what you believe. So is everyone only to worry about that which they believe? That would seem contrary to the views of many that others should agree and support everything they do. Do you follow this axiom? Be good. Do good. Fair enough, but what is your standard for measuring good? If two individuals deem opposites good, whose judgement is correct? Judge not.Is your first statement a judgement? We all judge, everday. We judge thoughts, actions, reactions, intents, statements, emotions, and conditions of ourselves and others continually. Life is short. It is indeed, way too short! And too short for all the ugliness we humans proliferate amongst ourselves and each another!

Red

Old 06-15-2019, 03:15 PM

387 posts, read 331,171 times
Does City Data really need to be the place where people debate their moral positions on who people do/can/should love?

My experience is that (in the city of Greenville at least) my friends both gay and straight enjoy living here. Folks are neighborly and don't generally think it is their place to get into anyone else's business.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Red
Judgment has only one e, and yes, the people who believe in the concept of sin and forgiveness of sin are the only ones who need to worry about it. One person’s notion of truth isn’t necessarily another’s unless they have both bought into the same notion of it.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:23 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
One person’s notion of truth isn’t necessarily another’s unless they have both bought into the same notion of it.
With respect: either you believe that truth is relative or you believe that truth is absolute; it has to be one or the other; both cannot be true.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
With respect: either you believe that truth is relative or you believe that truth is absolute; it has to be one or the other; both cannot be true.
Words in a book will never convey the absolute truth, if there even is an absolute truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area