Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,858 times

Advertisements

I am planning to go to SC to VA by Greyhound. Anyone has some experiences with long greyhound travel specific to that route? I am actually leaving from anderson, sc to richmond, va with the night bus. This is my first time greyhound travel and I'm a female so I'm actually quite terrified. But this is what my budget allows due to the circumstances. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,597,091 times
Wish I could offer some useful info, but the last time I traveled by bus was back in the 70's when I was a kid. I loved it then (but then again, I love all buses, trains, airliners, etc...). It really depends on how clean Greyhound keeps its buses - seems they're keeping their fleet fairly updated, but you never know what you're going to find inside those machines. Hopefully someone with more recent experience can chime in here.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:51 AM

6,904 posts, read 22,609,832 times
Greyhound is the cheapest form of travel in this country and it can attract lower class passengers. I too traveled on them when I was a kid and we didn't have any problems. More recently my niece traveled from CA to MO and had no problems. If you have a layover in a bigger city you may see homeless in and around the terminal and you should stay alert if this is the case but generally you won't have any trouble.

Have you considered Amtrak? It is the next cheapest form of travel and you'll see parts of the country you can't see from the highway.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:28 PM

179 posts, read 464,292 times
I went from Greenville to Boston on Greyhound in 1998. It wasn't bad. Just make sure that you keep an eye on your bags and a bottle of hand sanitizer handy. Don't be afraid to talk to non-scary people. I struck up a conversation with a lady from South Africa who had to travel from Atlanta to NYC via Greyhound before she could fly back to Africa due to some weird passport issue. Having an interesting person to talk to makes the trip go by quickly.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:18 PM

347 posts, read 984,109 times
The last long Greyhound trips I took were over 10 years ago... but 2 years ago I took the Greyhound from Greenville to Charlotte and it seemed exactly the same.
No one has ever bothered me or done anything to make me particularly concerned or worried.
My biggest worry is missing my stop - So I've always made sure to let the driver know that I'm not familiar with the area, and they do seem to keep a special eye on me.
It's really no biggie. If you ever need help just ask the driver or a terminal worker.

Do keep in mind that Greyhound stations are almost always in a bad part of town. Make sure to know the number of a cab company at your destination, or have your ride arrive a little early so you don't have to wait.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,742,589 times
My tip is to try to look very confident, like you do this all of the time. Predators want someone young and scared. I've been lost on the wrong side of the tracks all over the states and in Central American cities and this always works! Good luck.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 PM

123 posts, read 438,949 times
I've never taken a Greyhound but I've ridden on some pretty scary subways. I don't think you'll be in any danger but it's always good to be alert and use common sense when travelling. Remain confident & aware of your surroundings. Taking a book to read will help discourage weirdos from talking to you. Be cautious of any men who show you too much attention. A lot of scammers use charm on young, unsuspecting ladies. If you exit the bus for a break make sure you stay in lighted, crowded areas where people can see you. Go to wal-mart and in the luggage section you will find a passport holder that you can wear around your neck underneath your clothing. Use that to hold your money, credit cards and ID in case you fall asleep and someone tries to snatch your purse. If anyone bothers you, notify the driver immediately. Good luck & have a safe trip.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,858 times
Thank you so much for your replies, everyone.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,597,091 times
I've often thought it would be fun (or at least interesting) to take a week off and just ride a bus somewhere and not worry about traffic, etc.

Would make an interesting TLC/Bravo/A&E TV show or movie to show the unique cultural experience of riding a passenger bus cross-country! Remember the bus scenes from Planes, Trains & Automobiles? lol

Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 AM

1,146 posts, read 2,885,567 times
Had a 30 day limitless GH pass back in the 80s as a college graduation trip. It was pretty safe and a great experience. As a previous poster said, keep your valuables ON YOUR PERSON. Don't wear flashy jewelry if you have it. Spread your money out in different pockets, etc... TAKE HAND SANITIZER. The most important tip has been given....check you arrival locations/times and make sure that you have transportation arranged in advance. I landed in some really dangerous stations at weird hours - St Louis MO at like 3:00 a.m. and the stations are NEVER in a good location. Please come back and share your adventure with us afterwards. Enjoy the journey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area