Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM

14 posts, read 55,731 times

Advertisements

I may have a potential great job opportunity in Greensboro. I have two young boys (2 and 4). I don't know much about Greensboro, but we have relatives in Chapel Hill who swear by the public school system there. I can't discuss Greenboro with them until this job materializes. Is Greensboro commutable from Chapel Hill (if home price is not an issue)? How long would it take on average during ruch hour? If long (and Greensboro public elementary schools are considered not as desirable as Chapel Hill), how far west of Chapel Hill can I go (to cut the commute) and still get great public elementary schools? Is the commute worth it for the Chapel Hill elementary schools vs. Greensboro schools (if home price is not an issue)? Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 PM

26 posts, read 103,146 times
It is probably about 2 hours from Greensboro to the Chapel Hill area. I haven't done that commute in rush hour but 40/85 in Greensboro during rush hour is "not great".

About schools I would check out the NC Public Schools web site for their report cards on schools and make your own comparision. Link below.

North Carolina Public Schools

Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 PM

23 posts, read 114,442 times
Take the train! Quick easy and makes the trip a lot more relaxing! I think more and more folks doing that commute are going that route than the drive which will be pretty bad!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:59 PM

8 posts, read 40,302 times
Default Chapel Hill Schools

Chapel Hill has the best public chools in the state, bar none. We are currently in the Wake County system and are very pleased. However, my husband has tired of the commute (1 and 1/2 hours) from raleigh to greensboro, so we will be relocating to the Triad soon. As more and more development occurs between Chapel Hill and Greensboro, I fear the commute on 140 will get much longer. For us it is a matter of where my husband wants to spend his time ... in the car or at home with his kids.

There are good schools in Greensboro too.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
Check the school report cards for information (academic scores & safety) on schools in Greensboro. I've been doing a lot of that myself lately and have found many good elementary schools in Greensboro, as well as some good middle and high schools. I think someone may have already given you the link.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:20 PM

29 posts, read 88,988 times
Niki,
My husband is a teacher in FL and we're considering relocating to the Greensboro area. Loved the area when we visited earlier this year. However I keep hearing that the Guilford School system has lots of problems. We would be looking into secondary schools. Could it possibly be worse than Florida with all the budget problems? We're currently in one of the better school districts in Florida. Chapel Hill or Wake would be another option, but what about congestion?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:07 AM

57 posts, read 198,097 times
I've lived in Greensboro, Chapel Hill and now in between the two.

I don't have kids, but I have a friend who is a teacher and who has taught in the Greensboro public schools. He was not impressed with the Greensboro public school system and left after only working there half a year. Not only did he not like the way teachers are treated, but he thought that many many kids were getting cheated on a good education (some kids were passed who clearly should not have been and other kids were not getting the attention they deserved due to "no child left behind.") Teachers were encouraged to pass kids rather than fail them so the school's "report card" would look good. I'm not saying you shouldn't look at the Dept. of Education's school report cards, but take them with a grain of salt because those numbers can be misleading and skewed.

Everyone I ever worked with in Chapel Hill who had kids in school had nothing but good things to say about it. Their only conern was the competitiveness of students in high school and how overwhelming that can be for teenagers.

With that said, I enjoyed living in Greensboro and in Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill is much more expensive though. The commute from CH to Greensboro (if you speed a little and the traffic volume is average) is a little more than an hour. I personally think that commute would get frustrating after a while.

I currently live in Alamance County, which is in between GSO and CH, but the schools are not as good as Chapel Hill. I have heard that schools in West Burlington and south of Burlington (the southern alamance schools) are the better choices in the county. I'm not sure how they compare to Guilford schools though.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:26 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,692 times
Depending on where in CH you are, you can get to GSBO in 45 minutes. BUT... if there are any traffic problems, you will be sitting on 40. And sitting.

There are great schools in Chapel Hill, but the taxes are killer, and so are the housing prices. Guilford County has some excellent schools- Grimsley, Page, Northwest, and the new Northern school opens in January- and the taxes are lower. Plus we have quite a few excellent private & magnet schools.

Check the school report cards (google search!), don't commute 2 hrs each day ($2.71 a gallon! That's nuts!) and just move to lovely Greensboro.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:15 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
My husband as well has a job opportunity in Greensboro. I have two boys fourteen and ten. My fourteen year old would be so happy because the Tarheels are his favorite College team and he wants to go to College there. I hope that the job happens for his sake. Thanks for all the great info on this thread. My husband will probably be commuting if we don't live in Greensboro. Let me know what some good towns are in that area with good schools and sports. My sons play football and baseball...

Thanks so much,
Raelyn

Good luck to all of you.. May you prosper in whatever you do...

Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 AM

130 posts, read 390,584 times
Take it from a husband and wife that have both taught in the public schools: Move to Mebane and get your kids into South Mebane Elementary. Your commute will be about 45 minutes and your kids will enjoy a NC School of Distinction. We purposely moved out of CH-Carrboro schools and moved into Mebane after our son was born for his sake. We love it here too. If you can't bring yourself to go against the common delusion, then go for Orange Co. schools in western Orange. The commute will still be reasonable and schools are better than Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point