Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,869,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Of course, Israel is the apple of God's eye.
Religion had nothing to do with it. When Israelis have to fight for something, they all fight for the same cause. When Arabs fight for things, they fight for what they think they can individually gain.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:37 PM

35,439 posts, read 17,340,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No, probably South America. Israelis/Jews thrive much better when they have full control of their educational system. The US is primarily a Agricultural country, much of it's tech is foreign acquisitions.
Another important element highlighted in Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle by Dan Senor, Saul Singer is the experience, fellowship and education gained in the military. Military service, with a few exceptions, is mandatory for Israelis of both genders on the person's 18th birthday.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,310,670 times
Quote:
If Israel never existed, the Middle East would still be unstable as it has been all the way back to WW1. All of the Middle East would still be under the control of France and England. The US does not have to be in the Middle East, it's there because it wants to be there..

you don't know history. the granting of independence to all colonized countries was a demand by the US for helping the British in WWII. the Brits and the French have no choice

America wants to be there because they have OIL. America consumes a lot of it it wants to secure the source of supply

Quote:

No, probably South America. Israelis/Jews thrive much better when they have full control of their educational system. The US is primarily a Agricultural country, much of it's tech is foreign acquisitions.
hard to argue with someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:50 PM

35,439 posts, read 17,340,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
you don't know history. the granting of independence to all colonized countries was a demand by the US for helping the British in WWII. the Brits and the French have no choice
I consider that in hindsight to have been a mistake. But you have to consider context. At the time the U.S. had just had a major involvement in WW I and was about to get into WW II. I can understand a U.S. President undertaking to ensure the survival of Britain, an ally bound by blood and language as much as by affinity. I can understand FDR not undertaking to backstop a worldwide empire. I personally carry no flag for FDR, as posters on this site presumably know.

Quote:
America wants to be there because they have OIL. America consumes a lot of it it wants to secure the source of supply
This is borderline incoherent. I am not sure if you're saying America covets Israel's oil. It would be fair to say that the U.S. needs a forward base near other oil producing lands, if only to safeguard the supplies of the rest of the civilized world. The U.S. doesn't have to shoot itself in the foot.

Quote:
I know that was directed at another poster. That poster and I don't always get along but the one thing he is is knowledgeable.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Another important element highlighted in Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle by Dan Senor, Saul Singer is the experience, fellowship and education gained in the military. Military service, with a few exceptions, is mandatory for Israelis of both genders on the person's 18th birthday.
The Military teaches people to work together, I certainly learned that as a US Marine.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I consider that in hindsight to have been a mistake. But you have to consider context. At the time the U.S. had just had a major involvement in WW I and was about to get into WW II. I can understand a U.S. President undertaking to ensure the survival of Britain, an ally bound by blood and language as much as by affinity. I can understand FDR not undertaking to backstop a worldwide empire. I personally carry no flag for FDR, as posters on this site presumably know.

This is borderline incoherent. I am not sure if you're saying America covets Israel's oil. It would be fair to say that the U.S. needs a forward base near other oil producing lands, if only to safeguard the supplies of the rest of the civilized world. The U.S. doesn't have to shoot itself in the foot.

I know that was directed at another poster. That poster and I don't always get along but the one thing he is is knowledgeable.

I was replying to a poster who was saying why America is in the Middle East, not Israel. its because America needs oil and the source must be secured, whether the source itself (Saudi) or the sea lanes they have to pass through (Egypt = Suez Canal,Persian Gulf)

Old 09-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I don't know the history of the Middle East? LOL. The Middle East cut up map was done by France and England. They traded parts of their mandates to each other for the gains for whom they represented. The original Palestine Mandate included the Golan Heights and the land Jordan sits on. The Golan Heights was sliced off by Britain, given to the French who gave it to Syria. Jordan was cut off by the British and given to the Hashemites who were from Saudi Arabia. Britain supplied most of the arms used against the creation of Israel. And you think the US had anything to do with this? The US originally didn't even want to take Jewish refugees after WW2.

Quote:
America sure does want oil. But the US has a very small minority of the contracts to get the oil out of the ground in the ME (and even off the coast of the US). Thus the US supplies military to them instead.

Quote:
There are 100's of threads on CD that cover this subject. Maybe you should stop typing and go read them.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:

America sure does want oil. But the US has a very small minority of the contracts to get the oil out of the ground in the ME (and even off the coast of the US). Thus the US supplies military to them instead.

don't know how young you are but before they nationalized these oil industries, the US/ Brits/ French control them. then came the Ghadaffi's, Shahs, which kicked these foreigners out of their oil wealth.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:54 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,155,947 times
I don't care if they are strategic allies or not. I am tired of sending our money to them. America is in bad shape we have no business sending ANYONE money.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:17 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,056,280 times
Quote:
Religion had nothing to do with it. When Israelis have to fight for something, they all fight for the same cause. When Arabs fight for things, they fight for what they think they can individually gain.
Yep, that is why you despite being a US Marine defend Israel in every post of yours. As an individual US citizen what makes you speak for them??

And that is the answer to the OP's question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates