Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times

Advertisements

For the life of me I cannot understand how a supposedly educated person such as deniro can come out and speak against vaccinating when it Is only his opinion and only that . He is not a medical professional so I don't understand how some can take his word for it and not get the kids vaccinated . He did say he was not anti vaccinations he wants what he called safe vaccines whatever that means .

Old 04-14-2016, 11:01 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
There is something I don't understand about this debate. If you have your children vaccinated, how can they then catch the diseases they are protected against?

It seems like the only risk the anti-vaxxers pose is to the other anti-vaxxers. Am I missing something?

With that being said, I have to say I am totally against having something forcibly injected into myself or my kids under penalty of law. That seems like a slippery slope to me.
Well you have the elderly who may or may not have been vaccinated years ago, who can potentially be at risk, you have people who for health reasons cannot vaccinate, that are at risk, as well as those with weakened immune systems.

The only reason we have no fear of measles, mumps, polio, whopping cough or any other of the diseases that have been erradicated due to vaccinations, is because they have been irradicated, we no longer remember the severeness of these diseases.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:40 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Has any law been established regarding non-vaccinated children who become the center of an epidemic?

If polio, mumps, rubella, whooping cough, etc begin to claim lives again, can the parents of the children who began spreading the disease be held liable to pay financial restitution to the families of those they made ill?

I haven't paid much attention to this anti-vaxxing phenomenon until a couple days ago Robert Deniro mentioned that his wife noticed their child develop autistic symptoms overnight after receiving a vaccine with mercury as a basic ingredient in it.

Robert Deniro is a fairly level-headed man.

Perhaps some children in very rare cases really are developing autism after vaccination.

As for my kids, they've all been 100% vaccinated with no problems. I'm pro-vaccination.

If indeed some children are developing autism over this, I hate to say it but isn't it better to have a rare child here & there with autism than an epidemic outbreak of horribly crippling, deadly diseases?
I believe, certain people are prone to have problems depending on their chemical make up and DNA of the child's body.

Nothing is 100% full proof, and that doesn't mean that vaccines do not work. They do, however, can they cause autistic symptoms? And even death? I believe it is possible.

I also believe there might be long term problems with them...however, it's like a scale, you have to weigh the good with the bad, there is always that one very slim chance it could be your child....then how would you feel?

And I don't believe that means vaccines do not work...

Vaccines, and all medications are made with chemical compounds.
if side effects can occur, then perhaps Autism and even death could be considered a side effect.

When I was a kid, every time you were sick and went to the doctor you got a penicillin shot? For Everything! Some people were severely allergic to it, and depending on the person, it could be mild, could be severe...?

I have seen dogs respond to vaccines in a very bad way....

I have even seen dogs respond to the chemical agents of flea and tick prevention (topical)...which are not ingested....so what makes people think, that a child might not react, to medications and vaccines...and believe also, it would be ignorant of us to think otherwise....

some people have allergies to medications, others have died....why would vaccines be any different?

Last edited by cremebrulee; 04-14-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,241,513 times
Quote:
There is something I don't understand about this debate. If you have your children vaccinated, how can they then catch the diseases they are protected against?
It seems like the only risk the anti-vaxxers pose is to the other anti-vaxxers. Am I missing something?
With that being said, I have to say I am totally against having something forcibly injected into myself or my kids under penalty of law. That seems like a slippery slope to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I've asked that same question & you won't get a straight answer from anyone. I used to be a military contractor & I've been poked with ever damn thing you can think of. It won't happen again.
Moderator cut: Quoted Post Deleted

If you haven't seen multiple straight answers to this question then you are willingly missing something.
  • Young children/babies cannot be vaccinated yet and can catch diseases (babies of protected mothers are naturally immune for about 6 months, but are vulnerable from 6 months to the first MMS shot at 12 months). There are millions of infants in that age range in the USA right now. I personally caught measles as an infant, but was fortunate to not develop any complications. The Disney Measles outbreak last year infected multiple infants.
  • Some vaccines take years of multiple doses to be fully effective, including the MMR. The first shot protects 95% of people; the second shot raises that to 99%.
  • Vaccines aren't 100% effective. Even if they are only 99% effective (pretty da** good ROR for any mass-population medical procedure), that still leaves 1% or millions and millions of people who can still catch the disease.
  • Some people who are immunosupressed cannot be vaccinated, so they depend on herd immunity
.How's that for four straight answers? Or are you going to ignore those also and repeat the same tired arguments tomorrow?

Quote:
You mean the same doctors who are getting rich by telling you to vaccinate? The same doctors who take money from pharmaceutical companies? So it must be true then?
You should haven't skipped math class in school. One measles infection gone bad can cost many tens of thousands in doctor and hospital bills, vs. a $10 shot. A major outbreak can lead to multiple millions of profits for doctors and hospitals. Tell me again how getting $1 profit (after insurance price cuts and the actual cost of the drug) for a shot is making doctors rich.

Last edited by Jeo123; 04-15-2016 at 08:32 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 11:54 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,624 times
Raddo and Reed - here is the answer. You don't give children all vaccinations immediately, they are spaced out in time. This is medical best-practices which are followed.

Therefore there are always periods when they are exposed.

You should be able to find this information on the internet.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:56 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Here's the thing. The medical community or a Dr. worth their salt will ever come out & say that said vaccines could be harmful to children or anyone else. Why would they admit to this? Why shoot themselves in the foot? To think that vaccines can't harm someone is just being naïve.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:22 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Has any law been established regarding non-vaccinated children who become the center of an epidemic?

If polio, mumps, rubella, whooping cough, etc begin to claim lives again, can the parents of the children who began spreading the disease be held liable to pay financial restitution to the families of those they made ill?

I haven't paid much attention to this anti-vaxxing phenomenon until a couple days ago Robert Deniro mentioned that his wife noticed their child develop autistic symptoms overnight after receiving a vaccine with mercury as a basic ingredient in it.

Robert Deniro is a fairly level-headed man.

Perhaps some children in very rare cases really are developing autism after vaccination.

As for my kids, they've all been 100% vaccinated with no problems. I'm pro-vaccination.

If indeed some children are developing autism over this, I hate to say it but isn't it better to have a rare child here & there with autism than an epidemic outbreak of horribly crippling, deadly diseases?
So how would you sue someone who can't take the shot, but gets the disease? Plus, what if the people who did vaccinate get the disease and pass it along to your kids. They DID what they were supposed to.

So how now brown cow?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:36 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post

You should haven't skipped math class in school. One measles infection gone bad can cost many tens of thousands in doctor and hospital bills, vs. a $10 shot. A major outbreak can lead to multiple millions of profits for doctors and hospitals. Tell me again how getting $1 profit (after insurance price cuts and the actual cost of the drug) for a shot is making doctors rich.

If you don't think that doctors, etc. are getting rich then I don't know what to tell you. How many people are in the U.S? Billions? Maybe you skipped math class. I'll stick to taking natural herbs that my wife makes, you & your can do whatever you want with your body. But kindly keep your shots, etc to yourselves.

So when said person gets said shot, & gets sick because of the shot whose responsible for them?

Or is that not realistic?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:48 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Quote:

Indeed, you are.

Quote:
I've asked that same question & you won't get a straight answer from anyone. I used to be a military contractor & I've been poked with ever damn thing you can think of. It won't happen again.
Nonsense. Two obvious answers were promptly posted, as follows:

Quote:
The entire course of vaccinations takes a few years. A child can be on schedule for all their vaccinations but hasn't finished the whole course yet. For example there is a case of a 5-month-old who caught measles from a child who wasn't vaccinated. The 5-month-old was too young to have all the vaccinations yet, therefore must rely on everyone around her to be measles-free and/or vaccinated against measles. But because she was in contact with an un-vaccinated, measles-infected child, the baby caught the measles too. Her parents are livid because they had her on schedule for vaccinations but she got sick anyway due to the sickly anti-vax child.

Read this: I understand his anger. This should def go viral. - Album on Imgur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Some children cannot be vaccinated for various reasons.....age, illness, allergy......some just never get good resistance despite being vaccinated

To the Parent of the Unvaccinated Child Who Exposed My Family to Measles | Mother Jones
It's good that these things are posted. Not for the tinfoil-hat crowd, of course - they're lost causes. But it's good for the onlookers who might get sucked into the nuttery being peddled were it not refuted.

Quote:
You mean the same doctors who are getting rich by telling you to vaccinate? The same doctors who take money from pharmaceutical companies? So it must be true then?
Uh huh... it's a massive conspiracy, and all the researchers are in on it. Fortunately, Jenny McCarthy and Robert Deniro know the truth...

Moderator cut: Quoted Post Deleted

Last edited by Jeo123; 04-15-2016 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 12:53 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Though after a measles outbreak even the Amish are accepting vaccines.
Measles Outbreak In Ohio Leads Amish To Reconsider Vaccines : Shots - Health News : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates