Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 11:03 PM

658 posts, read 721,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

So if someone is eating themselves to death, too bad. It's one of Mother Nature's ways of correcting our human overpopulation situation.
INteresting that you are a self proclaimed humanist with this point of view of your fellow humans.

I guess you could say the same about all the people who get drunk and pee away all their money and wreck their livers or the people who sleep around and get AIDS or the fools who smoke and get lung cancer etc.

Which one's your vice?

Old 11-17-2023, 09:15 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Over-eating IS an addiction. With drugs, withdrawal of drugs is the cure. It's more complicated with food.

One has to eat. But what to eat, how much to eat?

Lots of education, psychological counseling must be involved to be effective.

Just like any other addiction program that's effective, right??

And there's so often back-sliding and failure along the way. You can avoid drug dealers and users. But hard (impossible) to avoid food dealers and eaters...

Just drive down a commercial street and how many fast food joints do you see?

Old 11-17-2023, 09:42 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I think with any addiction the person with the addiction needs to want to get help. We live in the US so people do have some freedom when it comes to food and eating what they want...should we get rid of all fast food joints because some people can't control themselves?

Old 11-17-2023, 09:59 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think with any addiction the person with the addiction needs to want to get help................
People don't know they are addicted.
Almost no one says they are addicted to sugar and refined carbohydrates, even though they are. It's considered perfectly normal to announce you have a sugar craving.
It's not a food addiction. It's a carb/sugar addiction. "Help" for something not recognized would be a little hard to find.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:19 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Almost no one says they are addicted to sugar and refined carbohydrates, even though they are. It's considered perfectly normal to announce you have a sugar craving.
It's not a food addiction. It's a carb/sugar addiction. "Help" for something not recognized would be a little hard to find.
I'm not sure if it's an addiction...but just more of a boring experience to eat bland unsweetened food.

There are many things in life people need to refrain from doing - drinking alcohol, doing drugs, having sex whenever they feel like it, getting plastic surgery every year, buying whatever they want...people need some sort of outlet. If there are people out there who eat no sugar or unhealthy foods whatsoever then good for them

I'm sure some people maybe don't know they're addicted but it isn't necessarily someone's job to find them and tell them. If they go to the dr's for a yearly check up they will be told if they need to lose weight or not. Dr's give basic info on what people should be eating...but the rest us up to the individual.

The same thing seems to happen with mental health issues. When someone goes nuts and shoots up a mall people say we need better mental health help!! It's too late for that person...they clearly never thought to seek mental health care.

There are some problems that that can't be fixed for someone...they have to have the insight into themselves to do the work

Old 11-17-2023, 11:51 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I've two friends both of whom have confessed to their sugar addiction. (Both are well-educated). One told me the other night that a number of his health issues would be mitigated if he could curb his sugar habit. Said he ate sweet things all day long.

What I didn't hear from him was any action or plan to change his habit.

I guess that's why I have trouble understanding. Knowing a habit can/is harming you and not at least trying to change.

Giving up cigarettes was the hardest thing I've ever done, addiction-wise. It was a big struggle. But I was determined that a little cigarette wasn't going to be the boss of me!

Cannot sugar "addicts" decide to whip that sugar thing into submission???

Old 11-17-2023, 11:57 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've two friends both of whom have confessed to their sugar addiction. (Both are well-educated). One told me the other night that a number of his health issues would be mitigated if he could curb his sugar habit. Said he ate sweet things all day long.

What I didn't hear from him was any action or plan to change his habit.

I guess that's why I have trouble understanding. Knowing a habit can/is harming you and not at least trying to change.

Giving up cigarettes was the hardest thing I've ever done, addiction-wise. It was a big struggle. But I was determined that a little cigarette wasn't going to be the boss of me!

Cannot sugar "addicts" decide to whip that sugar thing into submission???
Only if they want to. I still don't see the problem with indulging in a treat every now and then. A piece of chocolate is not the same as a cigarette. Eating 'sweet things all day long' seems questionable.

Old 11-17-2023, 01:04 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
That's a lie unless you happen to live in an especially cheap place. There's a reason why food pantries mostly give poor people tons of carbs and boxed things and canned soups full of sodium -- they're cheap. Pasta is insanely cheap, much cheaper than fresh salmon (or any fish at all).

Please let me know what planet you're from, it sounds super.
Yes, pasta is cheap. But Italians these days are mostly thin, often very thin. And still eat large amounts of pasta.
I think a lot of the problem here in Australia and probably in the US is that people snack way too much.

Old 11-17-2023, 04:43 PM

1,118 posts, read 606,309 times
I agree with the poster who said that a lot of people DON'T REALIZE / KNOW that they are addicted to "bad" food.

Unless you get home cooked meals all the time, then you will get use to eating high carb, high sugar, high fat meals.

We in North America have normalized junk food... which is basically most meals you get outside of the home unless you eat at high end restaurants.

Then you have the obesity epidemic among the poorer populations because all they have around them are fast food places and almost no supermarkets (food deserts).

I am a pretty fit individual. Working out and pretty much always active plus eating a lot of whole foods keeps me from getting obese. But if I slip... start eating Big Macs every lunchtime and sitting on the couch watching tv... then I guarantee I will get that fat bulge around the belly.

I do love my junk food... chips, chocolates, and yes even pop. I've grown up with these "treats" and mentally I can't not have them once in a while. We've been programmed to eat junk food since we were kids. That dopamine rush is stuck in me.

BTW I quite smoking... and anybody who has smoked knows how difficult that is to do. But I will not quit junk food because the gain exceeds the cost because I do it in moderation.

Obesity is a mixture of genetics and environment. Some ppl are predisposed to get fat so they are at a disadvantage and have to watch their lifestyle even more stringently.

Obesity is a disease, but one that is encouraged by our society in over consumption.

Look @ China. I'm willing to bet that the past 20 years there are more "fat" ppl than ever in their history. A country that was marked by poverty and starvation, fat people were seen as wealthy and fortunate and rare.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:40 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've two friends both of whom have confessed to their sugar addiction...........Cannot sugar "addicts" decide to whip that sugar thing into submission???
That's actually what the carnivore and keto diets are all about - cutting out sugar completely. As you know, an addict cannot have "just one".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates