Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They contain a lot of sugar.
Not all do. Many consider them better than water in heat especially if doing activities. I typically drink the sugar free ones myself. The sugary ones taste too sugary.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:34 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Because obesity is too profitable.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:29 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Okay, I'm just going to say this. The reason people hate on obese people, is we feel like they're getting away with something we wish we were getting away with.
I don't feel like obese people are getting away with something I wish I could get away with. When I see someone who is morbidly obese my first thought is "how could someone get to that point? When they saw they were up past 250 pounds why didn't they do something about it then"? I know some people reach for food for comfort, thankfully I've always been the opposite; when I'm upset I can't eat a thing.

When I was in High School in the 70's, out of an entire school there might have been two or three overweight (not obese) kids. Now it seems more people, even the High Schoolers are overweight than average weight. We are supposed to "accept" everybody and I feel that this whole acceptance movement has not helped the obese at all. Even at my doctor's office, he has two people working for him that are over 350 pounds. What kind of example does that set for the patients you have that need to lose weight?

As far as why morbid obesity/overeating isn't treated like other addictions is most likely because we HAVE to eat, we don't have to take drugs or drink alcohol. And there are support groups like OA. Maybe once a person gets really, really overweight they just give up and think it will be too hard to change? I don't know - it's a complicated issue; you can't just diet, you have to change the way you think about food. It can be done but it's not always easy for some people especially if they grew up in a household where their parents were overweight and didn't know anything about nutrition.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:35 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
How about raising those rates for those who smoke (though I think they've already done that), those who indulge in excess amounts of alcohol (more than one drink a day-the current limit stated for a number of medical conditions, for those who indulge in recreational drugs, or depend on too many opioids to get them through a day. And how about for those, who in the opinions of the keyboard "experts" sitting in judgement of anyone who doesn't fit their fancied picture of an ideal human being, raise the rates for anyone, anywhere, engage in any kind of risky behavior.
I work in the disability insurance industry and if you smoke or are overweight you will pay higher rates. There are 4 different ratings depending on how overweight a person is. If they are over rating 4 they have to go to a high risk insurance company.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I've watched a lot of "The Biggest Loser" and a person I have a lot of respect for is Jillian Michaels. She has a very effective way of getting to the bottom of why the morbidly obese contestants have psychologically come to the point they are at. And almost categorically, there is a deap-seated issue. Whether it be a sports injury putting a stop to a career, or bullying as a child, or a death of a family member, or even just low self-esteem; most of these people, when pressed, can articulate a reason why they overeat. But my impression of American society is that most obese people just go to the doctor, and the doctor tells them they need to eat better. A doctor telling them to eat healthy is the same as a doctor telling an alcoholic to replace their vodka with water, IMO. Yeah, OK.

I'm not saying that everyone who is obese needs a therapist. I know that some people were raised with poor eating habits, and I'll address that. But a lot of obese people do have psychological problems. They need to confront the reason why they are self-medicating with excessive food, because that is exactly what they are doing, no different than an alcoholic turning to the bottle or a smoker lighting up a cigarette.

As someone who has seen multiple family members die from obesity-related complications, I know that the ramifications can be just as severe if not more so than those who are afflicted with other addictions. Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart issues, early death, etc. etc.

To me, obesity is an even more egregious problem than some other addictions because people pass their poor eating habits to their children. Childhood obesity is a huge problem in the US and it's the fault of the parents. Why wouldn't your child binge on an entire bag of potato chips if she sees you doing it every day? Why wouldn't he eat junk food if that's all that's in the house? That being said, these people logically may be more responsive to doctor recommendations to eat healthier because they *may* not be doing it for any other reason than because it's how they were raised.

But there seems to be a complacency in American society when it comes to obesity. Why is that? Is it because it's so common? Is it because food is a necessity, and it's difficult to draw the line between "enough" and "too much"? I don't know, but I think there has been a general failure among health care professionals to adequately address this massive problem. And I don't think obese people are getting the help they need to confront their weight issues before it's too late.
I think therapists in general would rather address the underlining problems and hope the food issues resolve themselves along with the other issues rather than confront weight directly as an issue. Also there are alot of lousy therapists out there who no longer really push adult clients to understand the importance of a healthful lifestyle. It's a double edged sword...have limited less than healthful expectations in line with society and continue work with a potentially defensive client or potentioally lose the client and risk not being able to help them at all.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:39 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Think people. An addiction like alcohol is treated by getting the addict to stop drinking. No problem, a human can easily live without alcohol, or cocaine, etc. But you cant tell a food addict they never can eat again.
Exactly! I quit drinking 25 years ago. I quit smoking 13 years ago. It's easier when you can never have a drink or a cigarette again, but you have to eat. This is what is hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
But a food "addict" can be re-directed to prefer healthier foods. Binging on potato chips or a gallon of ice cream versus a big salad for instance.

I used to be quite the sugar-holic..now I binge on one small square of very dark chocolate. I find it satisfying because the quality is high.

My sole snack foods are raw nuts or edamame in the pod.

It can be done.

One doesn't have to stop eating. That's silly...
I disagree to a point. I've been overweight since I was 12 years old and have lost weight on and off since then. I've been eating clean 1200 calories a day and have lost 30 pounds in a year and a half. I walk 2 to 4 miles about 5 times a week. I am hungry every day. I don't think there has been a day that I have not felt excessive hunger in the last couple of years. Will I ever get to the point where 1200 calories satisfies me? I hope so. Will I keep the weight off this time? I doubt it. I wish it was as easy as you say. I'm female and 63 years old now.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:38 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Insurance rates should be skyrocketed for those that are obese. Just like drivers pay a higher insurance premium that pose a risk on the roads so should the Bigguns bare their fair share of costs.
The 3rd leading cause of death in the US is medical error. So, using your logic, those who see any doctor or hospital should have very, very high rates. Higher than smokers, etc.

Works for me.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 02-26-2019 at 01:03 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 12:38 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Exactly! I quit drinking 25 years ago. I quit smoking 13 years ago. It's easier when you can never have a drink or a cigarette again, but you have to eat. This is what is hard.

I disagree to a point. I've been overweight since I was 12 years old and have lost weight on and off since then. I've been eating clean 1200 calories a day and have lost 30 pounds in a year and a half. I walk 2 to 4 miles about 5 times a week. I am hungry every day. I don't think there has been a day that I have not felt excessive hunger in the last couple of years. Will I ever get to the point where 1200 calories satisfies me? I hope so. Will I keep the weight off this time? I doubt it. I wish it was as easy as you say. I'm female and 63 years old now.
I'm nearly 8 years post-gastric bypass. I eat about 1000-1200 daily for maintenance. One of the ways I satisfy "hunger" is to ensure I am well hydrated (I drink 80-100 ounces of fluids per day, no caffeine) and eat protein rich meals. Often, hunger is actually thirst or just the head playing games.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
I was overweight, but not yet obese many years ago. I saw a dietitian. She put me on what I dubbed a 'pancake diet' because basically it encouraged eating high amounts of carbs and very little meat. I gained over 30 lbs in one month on that diet and was sick all the time from the blood sugar issues. Dietitians can make a person sick.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Ive mentioned this in other threads about obesity, and I think it plays a big part in it...I am a Field marketing rep for a large chain gas station/convenience store, I have watched our fountain drink cup sizes go from a 32 oz large to a 52oz large within about 10-15 years time!

The odd thing about this, the price has not gone up in all those years, we usually have fountain drink specials, where 99 cents buys any size, naturally most people grab the largest size they can.

I also did some checking with our fountain cup suppliers, they do indeed have 64oz cups available, so I have a feeling that is going to be the new large here soon. If this trend continues, within the next 10 yrs, gallon size and up fountain drinks will be the norm!

I remember when I was in my late teens and friends would go out on friday and saturday nights, we would hit the food courts at the mall, and 32 oz drinks were the largest size available for the most part...today, a 32 oz is a small or medium size.

Can anyone think of any other product that has not gone up in price over a 15 yr period, where they actually give you MORE for less today? I cannot think of any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates