Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 AM

359 posts, read 1,312,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
Southern no more,

I can commiserate. Except for the children and teaching part, I could have written your post. When we moved to Covington, we moved into a neighborhood with great people. We couldn't ask for better neighbors. One of the ladies across the street came over to introduce herself shortly after we moved in and in the next sentence after she told me her name, she invited us to her church. Although I told her that I was raised a Seventh Day Adventist and if I were to go to church, it would likely be an SDA church, that didn't seem to matter. She has extended several invitations since then. As friendly as she is, when I talk to her I always hold my breath waiting for her to bring it up again. They really don't seem to care, or maybe aren't aware, that their prying makes you uncomfortable.

Another time I was in Oconee county at a craft show and this older lady whom I had never met or seen before in my life walked up to me and asked me if I go to church. I told her no expecting that to be the end of it. It wasn't. She said she would pray for me and I smiled politely and said OK thinking she meant in church on Sunday. NO! She grabbed my hand and started praying right there in the middle of the craft fair. I was horrified. Who do these people think they are, honestly? My salvation is my concern. Not anyone else's.

..and that's just one of my issues with Georgia. I could go on but I'm getting upset already.
These damn wanna save everybody Christians make me wanna throw up backwards! It is my BIGGEST concern with possibly moving there..from California. These deeply narrow conservative ideas that seem to permeate the STATE! I wonder what would had happened had you told her you were a Satanist and maybe hissed at her or something? Then again maybe not. The healing oil would have come out and she probably would have started speaking in 39 tongues at once...now THAT would have been really embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 10:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
I have lived here for over 20 years and have NEVER been asked to attend church or what my religion is. And yes, I DO live ITP in NW DeKalb - but still.

My sister and her family now live in a rural subdivision outside of Cartersville - same experience.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but come on people.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 9,368 times
Default Otahere 5 yrs

Left, owned construction co.. To MANY hispanics. Do miss the area though. Mostly worked burbs, CC of South, St. marlo, St,
Ives ect.
Lived in Gainesvle, Clarks Br. Rd Miss the DOGs. Stuck on Ohio in Indi.
Hows the economy? Water sits. Randy Richard American Heritage Const.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 AM

129 posts, read 324,976 times
Georgia is a great state. But all the unhappy and dissatisfied people should just leave and never look back .

Old 01-25-2009, 10:47 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,833 times
There are 3 things I do not like about Georgia. Number 1 is the sinus problems.. if you never had them before You will have them in Georgia. Number 2 if you are Catholic,, alot of discrimination.. I never experienced it until I moved to Georgia. Number 3 the way they treat their dogs!! It is horrible dead dogs all over the roads..dogs tied up on 3 foot chains.. Dogs running free, and noone caring.. no humane societies in the smaller towns.. Its very bad..

Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 AM

970 posts, read 2,951,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
AirTran does offer one way tickets.
^5

Delta is ready when you are as well.......

If you prefer to drive:
  1. Point car nothbound on I-75 or I-95, depending on which side of the state you live on.
  2. Drive until the food becomes lousy, the women become ugly, the weather becomes bitterly cold, and the people become rude.
  3. Stop driving. You're home.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:12 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
There are 3 things I do not like about Georgia. Number 1 is the sinus problems.. if you never had them before You will have them in Georgia. Number 2 if you are Catholic,, alot of discrimination.. I never experienced it until I moved to Georgia. Number 3 the way they treat their dogs!! It is horrible dead dogs all over the roads..dogs tied up on 3 foot chains.. Dogs running free, and noone caring.. no humane societies in the smaller towns.. Its very bad..
Yes, "we" treat our dogs inhumanely in Georgia...as I'm staring at my 3 year old weimeraner passed across my bed.

Everybody is an individual...there is no more animal abuse/neglect in Georgia than in any other U.S. state. There are many, many wonderful dog owners and lovers here - and people do care. You may have experienced something different, but keep in mind that yours is ONE experience only.

Watch Animal Cops Detroit or Animal Cops Houston...or one of the Animal Cops shows on Animal Planet. It will tear your heart out and you will clearly know that it's the same everywhere.

There are several places in Georgia with large Catholic populations...so I'm not sure where you're talking about being discriminated against. How did anyone even know your religious denomination anyway? It's not like race or gender...did you wear a sign around your neck?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,833 times
Yes there is wide and horrible treatment of dogs in Georgia.. I guess you forgot about your great quarterback Michael Vick. I lived in Jackson County.. no Humane Society.. Everyday as I headed home from work dead dogs in ditches and wandering in 90 plus degree weather.Animals chained to 3 foot chains... I have lived in all parts of the U.S AND GEORGIA IS THE WORST place for animal abuse I have ever seen. People don't even know to give their dogs heartworm medication... And as for the Catholic problem.. When I mentioned I was one, you's have thought I had the plague.. A Baptist Church on every corner.. And God forbid purchasing alcohol on Sundays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 PM

970 posts, read 2,951,816 times
Quote:
Yes there is wide and horrible treatment of dogs in Georgia.. I guess you forgot about your great quarterback Michael Vick. I lived in Jackson County.. no Humane Society.. Everyday as I headed home from work dead dogs in ditches and wandering in 90 plus degree weather.Animals chained to 3 foot chains... I have lived in all parts of the U.S AND GEORGIA IS THE WORST place for animal abuse I have ever seen. People don't even know to give their dogs heartworm medication... And as for the Catholic problem.. When I mentioned I was one, you's have thought I had the plague.. A Baptist Church on every corner.. And God forbid purchasing alcohol on Sundays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
So you can't get liquored up on Sundays. At least you fit the Catholic stereotype.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Quote:
Oh Horse Poopie!

A: Michael Vick is a thug from Norfolk VA who happened to be drafted to the Atlanta Falcon since removed. His Dog Fighting compound was in Virginia.

B: Jackson County is / was a very small populated county until a couple years ago, still going through growth burns.

C: Every go to Discovery Mills Mall. So far the only Mall of any state that I have ever lived which donates space to the Gwinnett County Humane Society. Feel free to visit.

D: I have lived all over and have seen animal abuse on all records. You can find mistreatment in each and every state of the Union. Actually the largest bust of a cruel puppy mill was in Arkansas, not Georgia. Also, ever drive through Iowa or SE Iowa. Three things, Corn, June Bugs, and Puppy Mills. Sorry, 4 things. More Corn.

E: Do you realize Georgia ranks as one of the highest Vet per capita in the union. Heck our Governor is a vet. I live close to the Jackson county line myself and let me see, there are 5 Vet / Animal Hospitals within a 5 mile ring of my home. Never seen that in any other state I have lived.

I am a full member of the Humane Society, the ASPCA, and foster animal caregiver and have been for years. Georgia has its faults like anywhere else, but in regard to animals it is no worse than anyplace else.

As far as the Catholic question. Well, it ain't Chicago or Jersey, it's the South. The South is Baptist World as Jersey and Chicago is for the Catholics, as Brooklyn is for the Jews, as Utah is for the Mormons. Heck, I'm Lutheran, which is even harder to find than the Catholic Church, but it doesn't bother me. Same with the booz on Sunday. Heck, buy it on the other 6 days of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia