Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times

Advertisements

The time to comment on the state-wide water management plan is now through Oct. 30.

Governor Sonny Perdue created the Georgia Water Council in 2004 to provide input to Georgia Environmental Protection Division and recommend a plan to the 2008 General Assembly on how to manage the state's water resources.

I'm not sure where the Atlanta meetings will be held. If you are in N. GA, The Georgia Water Council will present a revised draft state-wide water management plan Oct. 16 at Gainesville State College in the Continuing Education Auditorium, 3820 Mundy Mill Road in Oakwood beginning at 6 p.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:07 AM

The time to comment on the state-wide water management plan is now through Oct. 30.

Governor Sonny Perdue created the Georgia Water Council in 2004 to provide input to Georgia Environmental Protection Division and recommend a plan to the 2008 General Assembly on how to manage the state's water resources.

I'm not sure where the Atlanta meetings will be held. If you are in N. GA, The Georgia Water Council will present a revised draft state-wide water management plan Oct. 16 at Gainesville State College in the Continuing Education Auditorium, 3820 Mundy Mill Road in Oakwood beginning at 6 p.m.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 AM

483 posts, read 2,094,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
De-sal is prob the best option, but I don't know how you'd get the water to Atlanta. Prob have to build the plant maybe in NC or SC and let it drain to Atlanta?
er... I took geography back in the stone age, so maybe things have changed since then,
but last I heard, the ocean is generally around sea level, and Atlanta is about 1000 ft above sea level.

I don't think 'down' on the map counts.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
er... I took geography back in the stone age, so maybe things have changed since then,
but last I heard, the ocean is generally around sea level, and Atlanta is about 1000 ft above sea level.

I don't think 'down' on the map counts.
I agree

but I would think it MIGHT be easier than from the GA coast. Could be wrong.

Never heard of them pumping water that far inland and up b4.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
i'd swear i read a couple of years ago in the AJC that one was in development somewhere in the northwest part of the metro -- somewhere around Cobb/Bartow/Cherokee? anyone know anything about that?

i was watching the ABC national news a few days where they showed overheard shots of Alatoona and Lanier. It was astonishing how low they were -- didn't even look like lakes anymore.

They drain Allatoona every Fall so that's no suprise, some areas of the lake go completely dry during this time, not b/c of drought, they're just shallow. If you drive 92 over the lake, it's bare in this time of the year. If you haven't been here long you'd probably be shocked.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
"Well, here in Atlanta, they've been predicting this for years. The Corps need to build another lake."

Interesting idea. Any thoughts on where a good location would be? If a lake is going to be built nearby, that's one good place to buy real estate!
you'd want to stay above the Fall Line so I'd say just SouthWest of Calhoun off of the Oostanaula River.

Oostanaula River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you can see the map on the right.

Note that the Etowah flows into Allatoona and the Coosawatee flows into Carters Lake. So you could put another damn down from Carters after the Coosawatee merges with the Conasauga to form the Oostanaula.

I'm not a topography expert or very familiar with that exact area but I know it's not densly populated, it is above the fall line, added barrier for flood control that Carters and Allatoona were already built for, and close enough to Metro Atlanta!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Have they been discussing serious plans for another reservoir? I wonder how big Lake Oostanaula would be if they were to create it?

If nothing else, I like the name... you can say "asta la vista" to the drought by building "oosta na ula."

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,081,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
Recycling water in your house will help too. My mother was upset with the water ban because it came right after she paid to have her house landscaped (after buying it almost 2 years ago). She took a bath instead of a shower (which used less water probably) and then filled a bucket with the water when she was done and poured it over the flowers. I don't know if it will work because the soap might kill them, but I don't think it does so her flowers should live.
I don't think the soap will hurt the plants.I've seen a show on PBS,Ithink,that showed using many household detergents that were good for plants.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM

823 posts, read 2,216,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
They could HELP solve the problem if they built some desalination plants along the coastal areas and pumped water into Atlanta. The process of desalination is expensive, and it doesn't crank out an excessive amount of water, but, it would help with the problem. Of course, it all boils down to money.

Let's put it this way - every year we see huge forest fires on TV out West, burning down hundreds of homes. Yet to this day, we do not have a "Federal Fire Force" in place that goes into action to fight them. Instead, each state sends out small forces. So, we live in a country where stuff like that isn't a priority. We live in a state where the Governor won't even put a dime into public transit. So the chances of the Feds giving us money, or the Governor spending millions, on desalination plants are ... you guessed it... zero. Good things to remember on all levels next time ya vote.
Desalination is prohibitively expensive. It only works in places like Saudi Arabia where water costs more than oil. It would create a whole new problem - ginormous water bills.

I am not sure what the solution is but desalination is not it. Forcing new construction to implement efficient water technology would be a start but since this state is owned and operated by developers that will never happen.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,211 times
what about the savannah river?

can it be used as a water source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia