Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Does Georgia have hurricanes? I hope nothing that drastic has to happen to get rain. I would rather a "marathon rain dance" take place. Let's pray that Georgia will be able to sing "Rainey Night in Georgia" soon.
We are a coastal state and hurricanes cause rain, lots of rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:57 PM

201 posts, read 1,123,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
We are a coastal state and hurricanes cause rain, lots of rain.
For "my information", when is the last hurricane that Georgia had and how often does this occur?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 23,841 times
Quote:
For "my information", when is the last hurricane that Georgia had and how often does this occur?
By the time the hurricanes reach GA they are just big periods of heavy rain, lots of wind and some tornados.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Drought's a concern, especially because it stresses the trees. But really, this is yet another dire warning... and it seems like there's at least 2-3 dire warnings every year. Often contradictory ones. Soon enough we'll start hearing about the next dire warning (probably a gloomy prediction that we will have too MUCH water, and that due to global warming beach front property will be available in Conyers).

Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
We get the remnants of hurricanes quite frequently, with the exception of the past two years in which there has been less hurricane activity in the US. They usually come up from FL or over from NC or SC. As far as the GA coast, I don't think that there has been a direct hit in a long time. They usually seem to hit NC which "sticks out" further into the Atlantic.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 AM

71 posts, read 706,370 times
Default Hurricanes

Georgia does have a coast, but she also has barrier islands that take the brunt of anything major. I guess that, plus the way we are situated keep major hurricanes from bothering us. They usually go on up the coast, leaving us with lots of stormy, rainy nights (and days!)
We (in eastcentral GA) have been on water restriction every summer for several years now. We just conserve, try to plant flowers that can withstand the draught. Keep threatening to concrete the yard and paint it green.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,421 times
Yes you are correct cotton about the barrier islands, but also the Georgia coast sits on a shelf. But conditions were right around the same in 1994 when Macon, Georgia had the largest flood in Georgia's hsitory, and a huge amount of rain dropped in a short amount of time. But it is improtant that we conserve, no only when we're on restricitions but when we are off them as well. There is a 5 million people city (Atlanta) that is some 100 miles from a large source of water. If the city keeps growing the way it does there are going to have to do something major.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 PM

218 posts, read 1,189,312 times
Lightbulb Water Shortage...Are we REALLY running out?

Could it be true? Could it be that I'm taking a shower and the water just cuts off because I am over my "water rationing" limit?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Someone I used to hang out with years ago moved to Southern California and the area he moved to was in was in the middle of extreme water shortages at the time. This is what they did, and I talked to someone at my local water department and they said it's pretty much standard as to how many places do it...

1) Water use (outdoors) is restricted to certain days depending on your address.

2) When it gets worse, outdoor water use is cut off altogether for residences, except for professional car washing places, and landscapers.

3) Next step, carwashes must use recycled water in order to stay open for limited hours. Landscapers are no longer allowed to water.

4) Next, it is determined the "average" amount of water you use through the year. Then a certain amount % wise is knocked down off of that to conserve. Then, when you exceed that amount, you pay $$$ extra for the amount you go over. As in 3-5 times the regular amount you pay. In some areas, they just impose a flat fine instead of extra charges per gallon (from $100 to $1000 depending on violations).

* it got to this level in my friend's area. People paid hundreds of dollars for their water bills for around 3 months because they simply used too much water. He lived in a 1BR unit by himself and he had to pay $550 one month.

5) In the most extreme cases, and later even after #4 if there is no rain, if the user, neighborhood, or area continues to exceed a certain amount, they can get cut off and "rationing" begins. Basically, you have to go to the curb or a designated area where water trucks pour water into containers for you, and that's all the water you get.

If every person did a few things, it would really help things from getting that bad. Take an empty shampoo or water bottle and place one in the back of each toilet tank. It will save that much water every time you flush. Take shorter showers and/or use a shut-off switch and turn the water off while you're soaping up, and avoid filling up tubs and jacuzzis and jacuzzi tubs during times of droubt (as well as pools). Don't let the water run while brushing your teeth. Don't set the clothes washer at too high of a level for the amount of clothes you have in there, etc.

In other words, the average person does not do *everything* they could do to help conserve water. It's time to do it now, cause I'm willing to bet that it's a real pain in the ass to stand in line with uptight people you don't know trying to get a couple of buckets of water.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 AM

670 posts, read 2,114,756 times
Curious, does buying bottled water and using it for things like brushing your teeth, cooking, etc. help with local water shortage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia