Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:29 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,282 times

Advertisements

We are going to be doing a short-term (less than a year) relocation to a new state in a few weeks. Our current home (in State 1) is on the market but has not sold. We will be renting in State 2 and will be spending most of our time there. We will be going back and forth to State 1 probably 2-3 times a month. The vast majority of our belongings will stay in the house in State 1.

I have a few questions regarding residency. Assuming our home in State 1 does not sell any time soon:

1) Since we own the property in State 1 and will only be renting in State 2, will the home in State 1 still be considered our Primary Residence? Does the amount of actual time spent in each state determine which is Primary?

2) Where do we need to have our cars registered? Assuming the home in State 1 does not sell any time soon, do we still keep our cars registered there, even though they will be garaged in State 2?

3) Same question regarding our licenses. Do we need to switch licenses to State 2 or can we keep them in State 1?

4) Utilities for the rental will be in our names. Is that a factor in determining which is our Primary Residence?

5) Same question for mail. Do we put in a Forwarding Address or a Change of Address order with he Post Office? Is there a limit to how many months either is good for? If we put a Change of Address in at the Post Office, does that mean we've switched our Primary Residence to State 2? Would it be better to get a P.O. Box in State 2 rather than having home delivery?

6) We don't want mail accumulating in the mailbox in State 1, even though we anticipate checking it 2-3 times a month. Should we get a P.O. Box in State 1?

Sorry for so many questions! In our many, many moves over the past 30 years, this is the first time we've been in a 2-home scenario for more than 3 months, so it's all new territory . Thanks for any advice you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:59 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
Wow very good questions! The one I can answer is about forwarding mail having worked for them many years. You can put in a temp forward and then if you go back you can change it back. The post office has a form that changes a forward to another address or cancels it. A forward is good for one yr.

I am almost certain that yr primary residence is still in the 1st state. I am thinking about travel nurses that may be on assignment for six mos somewhere. Let's say that TN goes from MS to GA via their own vehicle. I am sure they don't register with the DMV in that new state. So you should be okay.

Now if I remember correctly when it comes to filing state taxes you would have to file for both states. I know I did when I moved from GA back to CA in middle of the yr.

I would check with state 2 local police and DMV to get clairty.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the info, Caligurl! It's especially good to know that a forward lasts one year -- I was afraid it was only 60 days.

Since I posted the OP, I've been trying to Yahoo/Google some answers but haven't had much luck. Most of the info seems to be geared toward people who want to be a landlord ("renting out my second home") or purchasing a second home.

One thing I came across made me think of yet another question: how about voting? Big election coming up (as if you didn't know ). I suppose we should vote absentee ballots for State 1 since by election day we'll have only been in State 2 for about 45 days.

This is far more complicated than I originally thought!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:29 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
One thing that you didn't ask about but could be a problem is state income tax (unless neither state involved has an income tax). Domicile is a complicated issue. Based on your post, it appears that your domicile would remain your current state, but you could end up being a statutory resident in the new state.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:07 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
In your shoes, I would retain State 1 as my state of primary residence, driver license, car tabs, voter registration, library card, etc. etc. Vote in State 1 by mail. You are only a temporary, "transient" resident elsewhere. IF your State 1 house were to sell AND CLOSE before January 1, 2009, adopt the address in State 1 of a relative or close friend. (Where you have the P.O. forward mail to is irrelevant in terms of legal residency.) Speak to the Universe to keep your house until Jan. 1.

STATE INCOME TAXES will matter. You have earned income in State 1. You will earn income in State 2. Assuming BOTH states have individual income taxes, you will have paid in to the system in both states in the correct manners. BUT you may be due a refund, or you may owe taxes, in one or both states -- be certain that you engage a CPA in February to make certain you are covered in both states. For example, if State 1 has NO individual income tax, but State 2 does, you will need the CPA's expertise to sort that out.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:13 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
In order to keep fire/dwelling/contents insurance on #1 keep it your primary.
You can get renter's insurance at #2

I think..
not sure
wow good questions!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:14 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
GREAT IDEA, crazyma!! And yes, you can get insurance in State 2 -- ins. companies will sell insurance on their grandmothers' teeth.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 AM

Excellent! Thank you, Jane, Allforcats and Crazyma (and thank you again, Caligurl)! We had already considered the income taxe issues (sadly for us, both states are big bite states), but hadn't thought much about the insurance question. So many things to consider.

Of course, if we get a reasonable offer (oh wouldn't that be nice!), well, that changes the whole equation, but I'm hoping that would bring good problems to solve .

Again, thank you!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Now, if you rent out House #1, then would #2 be your primary? And then should you change all your registrations, licenses, insurance...? We are moving to NV, which has no st. income tax from MI which does. I am sure I will have to get a CPA to help with taxes. I have always done my own, but not with all this.

Good questions, very confusing for sure.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 PM

Not sure, Kimba, but it's an excellent question.

I just checked with the DMV in State 2. Since we are keeping our home in State 1 (unless/until it sells, of course) and because we do not intend for State 2 to be our permanent residence, the DMV says we can keep our State 1 licenses and car registrations. In our circumstances, we will be considered temporary residents, like college students. Just like Allforcats said above .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues