Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:45 PM

663 posts, read 2,262,756 times

Advertisements

Hope this question makes sense. I am wondering if anyone moved to one place, realized it really wasn't their cup of tea and then moved back to the original place ... and what was the timeframe?

It's been almost 4 months for me and I am ready to bolt back to NY faster than a speeding bullet. I have never been this depressed following a move in my life. I hate to not give TX more time, but I am just not crazy about big cities, oppressive heat, and horrible traffic.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:51 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Hope this question makes sense. I am wondering if anyone moved to one place, realized it really wasn't their cup of tea and then moved back to the original place ... and what was the timeframe?

It's been almost 4 months for me and I am ready to bolt back to NY faster than a speeding bullet. I have never been this depressed following a move in my life. I hate to not give TX more time, but I am just not crazy about big cities, oppressive heat, and horrible traffic.
Moved from New Hampshire to New Mexico, missed the green landscape and friends and water. Moved back to New England after a year.

Here's the problem. Once you've made the big break you idealize the place you left, return, and find that you miss the other place--leaving you well and truly homeless! We eventually returned to New Mexico once I had soaked up enough New England to last.

The decision was really made for us both by our arthritis. It just hurts less to live in a dry climate. Oh, yes, and we didn't mind leaving the eternal cold and snow and those horrid heating bills and the incredibly high property taxes and the overall cost of living back East.

I don't like the "big cities, oppressive heat, and horrible traffic" that you don't like. Perhaps you could move a little further west where the weather is drier?

We live in a friendly town with zero traffic and little stress and access to some gorgeous scenery--but I had my doubts about it for the first six months until I started meeting people and finding meaningful activities. Maybe it's just a matter of finding your own spot. Give it a little more time. I certainly wish you the best of luck.

~clairz

Old 06-05-2008, 08:24 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,282 times
Gold Dust, you may want to take a peek at the answers given to this thread ---> How long does it take to figure out... started by UrbaneAspects just about 2 weeks ago (May 23, 2008). Sounds like you're asking pretty much the same question.

For what it's worth, even though I didn't move back to the same place I'd just come from, my "OMG this was a BIG mistake, I gotta get outta here!" move occurred within days of moving in and within 2 months, I moved out of that apartment, out of that city and out of that state. "Fled" is probably more accurate .

Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM

663 posts, read 2,262,756 times
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I have been reading that other thread, too. I also left my family back East as well, not so sure that moving to a smaller southern town would do it for me. I am already worried about how I am going to get through the holidays without all my family!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:54 AM

124 posts, read 470,323 times
Being away from family was one of the hardest parts in dealing with my move from California to Maryland. I'm finally in the process of moving back after almost ten years.

Maryland was never a good fit for me and I knew it from the start, but that's where my husband wanted to be. It took a long time for me to get used to MD, and our current location here is actually quite nice. Sadly, we'll never afford to live as close to the ocean in California as we do to the Chesapeake Bay here in MD but my husband was finally convinced that it was time to move west.

If I'd had my way, it would have happened a lot sooner, but I have to say that I'm going to miss lots of things about our current location. We live in a really nice small community right on the Bay. I'll miss sitting out on the deck watching the boats sail by on Sunday mornings. I'll miss walking to the beach. I'll miss lots of things that I never thought I'd ever think twice about (once I stopped to think twice about it.)

On the other hand, getting back to a drier, warmer climate being near family, and the places and things that I cherished from when I grew up in California: Disneyland, beaches, snow covered mountains, hiking in the high deserts, great Mexican food, etc. will be worth it.

Can't wait to get back! I'm just waiting on the house to sell, my husband is already in San Diego at his new job and I'm so freaking jealous.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:08 AM

213 posts, read 671,894 times
yes, I moved to Florida from Georgia for college. Life happened and I have been stuck here for eight years. Now things are finally falling into place and i will be moving back to Georgia soon. I tried to like living in florida but i just realized that after everything i did it just wasn't for me.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 27,698 times
I realized it even before we moved but it was too late then, we already had signed the papers and had the house set. I moved from Greensboro/McLeansville area to Lumberton, NC with my new husband. This is his hometown and his family has a farm here. We have a beautiful place back in the woods but we dont really have privacy and this place does not feel like mine at all. It feels like I am a tenant. The schools here are terrible and so is the daycare so I have not been able to go to work. I have been here 4 months and spent a lot of those months in a huge depression. My husband loves it here and wants to stay and I cannot wait to move! I have realized I moved here to make my husband happy and I have in turn ended up very unhappy.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Sometimes it takes awhile to get adjusted and not feel "homesick." We moved just within Texas and it probably took me 2 years to feel like Dallas was my home, maybe longer. Not to say you can't move back if you really feel you should, but sometimes it's just a matter of giving it long enough if there are reasons you need to be here. Does that make sense?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:28 PM

422 posts, read 1,362,092 times
I previously lived in Baltimore and then moved to NC for 5 yrs.. I then moved back to Baltimore 3 yrs ago.. 18 months into it -- I realized I want and need to be back in NC.. I have been working on finding employment for those 18months and so far nothing has worked out but I trust that the right thing will. Baltimore was better for me the first time around.. but I do worry about moving back to NC will the same thing happen that happened when I moved back to Baltimore..

Old 06-10-2008, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 15,669 times
I moved from CT to Altanta three years ago and just came back home to CT yesterday!!!

I was very depressed for a while too when I first moved down, but I hung in there and fell in love.... I say give it time and see if you can bond with some people and find something you like about it.... If not - there is never any shame in moving back home and starting over again! THAT'S LIFE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues