Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 PM

663 posts, read 2,262,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efaith22 View Post
I moved from CT to Altanta three years ago and just came back home to CT yesterday!!!

I was very depressed for a while too when I first moved down, but I hung in there and fell in love.... I say give it time and see if you can bond with some people and find something you like about it.... If not - there is never any shame in moving back home and starting over again! THAT'S LIFE!
Good to hear! Welcome back to CT!!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:10 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,768,415 times
My wife and I moved to Kentucky from Indianapolis,IN 9 months ago. I lived in Indy for 12 yrs, (3 yrs. with wife) and moved to her hometown of 25,000 and I was very homesick for traffic and everything else that goes with big city life. We planned on moving back after a year but had to go back for business 5 months later and then I actually missed home, (Kentucky) and now am glad we did not move back.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:57 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,030 times
We are going to be moving very shortly from our smallish town here in Maine to Albuquerque, NM. Its going to be a total culture shock for us, but we are looking forward to it.
Yes I will miss Maine, my family and friends. But to be honest, I've lived in this same town for the past 20 yrs and have never felt at home here. My old hometown is not what it was when I grew up there.
I am sure we will be homesick and I will hate city living, but we won't be in Albuquerque forever...we will find a small town to our liking, just have to take our time and look for it.
We plan to rent for a year or so, that way if we should decide to return to Maine, we're not stuck trying to unload a home in NM. However, I doubt we ever come back here.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:39 AM

303 posts, read 846,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
On the other hand, getting back to a drier, warmer climate being near family, and the places and things that I cherished from when I grew up in California: Disneyland, beaches, snow covered mountains, hiking in the high deserts, great Mexican food, etc. will be worth it.
Those, sans family, are the reasons why I can't wait to return to CA also!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:25 PM

79 posts, read 214,626 times
Two years! PLEASE give it 2 years years before you decide anything!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Hope this question makes sense. I am wondering if anyone moved to one place, realized it really wasn't their cup of tea and then moved back to the original place ... and what was the timeframe?

It's been almost 4 months for me and I am ready to bolt back to NY faster than a speeding bullet. I have never been this depressed following a move in my life. I hate to not give TX more time, but I am just not crazy about big cities, oppressive heat, and horrible traffic.
It's been 15 years and we have tried 3 times to return but the housing is so expensive (among other things) that it has prevented us returning. Home is home but our home has been going down hill for a long time. I would listen to your heart and return as long as you have employment or a family you could stay with while you look for work.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:45 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
When I left Calif in '96, I drove truck and my 'home base' was in Delaware for a short time. But then moved to Az.
Didnt intend on staying out there indefinately so never really got too cozy for that reason. After living in Az for 12 years, finally made it back. And its good to be home!
Did that make sense?

Old 03-14-2009, 12:58 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Hope this question makes sense. I am wondering if anyone moved to one place, realized it really wasn't their cup of tea and then moved back to the original place ... and what was the timeframe?

It's been almost 4 months for me and I am ready to bolt back to NY faster than a speeding bullet. I have never been this depressed following a move in my life. I hate to not give TX more time, but I am just not crazy about big cities, oppressive heat, and horrible traffic.
9 months. We left our beautiful area (Palm Desert, CA) to move to San Antonio, TX. A week of living in TX and I knew we had made a mistake, but since it was my idea to move, I didn't want to say anything. My son was unhappy too. He missed his friends. He had been in school with the same kids since kindergarten, and when we moved to TX he was in 7th grade.

While my son and I lived in TX, my husband was still in CA wrapping up his cases (he's a lawyer). When he moved to TX to be with us 8 months later, he didn't like it and he sat us down as a family and asked us if we liked living in TX or if we wanted to go back home. I was so glad he brought it up! We jumped on it and couldn't wait to get back home!

We've been back for about 2 years now, and every single day I thank God that we were able to come back home. My son is now in high school with the same friends he went to school with since kindergarten, and it feels like we never left California. Sometimes you don't realize what you have or how content and happy you really are until you don't have it anymore.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:22 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
I moved from socal to Oklahoma last fall. I went from endless suburb and probably a couple million people to a town of a bit more than 9 thousand.

I love it. Quiet, beautiful sky, air with no pollution, actually friendly neighbors, and while lots has been said to me about the weather its not all that bad. I went back for Thanksgiving to visit and started calling this place home and couldn't wait to see the end of the state as the train passed over the Colorado on the way home. No way EVER would I go back. I will visit but honestly don't really look that forward to it.

Even if I'd had doubts I'd stick it out here just because you have to give a new place a chance and see. I'm glad for those who came back and are happy, but I wonder how many are multi generation natives who had their state stolen by the invasion and the rush and the wall to wall people. I suppose if you liked it in the 90's you don't see what is lost, but Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas are drawing many many old time natives who just are fed up.

So, if you wanted to return, how long had you lived in your home? Why did you move? Did you keep looking at it wishing it would be like your old state? If you wanted to make it like there I'm pretty sure the people where you moved were glad to see you go.

People need to ask why they are moving. Some reasons are not good enough and guarentee they will remain unhappy.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I moved from socal to Oklahoma last fall. I went from endless suburb and probably a couple million people to a town of a bit more than 9 thousand.

I love it. Quiet, beautiful sky, air with no pollution, actually friendly neighbors, and while lots has been said to me about the weather its not all that bad. I went back for Thanksgiving to visit and started calling this place home and couldn't wait to see the end of the state as the train passed over the Colorado on the way home. No way EVER would I go back. I will visit but honestly don't really look that forward to it.

Even if I'd had doubts I'd stick it out here just because you have to give a new place a chance and see. I'm glad for those who came back and are happy, but I wonder how many are multi generation natives who had their state stolen by the invasion and the rush and the wall to wall people. I suppose if you liked it in the 90's you don't see what is lost, but Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas are drawing many many old time natives who just are fed up.

So, if you wanted to return, how long had you lived in your home? Why did you move? Did you keep looking at it wishing it would be like your old state? If you wanted to make it like there I'm pretty sure the people where you moved were glad to see you go.

People need to ask why they are moving. Some reasons are not good enough and guarentee they will remain unhappy.

I agree with ya, its so beautiful there. And the folks are downright pleasant people. In fact, thats one of the places Im pondering settling in a few years, but nothing set in stone yet as to exactly where. Definately OK is one of them though.
The more some try to discourage me ("oh, thats tornado country out there") the more I want to go just because. So what, ya dont like it, dont go, its that simple! Heck, Calif is earthquake country and its not like those natural disasters happen every single day. Ive know of people wh have lived in OK for years and their town hasnt been hit once. Maybe a nearby town only once, but not theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues