Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 08:09 PM

695 posts, read 702,617 times

Advertisements

When I was still in Connecticut, google maps for some reason moved my house to a street off of mine. I would watch people drive by, turn onto the other street, and the turn around and come back down the hill. I would have to wave them down. A friend living 20 miles away said her house was mis-mapped, too.

I drove from CT to South Carolina to visit siblings, and then across the country to Arizona. I used Apple Maps and had no problems.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:56 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
When I was still in Connecticut, google maps for some reason moved my house to a street off of mine. I would watch people drive by, turn onto the other street, and the turn around and come back down the hill. I would have to wave them down. A friend living 20 miles away said her house was mis-mapped, too.

I drove from CT to South Carolina to visit siblings, and then across the country to Arizona. I used Apple Maps and had no problems.
I'm in CT and my house was mismapped for awhile too! I had a roofer coming to give me a quote and my actual house was completely different than the one he looked up. I kind of liked being anonymous for those few years.

To the OP the one thing to keep in mind is if you will have cell service. If you don't and you're in the middle of a trip, the phone should still work. But if you go off route or try to start a new one, you won't be able to without service.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:36 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
I prefer Google Maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I like Waze more than Google or Apple maps. I think Google bought Waze? For long distances I'd still recommend a paper map. You never know when cell service will be spotty or nonexistent.
Yes Google bought Waze and incorporated their data into the Google Map data so it doesn't really matter which you use now. I used to use Waze but switched to Google Maps.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:27 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Yes Google bought Waze and incorporated their data into the Google Map data so it doesn't really matter which you use now. I used to use Waze but switched to Google Maps.
I don't believe thats accurate. Google acquired waze in 2013, but they ran them independently. As recently as last month, a new home we built was mapped in waze, but not Google. And user sourced data has always been separate in the two. Google added this feature a year or so ago, but its completely independent of data from waze.

Google just recently announced they would combine maps and waze teams, which is somewhat of a concern depending on who you ask.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-...ve-11670462301

Old 02-01-2023, 11:00 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Google on one phone and Waze on another phone … of course as mentioned, a good paper map.

Assuming you have a navigator/copilot?? It makes monitoring the various devices and paper map a lot easier obviously.
Nope - just me. That makes paper maps inconvenient at best, dangerous at worst - except at pit stops.

Old 02-02-2023, 06:32 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson865 View Post
Well, that settled nothing! Everyone has their own preferences, so I guess I'll just go with what I know. Bye all - gotta get packing!
I think that's a pretty good sign that you likely won't go wrong with either. And yes, it's all about what one prefers...

Old 02-02-2023, 06:59 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I prefer Google Maps.

I use Google maps and added Waze a couple of years ago, so Waze will jump in with their alerts. So they're both running somehow. And I love it.

I do lots of road trips and will plan different routes on the computer at home before I leave. To make sure the program takes me the way I want to go, I'll make a list of cities I plan to go through versus just the end location, then navigate to each one on my list.

As a business owner, I updated google maps when we moved our store, but kept getting complaints that people were getting directed to our old location. Turns out they were using Apple maps. In general, I just think most businesses keep their Google info current but may not think about updating on Apple.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:18 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I don't believe thats accurate. Google acquired waze in 2013, but they ran them independently. As recently as last month, a new home we built was mapped in waze, but not Google. And user sourced data has always been separate in the two. Google added this feature a year or so ago, but its completely independent of data from waze.

Google just recently announced they would combine maps and waze teams, which is somewhat of a concern depending on who you ask.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-...ve-11670462301
They have been sharing crowd sourced and traffic data since 2013. At this time they still do not share maps or routing algorithms. With them combining the teams however, it sounds like Waze is about to finally just be rolled up into google and they will essentially be the same app in the near future.

Old 09-06-2023, 02:15 PM

1,011 posts, read 785,461 times
I use google maps and waze but i always keep my old Garmin gps and download all the updates just incase the phone loses service.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:56 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
I use paper maps and Google Maps.

I've travelled across the US several times, for months at a time.

Every morning, I look at the paper map to understand where I'm going and what I'll see along the way. I set the route in my head so I know the general directions.

I then put the destination into Google Maps and compare the Google trip with my version from the paper map.

I find that google is very good, but sometimes I just want to detour off the "most efficient" or "fastest" or "shortest" route.

Always important to know whether the destination or the journey is most important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues