Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 06:20 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I like Waze more than Google or Apple maps. I think Google bought Waze? For long distances I'd still recommend a paper map. You never know when cell service will be spotty or nonexistent.
Go with Google: they indicate left or right turn/exit by arrows and voice - as far as I remember Waze doesn’t. Google owns Waze - killing it softly?
They may still need it/use it mainly for crowdsourcing though when reporting accidents..- that how Google knows/ show you what happens while in route.

Waze a bit chaotic in trying to re-route you - even Google sometimes sends you through an odd and perhaps not safe ”shortcut” reported by Wazers?
Usually younger crowd more attuned to Waze and like getting “thank you” and rewards points: the result is that there are a lot of “reports” - often insignificant and could be distracting

I don’t use re-route suggestions - 10-15 min don’t matter much on a 12 hour ride - unless we are talking a serious delay - like a tanker spilling on the highway or jackknifed truck in snow/ice.

In addition, it always looks to me that they just trying to alleviate the traffic congestion by advising the re-routings - hope that have of the people take it.
There is some AI psychology involved as well: “you are on the best route” - while the just told me that the other route “was the best route”

Look over directions before you sail. You don’t have to memorize it but look at the tricky turns, weird alleged shortcuts - Google will show you the photos of the exit, turns, key points.

Vote for Google

Last edited by L00k4ward; 01-30-2023 at 06:37 AM..

Old 01-30-2023, 07:12 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Google Maps is generally the superior product for sure.

But all of those apps have the issue that they will give you the fastest route. That sounds good at first but the reality of it is that they essentially expect you to drive like an Uber driver for whom time is money. There'll be random shortcuts through residential neighborhoods, messy routes through complex major interchanges, impractical left turns etc.

I wish there was an app that found you the 'easiest' route to drive rather than the fastest. For instance, from my location to the nearest big mall I can drive down one big road and then make one turn onto another big road and then drive that until I'm there. The navigation apps never suggest that route because traffic and lights will ensure that it'll be a few minutes longer than other routes which take you through various neighborhoods. Not a big deal for me as I now know the area well enough to drive them without navigation assistance, but if I was driving 'long distance' and was visiting another city, I'd probably happily waste that time and stay on main roads rather than get into a maze of little side streets just to get to my hotel a little faster.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:58 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
I use Apple Maps only because I have an iphone and I hate installing other apps. I think they've really stepped up their game in recent versions. It tells you what lane to be in and will offer reroutes, telling you how much time you'll save (which is easily negated when an accident happens on your "shorter" route after you take it)

I do have Waze on my phone but find it too distracting. Apple is starting to report accidents as well.

I agree with the sentiment of having an idea of your route and keeping paper maps with you. I've put a sticky note on my dash with route numbers, so if the app wants to take me a different way I have a chance to pull over and see what's happening.

Sometimes yes you will have to put in an intermediate destination but I've found that happening less frequently these days. ie I don't like going through NYC so I used to route myself to Harrisburg and once I got there I'd put in my actual destination. Now I hop on I84 and it eventually reroutes itself using I84 to I81.

About 10 years ago I was planning a trip to the eastern shore of VA and did not want to go through NYC. I had an idea where I wanted to route the trip, but was trying to figure out how to get the app to do it in sections and it didn't really exist at the time. I posted my question to an Apple forum and got so many shocked comments from presumably young kids who didn't understand why I didn't let the gps do it's job because "it knows best". Glad to see people get it now. I ended up getting a triptik for that one, AAA knew *exactly* what I was looking for!

Old 01-30-2023, 10:18 AM

6,789 posts, read 9,337,164 times
Honestly, they’re all pretty similar now in terms of capabilities and accuracy. You’re going to find one-off examples of issues like one of them not showing a new road on the map, but they’re all close.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:16 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,007 times
Neither. Prefer to use Waze over all of the others.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:26 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Go with Google: they indicate left or right turn/exit by arrows and voice - as far as I remember Waze doesn’t. Google owns Waze - killing it softly?
They may still need it/use it mainly for crowdsourcing though when reporting accidents..- that how Google knows/ show you what happens while in route.

Waze a bit chaotic in trying to re-route you - even Google sometimes sends you through an odd and perhaps not safe ”shortcut” reported by Wazers?
Usually younger crowd more attuned to Waze and like getting “thank you” and rewards points: the result is that there are a lot of “reports” - often insignificant and could be distracting

I don’t use re-route suggestions - 10-15 min don’t matter much on a 12 hour ride - unless we are talking a serious delay - like a tanker spilling on the highway or jackknifed truck in snow/ice.

In addition, it always looks to me that they just trying to alleviate the traffic congestion by advising the re-routings - hope that have of the people take it.
There is some AI psychology involved as well: “you are on the best route” - while the just told me that the other route “was the best route”

Look over directions before you sail. You don’t have to memorize it but look at the tricky turns, weird alleged shortcuts - Google will show you the photos of the exit, turns, key points.

Vote for Google
Waze does as well - even tells you which lanes you want to be in or how many turn lanes there may be. It may not be 100% of the time, but I doubt any app will be given changes that may happen to roads.

The one thing I like Waze above all other is the notification of road hazards as well as speed traps (or just LE presence). Even w/ Google maps, when you see traffic info, it will usually say it was reported via Waze. And of course, all of these are by other users, so the accuracy, etc is dependent on the info it receives. But at the end of the day, these are all situational. So you may be that first person to come across said situation and reporting it....

No app is immune to errors on routes/directions. I've seen it happen on all three as well as Garmins back in the day. The best way to avoid that is planning ahead if you can. Do check out your destination on Google Maps so you know where exactly things are. This way you don't end up on the back side of your destination w/ a river between you and the destination....

Old 01-31-2023, 09:07 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Well, that settled nothing! Everyone has their own preferences, so I guess I'll just go with what I know. Bye all - gotta get packing!

Old 01-31-2023, 10:20 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
I use both side by side. I drive/ride/travel a lot and and have found that the most useful. Google is best for route planning, searching for stops along the way, traffic (along route), etc. Wayze is (by far) the best for crowd sourced alerts (police, traffic cameras, construction, whatever). I plan on google maps, send to phone - then using apple car play, have both google maps and wayze running at the same time, typically with waze on the screen while moving and google maps as a backup.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:33 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,527 times
Google on one phone and Waze on another phone … of course as mentioned, a good paper map.

Assuming you have a navigator/copilot?? It makes monitoring the various devices and paper map a lot easier obviously.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson865 View Post
Well, that settled nothing! Everyone has their own preferences, so I guess I'll just go with what I know. Bye all - gotta get packing!
Ford or Chevy?
Coke or Pepsi
Tall Dark Handsome or Super Rich?

What I would have asked you is, explain the type of traveling you will be doing. I now drive more than I fly because I have more time to take these tips and enjoy driving. But, driving from Point A to Point B sticking primarily to the interstate with a specific targeted trip is not the same as wondering through back roads with flexible itinerary or trying to navigate through downtown traffic during peak events.

Generally, I find google maps a reliable trip planning tool where the number of changing variables are limited. But if I need to know if there's a speed trap on elm street or a street is blocked, or ????, google may not be best in real time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues