Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 04:16 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,675 times

Advertisements

I fell in love with a particular tree's blossoms last year and just had to know what they were. Somehow, I came up with the answer of it being a tulip tree (though I don't remember the research process now). The blossoms are large and start out a very vivid purple, then blossom into more of a white with the purple being on the bottom/outside of the blossom. There are some on Capital Blvd near downtown, and on Wade Ave. Anyway, I'm having engagement photos done in Fred Fletcher Park next month (where there are a few 'tulip trees') and googled today to see how long the blossoms would last so I'd know if they'll be around for the photos. But wikipedia says tulip trees have white/green blossoms with an orange band and the picture doesn't look like 'my tulip tree'. Anyone know what type of tree it is that I'm talking about? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
Perhaps some kind of magnolia?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:17 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,011 times
I think you might be looking for a tulip magnolia tree.
Tulip Magnolia | Magnolia Tree Care
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1362&bih=569
The blossoms are lovely, but I am not sure how long they last.

Last edited by mizunomom; 03-13-2011 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Add a link

Old 03-13-2011, 06:41 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,195 times
mizunomom is correct - a tulip magnolia is the tree you are looking for. The one in wikipedia sounds like a tulip poplar which are also common in our area.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,139 times
I love Magnolia trees, I've been telling myself to plant one at my house, so I can enjoy it in like 15 years lol.

If they are Magnolia trees, at least the ones around here, the blossoms seem to come and go fast. Too bad, because they are a beautiful flower.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Tulip Poplar = Tuliptree Magnolia. Tulip Poplars are actually in the magnolia family.

However Tuliptrees have yellow-green blooms, so I don't know that that was what you described.

Sounds more like a typical "saucer-type" magnolia -- the more common ones are usually as you describe with a purple/pink outer petal opening to display a creamy white center.

Google "saucer magnolia" (saucer is just a descriptive type to describe the shape of the blooms) and see if that is closer to what you are thinking of.

When I was growing up many people had a large one of these in their front yard -- because they bloom early (before they leaf out) the blooms are that much more noticeable. Unfortunately because they do bloom early, sometimes hard rains or high winds will take all the blooms off - in which case a carpet of white with pink tinge petals will litter the lawn below.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,768 times
I have a shrub that I think is in the Magnolia family, it has small pale yellow flowers with dark maroon on the center of the petals, they look like magnolias but they smell like bananas, my grandmother called them Banana Fiscatta, does anyone out there know what kind of shrub this is and if it is indeed a type of Magnolia?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
A quick search on google came up with the fact that "Magnolia Fuscata" seems to be the correct spelling - and it is indeed the Banana Magnolia. With a smaller bloom, but smelling of ripe bananas.

Sounds lovely! I love all magnolias - but this one's range (zone 8-10) is too South for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden