Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

24,647 posts, read 10,980,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Occasionally. (I'll take non-members there to shop, then we'll get something for immediate consumption.)

After spending $51 for 3 small burritos and 2 chicken & rice soups @ Norte's, I deserved a deal. And this was "to go..." Do this 40-50 times a month, and you start talking about some real money. (After-tax dollars too, so it's even more costly.)

For a "somewhat decent deal" I'll patronize TipTop Meats. I like their quality of meats, mostly.
Great to know that the 'help out' system is still in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
"Most food for your $" means a huge plate or plates (if this is a buffet) of cheap, overprocessed junk.
Huge portions are never associated with quality food.
It's a simple profit calculation.

Most people who prefer eating biggest meals for their $ are the cause of epidemic obesity.

Not my way of frugal living.
I didn't read it like that. I read it as the best *value*. We can't eat a lot at one time - well I guess we COULD, but we just don't eat like that - it doesn't feel good to us to overindulge so we don't.

So IF we eat out (and we don't very often) we like to go somewhere that we can either get two meals that don't cost an arm and a leg - OR, somewhere that we both like the same thing and the one meal is plenty for both of us.

Old Today, 06:48 AM

151 posts, read 50,661 times
Ahhhh ... nothing brings out the "I'm superior to you because of my food choices" crowd like these types of threads.

Anyway, the best bargain for us is the $9.99 Perdue rotisserie chicken from Shop Rite. We each get a meal out of it with enough left over for four sandwiches (two each) for lunch.

Also, we get four meals out of the $17 stromboli from our local pizza joint. Best stromboli around.

Old Today, 08:53 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,763,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I didn't read it like that. I read it as the best *value*. We can't eat a lot at one time - well I guess we COULD, but we just don't eat like that - it doesn't feel good to us to overindulge so we don't.

So IF we eat out (and we don't very often) we like to go somewhere that we can either get two meals that don't cost an arm and a leg - OR, somewhere that we both like the same thing and the one meal is plenty for both of us.
That's what I thought too. We'll pick up 2 steak dinners to go and the portions are so large, along with the sides, that we can split that easily into 4-5 meals, which makes it a good value for us.

Old Today, 09:14 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
We split things too, places just serve way too much food.

If we don't feel like splitting something, I'll try to get something that will also be good as leftovers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old Today, 11:35 AM

2,923 posts, read 2,586,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I opt for quality over quantity.
I can't say what our last fast food restaurant was.
We find that local restaurants that offer sit-down service aren't that much more than fast food joints. So we choose to go to those.
I initially misread your post. Editing my post to say that I feel there are very few restaurants whose food and ambiance seems like a real restaurant. Those that do are mostly mom & pop type restaurants, in my experience. The rest are (glorified) fast food joints. I oft for the less expensive choice so I choose the fast food joints over those sit-down restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living