Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 07:42 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The front porch? Oy. Talk about airing one's dirty laundry in public ! How do guests/mail or delivery persons/solicitors feel seeing that?
You fail to recognize the positives.

"I'm from the XXX religion. Would you care to talk with me about how we are saved from eternal damnation by ... Jeeez-us! what are THOSE!?!"

"I've been trying to reach you about your ... ... ... car's ... OMG, nevermind!"

"I'm from your HOA. We have a restriction on flying flags. What?!? Those are not flags, they are WHAT???? Let me see if we have a restriction on running those up the flagpole."

"I don't understand. You are vegan. You are with us trying to save the environment. You use your grey water to water plants. But are you now proudly suggesting that your .... don't stink?"

All of this had me chuckling. The reality is that bears go in the woods. When we were living on undeveloped land out in the boonies, the pipe from the black water tank went to a spot under a tree. The waste was GONE almost immediately. No odor, no muss, no fuss. No flies, no nasties. Waste issues are all about public health in crowded conditions. NEVER would I have done anything like that around close neighbors, but waste is organic. We are animals. Scary thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 07:52 PM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The reality is that bears go in the woods. When we were living on undeveloped land out in the boonies, the pipe from the black water tank went to a spot under a tree. The waste was GONE almost immediately. No odor, no muss, no fuss. No flies, no nasties. Waste issues are all about public health in crowded conditions. NEVER would I have done anything like that around close neighbors, but waste is organic. We are animals. Scary thoughts!
I hear you. When my buddy bought 15 acres way up north in the middle of nowhere the 1st thing we built was an outhouse... a hole in the ground then built a shed ontop of it.

It was basically me, him and his wife up there 95% of the time and after 3 yrs it was almost like the outhouse was brand new... no stink, no "filling" up.

We humans concentrate too much and like roaches it ends up a bit dirty, congested and gross :P

Old 07-14-2023, 08:09 PM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I just installed a bidet and its so much better and saves on toilet paper.
They are also called “bum guns.”

Much more cleaner.

TP is rather crude. Good quality bum-guns can bought on Amazon for $40 and you can easily install it yourself.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:17 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
A bidet does make sense, but I still don't know how to use it.

Is it true that you poop in the toilet, then move over to the bidet to have it wash you up?

Just get one of those fancy talking automatic Japanese toilets that clean you up and blow dry you afterwards
Here is a very informative thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...s-instead.html

I posted video how to use it.

Most Americans don't have designated bidet, they use bidet inserts ( to install on the existing toilet). So you don't need to worry about moving from toilet to bidet.
It's all in one place and not a rocket science.
Lots of Americans show an unexplained fear and anxiety when talking about bidets. Not sure why... It doesn't bite your behind!

The most important thing to remember is to turn the water knob very slowly till the water stream feels strong but comfortable. Then remember the setting.
Some people developed hate and aversion after a (too strong) water stream hit their behind. Too strong water stream can cause pain and discomfort.

Another thing that might be an issue to some is cold water. Yes, if you don't have warm water line nearby your toilet (sink) or electrical outlet, then cold water could be an issue. In warm climates is not a problem. Water stays warm in your plumbing pipes. But there is a hack - you can connect the water line to your sink warm water line. Then you have warm water in your bidet.
Or you can buy a more expensive option that heats the water and have more nice features, incl. pre-sets, sanitation, air dryer, light, heated water, heated seat, music, even remote control...lol

Last edited by elnina; 07-14-2023 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-14-2023, 08:25 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here is a very informative thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...s-instead.html
I posted video how to use it.
Most Americans don't have designated bidet, they use bidet inserts ( to install on the existing toilet). So you don't need to worry about moving from toilet to bidet.
It's all in one place and not a rocket science.
Thank you. Somehow this all seems like potty training to the uneducated.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:30 PM

316 posts, read 195,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
They are also called “bum guns.”

Much more cleaner.

TP is rather crude. Good quality bum-guns can bought on Amazon for $40 and you can easily install it yourself.
That's a different anal assault weapon. And you're correct that it is a much cheaper and simpler solution than installing a bidet which is a completely different appliance. If you've never been to Thailand, the "bum gun" or "ass hose" is similar to what was commonly installed at the kitchen sink beside the faucet to squirt the food residue off of the dirty dishes. Many of the restrooms in the higher-end malls have the multi-function toilets that feature the warm air and heated water functions that are becoming more common now here in the US, but you'll pay more than $40 to install one of those. Or you can modify your existing potty for something in between as mentioned above by elnina.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:47 PM

There are literally bidets for every budget.

Functional simple inserts are cheap (cheaper than lunch) and DIY.
Seriously, not a big risk and spending - it's $20!! Just give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/BIGCOW-Ultra-...ef=mp_s_a_1_14

More sophisticated luxury inserts are more expensive, but you might love it too much, you will never get up and leave your restroom...lol

https://www.amazon.com/BioBidet-Elon...sbv_search_btf

And every price in between:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bidets&cr...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Last edited by elnina; 07-14-2023 at 09:07 PM..

Old 07-14-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Thank you. Somehow this all seems like potty training to the uneducated.
How come? No university degree needed.

It's very simple - after you poop, you turn/push a knob that releases water that is very precisely aiming at your behind. After you rinse it (if you want you can use soap and wash it with your hand AFTER is rinsed off and clean), them use a designated, dry wash cloth to pat dry.

Just watch the video l posted.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:22 PM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Anecdotally speaking, having not used trees for personal hygiene in over 30 years, bidets rule.
Portable, improvised, and or engineered, there's nothing better than a blast of warm water.
Haven't suffered from hemorrhoids, entrapped residues, or other related maladies.
. .. .
Of course, one cannot forget a shout out to the world's greatest bathroom nation - Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXgdOfbQvs
. . .

Ten million views!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6hqHq7MLsc

Old 07-15-2023, 05:23 PM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCoffey View Post
That's a different anal assault weapon. And you're correct that it is a much cheaper and simpler solution than installing a bidet which is a completely different appliance. If you've never been to Thailand, the "bum gun" or "ass hose" is similar to what was commonly installed at the kitchen sink beside the faucet to squirt the food residue off of the dirty dishes. Many of the restrooms in the higher-end malls have the multi-function toilets that feature the warm air and heated water functions that are becoming more common now here in the US, but you'll pay more than $40 to install one of those. Or you can modify your existing potty for something in between as mentioned above by elnina.
I live in South East Asia.

I've been to Thailand many times and and in the country I live in nearby, almost every single toilet has a bum-gun.

And as you note, there is no need to buy and install and pay for a bidet.

Good quality bum-guns are on Amazon right now for $40.

Installing is easy as turning a nob. There are several Youtube videos on how to install them. Just plug in and turn it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living