Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 02:55 PM

54 posts, read 32,931 times

Advertisements

We only do vacations once in a while. Our last vacation was 2020 before covid started, then we had one beginning of this year. I have so many pets now, it’s very difficult to find someone trustworthy to come feed them and to have someone in my house. I don’t trust those stranger sitter services. So next year is probably my last vacation for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 11:58 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
I'm from Kansas, so I never regret a vacation, even if I just drive to Arkansas or something. I understand the cost complaints, though. Most hotels seem to be falling to pieces, definitely not worth $200 a night.

Old 03-24-2023, 01:56 PM

821 posts, read 464,504 times
Vacations in their present form are not worth the costs to DW and me, no.

Old 03-24-2023, 04:39 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I'm a single person and it can be around $2,000 for me to take a 5-7 day vacation. I feel like there's so many other things I could spend that money on for what is just a weeks trip. Basically after its over you are left with nothing. But lets say I spend that money on something physical like new flooring or whatever, I get to enjoy that purchase for a long time.

If you do it right you'll be left with memories that no one can ever take away from you. Personally, I'd rather have those than a new car every year.

Old 03-24-2023, 04:43 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
In 2020 two weeks before the pandemic, I went on a 5 day heli-ski trip in British Columbia and it was not cheap.

I could have put in new flooring and windows in my entire house for what I paid for those 5 days.

And since then, there has not been one single day that I have not thought about what a fantastic time I had that week.

Those thoughts will likely last a lifetime. No regrets....

BRAVO! Well Done!

Don Henley put it very well: You don't see no hearses with luggage racks

Old 03-25-2023, 11:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I'm from Kansas, so I never regret a vacation, even if I just drive to Arkansas or something. I understand the cost complaints, though. Most hotels seem to be falling to pieces, definitely not worth $200 a night.
Agree that hotels are often very worn out, especially in Florida and Vegas. But I can still find plenty of decent ones under $100, even in those popular places. The last time I spent anywhere near $200 on a hotel would have been Singapore or Tokyo. We have done Palm Springs, Vegas, San Diego, Malibu, SF, Tucson, PHX, Hawaii (3 islands), and several other USA destinations since Jan 4 2023 all for under $100/night each.

There are many traditional B&B's still under $100. Recently did a trip in the Kansas sandstone area and stayed in farm homes for $20/night. Very memorable trip, as always. Fuel is free (home brew). Vehicle maintenance is under $100 per 100,000 miles. (Including near new $5 tires, bought from wrecking yard).

For entertainment... You will likely find me at a local folk festival, or a High school or college drama or music presentation, or nature or travel discussion.

Food... Our $20 / night hosts often pack us a lunch, after providing a hearty breakfast. While traveling, we only eat out one meal / day, usually a grocery or deli will suffice, tho I like to sample traditional local cuisine (usually in private homes).

If a vacation is too expensive for your budget... And you want or need a vacation.... There are now lots of options; Virtually, or via social network, or volunteering ... Or just 'check-out' at your favorite local destination within walking distance.

Enjoy the adventure, or seeing your life / situation through a fresh set of eyes.

Old 03-25-2023, 01:13 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Agree that hotels are often very worn out, especially in Florida and Vegas. But I can still find plenty of decent ones under $100, even in those popular places. <snipped>
I'm not so sure. In a recent quick trip to North Carolina, the number of reviews of places that cited a bedbug problem was concerning, to say the least. Also, microwaves in rooms are going away in many places. I can understand why from the POV of the hotel/motel. Messy, a fav of the nearly homeless, introducing pest critters other than them, and keeps people from eating at local restaurants.

As with anything where people are involved and there is something innovative or friendly, the phrase "This is why we can't have nice things!" applies.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:20 PM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I live reasonably frugally so that I can go on vacation.

There were 52 weeks in 2018. I could not tell you about most of them, but I strongly remember the two weeks in Bali.

2020 was mostly covid and annoying lockdowns, but before that happened I spent two weeks in Morocco and Spain. Best two weeks of the year.

In my opinion, those experiences are the reason for living.
I agree.

I can't imagine having the 'lack of adventure' attitude of some of the people in this thread.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:39 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I'm a single person and it can be around $2,000 for me to take a 5-7 day vacation. I feel like there's so many other things I could spend that money on for what is just a weeks trip. Basically after its over you are left with nothing. But lets say I spend that money on something physical like new flooring or whatever, I get to enjoy that purchase for a long time.
I am devoted to the saying: Nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel.

I've always looked upon my foreign and domestic travels as the best return on my money, over the years.

Your memories, you can take with you when you die.

New flooring, that doesn't go with you.

There are ways to take cheaper vacations, staying in hostels the best way to make a trip cheaper. Yes, you can stay in NYC as cheap as $15 a night, in a room with 2 triple bunk beds.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:23 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I am devoted to the saying: Nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel.

I've always looked upon my foreign and domestic travels as the best return on my money, over the years.

Your memories, you can take with you when you die.

New flooring, that doesn't go with you.

There are ways to take cheaper vacations, staying in hostels the best way to make a trip cheaper. Yes, you can stay in NYC as cheap as $15 a night, in a room with 2 triple bunk beds.
I traveled a lot when I was in the military and saw more places than I ever expected so I really have no desire to go anywhere else. There are certain places I enjoy and would love to go back, but if I dont, its really not a big deal to me. Im almost 50 and contrary to what many believe at this age, I personally think im on the final chapter and would rather save my money to pass down to my kids to enjoy with their family instead. Flooring may not go with you, but I enjoy classic cars and when I die I can pass those down to the kids as well so they will have memories of me. Ill be dead so memories will be irrelevant, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living