Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 08:16 AM

746 posts, read 837,904 times

Advertisements

In 2020 two weeks before the pandemic, I went on a 5 day heli-ski trip in British Columbia and it was not cheap.

I could have put in new flooring and windows in my entire house for what I paid for those 5 days.

And since then, there has not been one single day that I have not thought about what a fantastic time I had that week.
Those thoughts will likely last a lifetime. No regrets....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 08:18 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
wants of the sort that include a fancy meal or better car.
I much much prefer spending my "experience budget" on restaurants compared to vacations. You can go to restaurants on vacations, yeah, but there are so many other costs. And I don't like living out of a suitcase and not sleeping in my own bed.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:47 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
In 2020 two weeks before the pandemic, I went on a 5 day heli-ski trip in British Columbia and it was not cheap.

I could have put in new flooring and windows in my entire house for what I paid for those 5 days.

And since then, there has not been one single day that I have not thought about what a fantastic time I had that week.
That is how you know something was worth it. No regrets. No second guessing. No wishing differently.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:56 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
We do several vacations a year and do house repairs

Old 03-20-2023, 09:27 AM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
For us, vacations are a way to recharge and rejuvenate, so they are worth it. It is a way to “escape” from life for a while, we enjoy them! We are left with the wonderful memories!

Old 03-20-2023, 10:05 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post

That is the key point ...vacations (especially good ones) create memories that last a lifetime....
my family still talks about that amazing RV vacation across North America we did ...and that was a long long time ago...a good vacation broadens your horizons....takes you away from hum drum day to day living...and recharges your batteries....

Takes you away from the dull routine...woke up ...ate breakfast ...turned on the radio...later watched TV....
boring stuff...

That being said ....I haven't been a vacation in a very long time....but I'm glad of all those memories from various vacations...and glad I did them back then....everything was cheaper and better back then...not so good these days ...and covid didn't help.

Old 03-21-2023, 01:55 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Some vacations are overrated and some are worth it. It just depends on what you like and can afford. Hawaii is overrated to me. Beautiful, but lacking aloha and the cost for the family was half of a new car. I'd absolutely love to go back to Yellowstone and stay in the lodge by Old Faithful. We camped last time and even though we were there for five days, we only got to see a fraction of the park. I'd also be happy going to stay in a log cabin some place and just relax or go hiking . My husband wants to go on a cruise. I'll go, but it's not my first choice. I'd prefer wooden floors or a new paint job.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:35 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,595,514 times
I tend to think of it in terms of hierarchy of needs:

1. All bills current and paid.
2. Necessary home/car repairs completed and paid.
3. Home updated and pleasing to my eye. I have to live in my home all year long so I prioritize that over a vacation.
4. Local entertainment to avoid monotony.
5. Travel dependent upon cost/experience value.

Since a vacation is experiential, the value will be subjective. I have a sister who has never had any interest in traveling and has been happy with landscaping, hardscaping her grounds with an in-ground pool and entertaining family -- money that would have been spent on vacations and she has many fond memories.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:11 PM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I tend to think of it in terms of hierarchy of needs:

1. All bills current and paid.
2. Necessary home/car repairs completed and paid.
3. Home updated and pleasing to my eye. I have to live in my home all year long so I prioritize that over a vacation.
4. Local entertainment to avoid monotony.
5. Travel dependent upon cost/experience value.
3-4 can vary from person to person. For example, I'd value a vacation over having a new kitchen countertop. But yes, I typically agree.

So it basically depends on your income.

Someone making 30k a year, probably needs most of their money for 1 and 2. And a bit of 4.

But someone making 60k a year, has all their necessities paid for, can afford basic entertainment, and they can save $1-2k for a vacation.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
I would never trade the memories of my lifetime of travel for a new floor, a new car, etc.

Beginning as a teenager, I traveled the world frugally, utilizing hostels, stand-by air tickets, and every bargain I could find.

About 100 countries on 6 continents so far, most of them repeatedly. Probably won't ever go to Antarctica, but I've been fairly close to it on a cruise ship.

Now that I'm older, I've traded my backpack for wheeled luggage, and utilize group tours, cruises, 5-star hotels, and nice vehicles.

I would gladly go back to being a poor traveler if I could be young again. Meanwhile, I hope to get another 10-20 years out of this old carcass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living