Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:48 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The broccoli empanadas have become a favorite around here. They are seriously tasty and great lunch box fare. Another hit with my kids were the chocolate zucchini muffins. Makes a bunch, and they also travel well. The peach cake is absolutely divine but a little rich for every day eating. We also like the cauliflower tacos and the chana masala with raita. I am planning to make that last one tonight for dinner.
Let's put it his way. I *only* made the chocolate zucchini muffins and they rejected them. Still, to this day I make the usual recipe and my youngest always asks "do they have zucchini in them?" and it was so long ago that I didn't remember where they're getting it from that they would have zucchini.. until I read this post and remembered I made those Good and Cheap ones over the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 02:58 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Let's put it his way. I *only* made the chocolate zucchini muffins and they rejected them. Still, to this day I make the usual recipe and my youngest always asks "do they have zucchini in them?" and it was so long ago that I didn't remember where they're getting it from that they would have zucchini.. until I read this post and remembered I made those Good and Cheap ones over the summer.
Kids are funny. We inhale those muffins, but my kids are all teenagers and not at all picky eaters. They'll pretty much eat anything I put in front of them. Believe it or not, one of their favorite meals is something I affectionately call prison food. It's mixture of basmati rice and French lentils topped with thinly sliced sautéed onions. Super cheap, dead simple to make, and really filling. It's a traditional food for Lent, but my kids will happily eat it any time of year. They're a little weird.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:02 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
Well, you got me.

I spend on things like broccoli, cabbage, cucumbers, cauliflower, red peppers, zucchini, bananas, grape fruit, chips, salsa and spend $180 in a little less than 2 weeks.

I envy ya'll that can eat on $4 and less. I think we should put our height and weight out there to give balance when comparing food spending. I'm 6' 3" and 240 lbs.
I'll give it to you that needs can vary by person, but I've found the cookbook to be a valuable guide for those seeking to eat on a pretty tight budget. We used just this cookbook for a Lenten project earlier this year. Not everything was a success, but lots of dishes made it into our regular meal rotation, most notably the broccoli empanadas, which I'm probably going to make tonight. Other dishes we loved included...

Pasta with eggplant and tomato
Savory summer cobbler
Cauliflower tacos
Vegetable quiche
Creamy polenta w/ spinach and egg
Cauliflower cheese
Spicy tilapia
Roasted peppers and potatoes
Leek & potato pizza
Chana masala w/ raita & roti
Peach coffee cake

Old 12-11-2015, 05:03 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times
Quote:
I ran out of coffee filters once and resorted to a wet paper towel to hold the grounds. I haven't spent on coffee filters since. I just dump the grounds and rinse the towel. It lasts about a week or so.
If you want to stop buying paper towels, try a french press for coffee. No coffee filters/paper towels needed.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:51 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Thinking outside the "box" for >[Food]<
If you have the space to store it, and process it, you can save a fortune on a long term storage food cache.

Cheap, in bulk, and when sprouted, very nutritious
__ Sprouts, bean and grain - http://sproutpeople.org

Pemmican is an item most folks haven't experienced, due to the Food Police push to force Americans away from hard fats and lard.
__ Pemmican - Pemmican: The Original MRE
During the Second Boer War (1899–1902), British troops were given an iron ration made of four ounces of pemmican and four ounces of chocolate and sugar. The pemmican would keep in perfect condition for decades.

Corn (maize) can be used in a variety of ways. But don't fail to nixtamalize corn used for flour, etc.
__ Nixtamalization for maize (corn) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization

Sprouted rice has become a new celebrity fad food - but only brown rice will germinate. Do not try this with white rice.
__ GABA rice -http://www.instructables.com/id/HOWTO-make-GBR-germinated-or-sprouted-brown-rice/
Germinated Brown Rice

Pickling / fermenting can be done with a large variety of candidates, including meat and fruit. But most are familiar with pickled cucumbers, and cabbage. Home fermented has a far superior taste over the "mass processed" picklers - who do not ferment their products.
__ Brine fermentation of sauerkraut Brine-Fermented Sauerkraut | The Joy of Cooking

Though bulk flour is fairly inexpensive (20 lb or larger), if you want unadulterated and fresh whole wheat flour, you're probably going to need to mill it yourself. That is NOT a big problem with modern mills. And if you buy bulk wheat berries, they'll store very well. Mill only the amount you need, and you won't have to deal with rancid oils and such.
__ Grain mill - WonderMill Grain Mill & Wonder Junior Wheat Grinder
Note: WhisperMill is not equivalent to the WonderMill despite similar appearances. The WonderMill has a more powerful motor, etc.,etc.
(There are some anecdotes that suggest eating fresh milled whole wheat does not seem to irritate those who have "gluten" allergies. YMMV)

Fermenting hardware
> Fermentacap [] Compact Airlock Cap for Fermented Foods
> Boss Silicone one way valve [] Primal Kitchen Company
> Airlock [] http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Plastic-Airlock-Sold-sets/
> . . . Grommet for lid [] http://www.amazon.com/GROMMETS-BPA-f...one-Fermenting

Addendum:
PRESSURE COOKER recipes of the year
http://www.hippressurecooking.com/10...hey-got-there/

Last edited by jetgraphics; 12-11-2015 at 05:59 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 10:11 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Here are some additional ideas for eating on the cheap. The meals are vegetarian, but even non-vegetarians can incorporate some of them into their weekly meal plans. In fact, I'm sure that many already routinely use some of these recipes.

21 Meals, $40: Grocery Shopping for One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB-L76p6XT4

Old 12-12-2015, 06:10 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
I ran out of coffee filters once and resorted to a wet paper towel to hold the grounds. I haven't spent on coffee filters since. I just dump the grounds and rinse the towel. It lasts about a week or so.
I use an electric percolator, which doesn't require a filter at all, since it has its own stainless steel filter. It also uses less coffee than a drip-like Mr. Coffee.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:15 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
Why would you put them in the food budget? In my house they have their own category.
I buy things together. What matters is the total monthly bill. So I don't go home and separate the cost of non-food vs pet vs food expenses. It doesn't really matter, in the end. What matters is what was spent for maintenance of the home and all who are in it.

My thoughts are this:

1. Don't spend unless you need it, or really really really want it badly;
2. Buy it on sale if at all possible
3. Look for a coupon to use, if at all possible
4. Preferable to buy an item both on sale and with a coupon
5. Buy generic/store brands, if they are comparable, and if cheaper than brand name on sale or w/coupon.

Then I just try to make things last, which means I think about it before I eat it or use it. I also try not to buy things that will go bad before I can eat them (most veggies), so I pay for frozen veggies.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:04 AM

505 posts, read 716,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I buy things together. What matters is the total monthly bill. So I don't go home and separate the cost of non-food vs pet vs food expenses. It doesn't really matter, in the end. What matters is what was spent for maintenance of the home and all who are in it.

My thoughts are this:

1. Don't spend unless you need it, or really really really want it badly;
2. Buy it on sale if at all possible
3. Look for a coupon to use, if at all possible
4. Preferable to buy an item both on sale and with a coupon
5. Buy generic/store brands, if they are comparable, and if cheaper than brand name on sale or w/coupon.

Then I just try to make things last, which means I think about it before I eat it or use it. I also try not to buy things that will go bad before I can eat them (most veggies), so I pay for frozen veggies.
Good for you. I do all of those things too, although I seldom use a coupon because there usually isn't one for the things I buy(In my area I pretty much only see them for processed food). I am pretty detail oriented and everything is broken down. YMMV and obviously does. I just find looking at categories interesting, when I see one increasing steady I try to figure out why. I live on a very small budget.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:56 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I use an electric percolator, which doesn't require a filter at all, since it has its own stainless steel filter. It also uses less coffee than a drip-like Mr. Coffee.
I have a friend who swears by her electric percolator, saying it makes the best coffee. I have had her coffee and it is pretty dang good. What brand do you have? I would like to try one out someday. She has an old stainless steal one that was her grandmother's... I suppose they are built very well and do last at least through three generations of daily use!

Of course, when our electricity went out... she was at my house for coffee. We heated up the water on the camping stove and used the french press for the morning coffee. It was still pretty dang good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living