Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 01:27 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
......pots and pans, which have lately become very expensive to buy. I make do ........
I'm not going to disagree with anyone who uses old pans to cook, but my personal belief about cookware is that good pans are a good investment. I save a lot of money by cooking at home instead of eating out and the right pans and cook ware make it much more enjoyable to cook at home.

Quality pans last nearly forever if they are well cared for. My set of Circulon pans is 17 years old and still good as new. Easy clean-up make cooking easier, and the Circulon is about as easy to clean as it gets. Quality cast iron can last for centuries.

I have to cook gluten-free and the proper silicon cookware costs a lot of money, but it makes it possible to easily cook things that would be very difficult with standard bake ware.

My idea of Frugal involves the right tool for the job obtained at the best price for the quality, not so much doing without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 02:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Paper towels aren't actually food grade. Something you might want to look into.
What does that mean? Does it mean that it actually hazardous to your health to consume any food that has been in contact with a paper towel? Or does it mean only that paper towels do not need to meet any FDA standards for food safety? Should I "look into" whether it is OK to wipe out a damp cup with a paper towel, and then reuse it without rendering it clinically antiseptic in a dishwasher with the temperature of the water set above some minimum standard?

Aside from idle curiosity, I actually might not want to look into whether everything that touches my food is "food grade". Food safety media can be very tiresome.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:16 PM

374 posts, read 492,733 times
Quote:
What does that mean? Does it mean that it actually hazardous to your health to consume any food that has been in contact with a paper towel? Or does it mean only that paper towels do not need to meet any FDA standards for food safety? Should I "look into" whether it is OK to wipe out a damp cup with a paper towel, and then reuse it without rendering it clinically antiseptic in a dishwasher with the temperature of the water set above some minimum standard?

Aside from idle curiosity, I actually might not want to look into whether everything that touches my food is "food grade". Food safety media can be very tiresome.
Hi Jtur,

I use to use paper towels for coffee a few times as well. Then found out many things and happened to visit a paper pulp factory. Their machines, workers and chemicals are far from food grade.
I think she might have meant due to this :

In the production of paper, the bleaching process is used to whiten the paper as well as to remove the "lignin" in wood pulp (lignin holds the wood fibers together to form a tree). In the United States, chlorine gas or chlorine derivatives are used for bleaching most paper products. Unfortunately, these chemicals are known to create dioxins as a by-product of the bleaching process. According to a growing body of research, many of the common household paper products we use everyday, such as paper towels, toilet paper, coffee filters, tea bags, disposable diapers, tampons, facial tissues, and milk cartons can contain traces of dioxin!
Just putting information, each family has their own needs, and what they feel is fine. From what I understand paper towels have quite a bit of chemicals used in their process. I bought a permanent filter and just wash it.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
Thanks. Is there any empirical evidence that this dioxin trace from this source has ever accumulated in any user to the point that it has any effect on health or wellness?

Are you sure that coffee filters are not chlorine-bleached and do not form dioxins?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Is there any empirical evidence that this dioxin trace from this source has ever accumulated in any user to the point that it has any effect on health or wellness?

Are you sure that coffee filters are not chlorine-bleached and do not form dioxins?
I really like your posts, especially of your trips. I won't derail this thread any more but since you asked: There is plenty of research out there. Dioxins enter the body in food and from products and accumulate in body fat. But as I stated each must do what is best for them and their family. I could put tons of links and research but I am sure that would be boring...LOL

Back to the book I saw Dr Oz, Cosmo, Food and Wine all loved it and the recipes as well. To make it all even better, this cookbook is dedicated to the low-income community and helping those with limited income learn to cook healthy and enjoyably, without being preachy or condescending. For any copy you buy, one gets donated to someone who needs it. That is the part I think is awesome and just thought I would share.

Last edited by AngelWingDesigns; 12-10-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 10:37 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,601,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I saw a PBS segment on this - a cook and her cookbook:

Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4 a Day
By Leanne Brown

Author's site: Leanne Brown

Book's site: Good and Cheap: Main Description: $16.95: Workman Publishing

PBS program: Three recipes you can make under $4 per serving
Is it $4 a DAY, or $4 a SERVING? $4 a serving isn't exactly cheap, by my standards. For 3 meals a day for one person, that's $12/day, not counting snacks & beverages, times 30 days = $360/month, not counting snacks, beverages, special events.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:52 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,601,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
Wow, you guys spend big on food. I eat for $1.23 per day. Sometimes less. Steak from grass fed cows, lobster, salad, crab legs, line caught tuna, range fed chicken.
How? Steak and lobster are expensive, luxury items. Range chicken, also expensive.

Where do you shop? How much do you buy?

I spend a lot more than you, and I eat about 1,400 calories a day, NO beef or pork at all, and cook almost exclusively at home except a few times a year for special events.

Not sure how much I spend on food alone, since I shop for 2 dogs, food, and household items together.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Is it $4 a DAY, or $4 a SERVING? $4 a serving isn't exactly cheap, by my standards. For 3 meals a day for one person, that's $12/day, not counting snacks & beverages, times 30 days = $360/month, not counting snacks, beverages, special events.
Leanne Brown decided to write a cookbook for eating healthy on $4 a day -- the amount of money that SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program aka "food stamps") recipients must live on.

I cook from scratch for health and almost all my meals so no 4.00 a serving is not cheap but 4.00 a day is for many.

After the pdf went viral (it's since been downloaded more than 900,000 times newest count I guess), Brown and her husband launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a print run. It raised $144,000, the most successful Kickstarter campaign to date for a cookbook, which eventually enabled them to donate 20,000 cookbooks to people in need through partner organizations, and make another 50,000-plus cookbooks available at cost.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:00 PM

32,961 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
How? Steak and lobster are expensive, luxury items. Range chicken, also expensive.

I spend a lot more than you, and I eat about 1,400 calories a day, NO beef or pork at all, and cook almost exclusively at home except a few times a year for special events.

Not sure how much I spend on food alone, since I shop for 2 dogs, food, and household items together.
Maybe he lives in Maine, keeps a few chickens and rustles cattle.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:12 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,713,406 times
Quote:

That poster already retracted that myth in post #7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
Well, you got me.

I spend on things like broccoli, cabbage, cucumbers, cauliflower, red peppers, zucchini, bananas, grape fruit, chips, salsa and spend $180 in a little less than 2 weeks.

I envy ya'll that can eat on $4 and less. I think we should put our height and weight out there to give balance when comparing food spending. I'm 6' 3" and 240 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living