Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times

Advertisements

I just went on the Weather Channel site and looked at the historical temperature records by month for the three places I currently have homes. Let's just take the two monthly averages that have the higest and lowest temperatures for each area.......

East Central Coast of NJ: Jan Low 22 Jan High 41 Jul Low 57 Jul High 86
East Coast of SC: Jan Low 37 Jan High 58 Jul Low 72 Jul High 90
SW Coast of FL: Jan Low 53 Jan High 75 Jul Low 73 Jul High 91

NJ Record High/Low: 105 (1999) -19 (1982)
SC Record High/Low: 103 (1986) 4 (1985)
FL Record High/Low: 99 (1986) 26 (1982)

The above data are for Brick, NJ, Murrells Inlet, SC and Naples, FL.

Florida too hot?? I think not. NJ too cold? I'd tell you but my tongue is stuck to a light pole......

I have been through several NJ summers where the temperature stayed well above 90 and up toward and over 100 for a week or more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I just went on the Weather Channel site and looked at the historical temperature records by month for the three places I currently have homes. Let's just take the two monthly averages that have the higest and lowest temperatures for each area.......

East Central Coast of NJ: Jan Low 22 Jan High 41 Jul Low 57 Jul High 86
East Coast of SC: Jan Low 37 Jan High 58 Jul Low 72 Jul High 90
SW Coast of FL: Jan Low 53 Jan High 75 Jul Low 73 Jul High 91

NJ Record High/Low: 105 (1999) -19 (1982)
SC Record High/Low: 103 (1986) 4 (1985)
FL Record High/Low: 99 (1986) 26 (1982)

The above data are for Brick, NJ, Murrells Inlet, SC and Naples, FL.

Florida too hot?? I think not. NJ too cold? I'd tell you but my tongue is stuck to a light pole......

I have been through several NJ summers where the temperature stayed well above 90 and up toward and over 100 for a week or more!
Wow, for a whole week, maybe 2???? Try that from April through October non stop.... We pray for it to last a week or 2, but it goes on and on for months on end, with no relief until late October-early November if we are lucky.

This "average temperature" thing is really so irrelevent.... It does NOT factor in the DEW POINT, and the HUMIDITY, which changes the so called average temps a LOT. Why doesen't anyone see that? If it is 92 here, dew point of 73-75 like it always is, humidity of 80% the heat index will be 104 or so. I don't care how they say it with "average temps" the real feel is the killer down here.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 PM

My only experience so far in Florida during the summer was a week + in Disney in early August several years ago. It was a trip I had won on a radio contact, so we were not able to pick the dates. We would have never chosen to go in August. I expected to die.

To my suprise, it did not feel any different than August in NJ.

We have visited Orlando several other times in November and April. It was much nicer than NJ.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I don't understand the point of this thread.

Tmozer, you just bought a condo in Naples that you are very happy and excited about. No one told you not to buy it or said it will be too hot for you. So why create this thread? Are you having buyers remorse?

I noticed on another thread you mentioned having three homes now and off-handedly said you were looking at yourself in the mirror and second-guessing it, or something of that nature (I'm not exactly sure, but you know what I mean). Look. You only live once. If it was a mistake, then you'll live with it and it will all work out. If not, great. But these sort of threads tend to be pointless.

What's too hot? What may be too hot for you may not be too hot for me and so on. Dewpoint has an awful lot to do with it. Yes. It will be hotter, with the dewpoint, in Naples than it is in Murell's Inlet and it will last a very long time. Will you die? No. I don't think so.

But I hate to see your second thoughts turn into battles with other folks on here. We are just volunteers and, deep down, we really like helping other people.

And my gut feeling is you'll be happy. If it gets too hot, go back to Murrell's Inlet for a spell. By the way, I'd love to take a vacation in that area.

And do you have your NJ home on the market, right now? It's a good time, with that credit only available until the end of April.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
The SW Florida heat is relentless for nearly 6 months straight only interrupted by afternoon thunderstorms which shoot up the humidity. It is hot in the morning, afternoon, evening and 3AM at night. You need AC on for 6 months unless you want to sweat constantly and like mold growing in your shoes in your closet. I do not think that happens in NJ for 6 months of the year.

Sure, it gets cold and you all have the opposite long indoor season than we do, so it is a matter of what you prefer, hot or cold. The bottom line is, most people who move here moaning about the cold end up hibernating from the heat, it is truely oppressive and relentless. 91 as an average sounds cool, most days it is much hotter. NJ is never as humid as SW Florida, so even if it does techincally get "hotter" there, it doesn't feel as bad.

Many days here are in the mid 90s and humid with little breeze. I personally enjoy the heat, but I can tell you that I am in the vast minority and the heat is usually too much for people, especially when it starts early (March some years) and drags on late (into December sometimes). Pick your poison, but don't lead others down the primrose path thinking our summers are just like a summer up north. NOT!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I like hot weather, but I have to admit that the summer of 2009 was unbearable because we had no spring. It was over 90 in May and the heat & humidity lasted for months. The only relief we got was when it rained.

Yes, it's very hot in many northern cities, but one big difference is that in Florida, it's continuous for much longer and the nights don't cool down in the summer. It's often 80 degrees at midnight.

Hiknapster, just FYI, you probably read tmozer's post too quickly. I do that all the time. He didn't say it was too hot and he's having regrets. Just the opposite. He is saying it's hotter in the summer up north.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I like hot weather, but I have to admit that the summer of 2009 was unbearable because we had no spring. It was over 90 in May and the heat & humidity lasted for months. The only relief we got was when it rained.

Yes, it's very hot in many northern cities, but one big difference is that in Florida, it's continuous for much longer and the nights don't cool down in the summer. It's often 80 degrees at midnight.

Hiknapster, just FYI, you probably read tmozer's post too quickly. I do that all the time. He didn't say it was too hot and he's having regrets. Just the opposite. He is saying it's hotter in the summer up north.
I read things too quickly all the time, but not in this case.

I'm asking why he started a thread like this. We see this a lot. Someone buys a property and then it almost seems like they have to boost their spirits, lest they have some regrets.

He obviously wondered about the weather. That's why he has the stats. Now he's saying, ah, it's not so bad down in swFlorida. But it is hotter there, due to the dewpoint (say that five times, fast) and yes, it lasts a long time.

But who is arguing about the weather? Until now, that is.

So, yes, I correctly read his post. I guess you didn't understand what I meant.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't understand the point of this thread.
Sorry if my point or purpose were misunderstood. I look forward to the heat. My feeling is that three months of heat and humidity in Florida is not much worse than two months of heat and humidity in NJ. Hot and humid is hot and humid no matter where you are.

I plan to be very happy in Florida no matter when we are there.

As far as the NJ house, I am hoping my son and his new bride decide to buy it from us.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:25 AM

Summers are brutal in a lot of locations. I spent some time in the summer months in San Antonio Texas. It was very hot and humid. The only place to escape to was the River Walk (which is nice).

While I will treasure our AC at night, during the day I plan to live at the beach or the pool in Florida.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:43 AM

In my defense (for starting this thread):

After reading all the many complaints about the Florida summers I went looking for the data just to see how bad it was going to be. I really expected to see high average temperatures well into the 90's for July, August and September. I was suprised to see the averages, at least, were not near that high. Since I went to the trouble of getting the data, I figured I would share.

While I know that average temperatures don't mean everything (people will remember the brutal days and forget the nice days), the data showed me that "I can take it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area