Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Chris, I don't blame you for wanting to move if you have to work outside in the heat. I just hope you don't have to work outside in the cold up north. That's even worse!
Never had a job outside in MA in the past, sure don't plan on it when I get back. I will actually be working at a college where my dad teaches in the engineering department, all inside work. Even if that doesn't pan out I will go back into machine operation, all inside work too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:10 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Not if you're a cabybara.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Not if you're a cabybara.
A what?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:50 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
A what?
Capybara Facts - National Zoo| FONZ (http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Amazonia/Facts/capybarafacts.cfm - broken link)

Old 09-29-2018, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,322 times
I know this is a very old thread, but for anybody that comes across it to say that summers up North are like they are in Southwest Florida, is very far from the truth. Summers are much more humid in the Tampa area compared to Boston. Take August in Boston, add 10% more humidity, and make August last 5 months. That is Southwest Florida. The UV index is not even comparable. Anyone telling you anything different is just not telling the truth. Moved here from Boston. Pick your evil hot or cold.. I'll take sun, shorts and flip flops over grey skies and ice. If I didn't have family in Florida I would have picked San Diego or North Carolina, it is very hot.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:30 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLPanger View Post
I know this is a very old thread, but for anybody that comes across it to say that summers up North are like they are in Southwest Florida, is very far from the truth. Summers are much more humid in the Tampa area compared to Boston. Take August in Boston, add 10% more humidity, and make August last 5 months. That is Southwest Florida. The UV index is not even comparable. Anyone telling you anything different is just not telling the truth. Moved here from Boston. Pick your evil hot or cold.. I'll take sun, shorts and flip flops over grey skies and ice. If I didn't have family in Florida I would have picked San Diego or North Carolina, it is very hot.

NC isn't much better this year weather wise.. still in the upper 80's and 90's this week and next week. This time last year we had windows open and sweaters at night. We had a record breaking summer, Autumn is shaping up to be non existent according to local weather. No cool down insight into Halloween. The leaves haven't even been changing.. Just dying and falling without the beautiful colors

We lived in Naples, Fl and New Hampshire/Maine.... we left Florida over a year ago because we were absolutely sick of the heat, lack of things to do, high housing costs and lack of young families. Don't miss it, won't go back. NC has its issues (esp racial tension and such) but would rather stay here the rest of our lives than even have to visit Fla again. We had a rough start of it here starting new jobs and such and we are still getting used to things like taking 45 mins to go 7 miles. Traffic makes us grumpy and so does the crime.

Overall though we've met some great young people and all the parks are filled with families and kids on the weekends. We never encountered that in Naples. NC won't be our final stop, hubby just had a meeting today about possible relocation to PA next year for a promotion. If not there then Boston area... even our worst days and issues here are still better than our best days there. To each their own

Old 10-02-2018, 06:42 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I have to laugh at people that try to compare summers up north with our summers. Even if they get a heat wave where it is 100+ it doesn't last that long. I have lived both on Long Island and North Carolina. Saw the most 100+ days & 90+ nights in North Carolina but not for 6 months. Our heat & humidity start in June and goes through November or later some years. It's hot & humid all day and all night with no break for 6 months. May is horrible because it's blazing hot but the rainy season hasn't started so we have to water our plants constantly and worry about brush fires.

Even when we get a cold snap in the "winter" it doesn't last long but at least the humidity is much better. The last two Aprils have been beautiful with very warm temps during the day and a bit of a cool down into the high 60's, low 70's with very little humidity. My house is older and has windows on all sides so as long as it's not humid I leave them open to get the cross ventilation. But by mid May, the a/c goes on and rarely comes off until November unless of course we get a hurricane and the power is out for a week. That's when the real fun starts.

When my family first moved down here in 1960 I was just a wee lass and the heat didn't bother me much however the weather seemed different. You could almost set your watch in the summer as far as the thunderstorms go. It would rain the same time every day for an hour and then be gone. Now it seems we get more rain in the summer that lasts for hours and not enough rain in the winter.

Right now on October 2nd the temperature is 77 degrees and the humidity is 91%. I bet most people think 77 isn't so bad right? Ha! Just taking the dog outside for 2 minutes and I'm already sweating. I would love to have a Halloween where it was actually cool in the evening. Last year it didn't cool off until after Christmas.

I hate Florida summer's but I also hate snow, ice, gray skies for 5 months. If I could afford it I would be a snowbird.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:00 AM

708 posts, read 721,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I just went on the Weather Channel site and looked at the historical temperature records by month for the three places I currently have homes. Let's just take the two monthly averages that have the higest and lowest temperatures for each area.......

East Central Coast of NJ: Jan Low 22 Jan High 41 Jul Low 57 Jul High 86
East Coast of SC: Jan Low 37 Jan High 58 Jul Low 72 Jul High 90
SW Coast of FL: Jan Low 53 Jan High 75 Jul Low 73 Jul High 91

NJ Record High/Low: 105 (1999) -19 (1982)
SC Record High/Low: 103 (1986) 4 (1985)
FL Record High/Low: 99 (1986) 26 (1982)

The above data are for Brick, NJ, Murrells Inlet, SC and Naples, FL.

Florida too hot?? I think not. NJ too cold? I'd tell you but my tongue is stuck to a light pole......

I have been through several NJ summers where the temperature stayed well above 90 and up toward and over 100 for a week or more!

We will be snowbirding in SW Florida in one month for the first time. I appreciate the information as we will be deciding in the next couple years if want to make a permanent move. Weather was big reason we picked SW Florida to retire. Only place in continental US that is consistently pleasant during the winter. 75 average high is about optimal for us, with a very nice night time temp. Of course, summer months is going to be something we need to find out if we can handle.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:20 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times
In April I was very happy with the weather as well as May and June. July and August were hot but I was thinking "this isn't that unbearable at all" September however has been really bad. Just about every weekend my kids have had soccer games In Orlando, FT myers, Tampa, and Miami and it has been between 96 and 98 degrees during the game with little breeze and no afternoon showers to cool things down. Hopefully weather will start to turn

Old 10-02-2018, 03:56 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,414,037 times
If I live in Florida since 1973 and S Florida since '88....I am here 'cause the HEAT does not bother me or my family. Period.

You can complain all you want, and please leave Dodge..But those of Us that love this weather, we are here for good !!!

It took me just one year to get used to the Summer HEAT and that was it !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area