Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:05 PM

120 posts, read 170,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
i agree with this for the most part. cape coral anyway is relatively safe, ive never felt threatened here.

the crime itself has definitely risen tho, you cant deny that.

and fort myers can be pretty dangerous.

check the crime rate index, numbers dont lie...

as far as the trees in cape, we definitely need SOMETHING here. this is like a nuclear wasteland or a desert with a bunch of cookie cutter houses built over brownish dried grass

theres no tall buildings to shade you if you DARE try and walk anywhere, so trees would help that issue.

but those of us who live here already know the idea of "walking around" anywhere in cape is comical at best so scratch that one. theyd have to develop an area where this is possible first.

and those scruffy looking things in the medians arent very pleasing to the eye. so itd help beautify the city if nothing else. god knows del prado and santa barbara could use a facelift
A crime index is a ratio of people/crime. Ft. Myers is actually not very big in population (60,000 people) or about 1/9 of the county population. Also, almost all crime is centered in the city therefor causing the crime rate to be very high. The general area is very safe though. St. Louis is the same way. The layout of the city and the population distribution make it seem like it is the most dangerous city in the country. However, Baltimore, MD and New York City actually have the most violent crimes. For violent crimes, I don't think St. Louis was even in top 5.

Trees can be planted. If people in Cape Coral want trees, they need to start by planting them in their own yard! May I ask, have you ever written your council member? The best way to get done what you want is to write to people in office. You mentioned GameStop in one of your posts on news-press.com. Have you written GameStop? Why would a company that caters to young people want to come to Lee County when people liek you say it has no young people (which is a lie)? Young people are GameStop's primary customers. You could, however, write the company and include statistics like the fact that Lee County led the state in student growth last year, and is expected to again this year. You could add that the Lee County school district has over 80,000 students. And you could add that the area has been getting younger and younger every year. I've looked at the numbers, there are a lot of young people here. You would never know it by the way people talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 02:28 PM

172 posts, read 857,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
A crime index is a ratio of people/crime. Ft. Myers is actually not very big in population (60,000 people) or about 1/9 of the county population. Also, almost all crime is centered in the city therefor causing the crime rate to be very high. The general area is very safe though. St. Louis is the same way. The layout of the city and the population distribution make it seem like it is the most dangerous city in the country. However, Baltimore, MD and New York City actually have the most violent crimes. For violent crimes, I don't think St. Louis was even in top 5.

Trees can be planted. If people in Cape Coral want trees, they need to start by planting them in their own yard! May I ask, have you ever written your council member? The best way to get done what you want is to write to people in office. You mentioned GameStop in one of your posts on news-press.com. Have you written GameStop? Why would a company that caters to young people want to come to Lee County when people liek you say it has no young people (which is a lie)? Young people are GameStop's primary customers. You could, however, write the company and include statistics like the fact that Lee County led the state in student growth last year, and is expected to again this year. You could add that the Lee County school district has over 80,000 students. And you could add that the area has been getting younger and younger every year. I've looked at the numbers, there are a lot of young people here. You would never know it by the way people talk about it.
i NEVER said there werent any young people here, i said theres nothing for the young people of the area to do.

the fact is, you are correct, the area has a ton of young people. i know this because im with them every friday and saturday night unsuccesfully trying to find entertainment....

the issue here is the fact that the area REFUSES to acknowledge the fact we have young people here by making no effort to provide an environment that caters or at the very least is friendly to that demographic.

the area is setup to be a retirement community, the population is not.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
i agree with this for the most part. cape coral anyway is relatively safe, ive never felt threatened here.

the crime itself has definitely risen tho, you cant deny that.

and fort myers can be pretty dangerous.

check the crime rate index, numbers dont lie...

as far as the trees in cape, we definitely need SOMETHING here. this is like a nuclear wasteland or a desert with a bunch of cookie cutter houses built over brownish dried grass

theres no tall buildings to shade you if you DARE try and walk anywhere, so trees would help that issue.

but those of us who live here already know the idea of "walking around" anywhere in cape is comical at best so scratch that one. theyd have to develop an area where this is possible first.

and those scruffy looking things in the medians arent very pleasing to the eye. so itd help beautify the city if nothing else. god knows del prado and santa barbara could use a facelift
Not to drag this on but you said you lived in New York City. You are going to complain about the lack of trees in Cape Coral? That does not make sense to me. If you like New York City so bad, move back there! Don't come on these forums and use every excuse you can think of to prevent other people from moving here. I love it here (if you couldn't tell) and I'm under 30.
If you don't want to walk around Edison Mall, go to Coconut Point. When you are done at Coconut Point, go to Gulf Coast Center. And how would you know about lack of quality clubs if you aren't even old enough to get in?

Old 07-02-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
i NEVER said there werent any young people here, i said theres nothing for the young people of the area to do.

the fact is, you are correct, the area has a ton of young people. i know this because im with them every friday and saturday night unsuccesfully trying to find entertainment....

the issue here is the fact that the area REFUSES to acknowledge the fact we have young people here by making no effort to provide an environment that caters or at the very least is friendly to that demographic.

the area is setup to be a retirement community, the population is not.
Yes you are! The City of Cape Coral just spent 1.6 Million dollars to build a new drop slide at SUnSplash because the other six slides weren't thrilling enough for the teen age group. Mike Greenwells is there but it is dumpy (because the areas youth have completely trashed it). What do you suppose the city build?

Old 07-02-2007, 02:44 PM

im from northern NJ, elizabeth which is in the ny metro area. regardless.

what does me being from that area have anything to do with this topic? i never said there was more trees in new york, i simply stated cape coral is lacking in that department, so thats irrelevant to the conversation..

1.6 million dollars for a single waterslide that provides, less than two minutes of entertainment, thats not progress. theres a million and one places where that money would be better spent.

once again, you seem to take what im posting personal. im posting my opinion of the area. we should just agree to disagree.

i have no gripes with any posters or people who like the area.
i understand 100% why people could fall in love with this place, its just NOT for me.

i could only wish i was influential enough to prevent anyone from moving here with my posts alone lol anyone who would not move somewhere based on a forum post wouldnt be too bright.

if you go through my posts, i tell everybody to come and visit the area first.

as far as me moving i would love nothing more, if you offer to finance my leaving ill be glad to lower the population of cape coral by one person lol

i plan to escape as soon as i finish college.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
im from northern NJ, elizabeth which is in the ny metro area. regardless.

what does me being from that area have anything to do with this topic? i never said there was more trees in new york, i simply stated cape coral is lacking in that department, so thats irrelevant to the conversation..

1.6 million dollars for a single waterslide that provides, less than two minutes of entertainment, thats not progress. theres a million and one places where that money would be better spent.

once again, you seem to take what im posting personal. im posting my opinion of the area. we should just agree to disagree.

i have no gripes with any posters or people who like the area.
i understand 100% why people could fall in love with this place, its just NOT for me.

i could only wish i was influential enough to prevent anyone from moving here with my posts alone lol anyone who would not move somewhere based on a forum post wouldnt be too bright.

if you go through my posts, i tell everybody to come and visit the area first.

as far as me moving i would love nothing more, if you offer to finance my leaving ill be glad to lower the population of cape coral by one person lol

i plan to escape as soon as i finish college.
I'm going to drop this after this post (I know you're probably glad).

Why try to prevent someone from moving here by saying there are no decent clubs? If you aren't old enough to go to a club, how do you know there aren't any good ones?

You keep comparing Florida to New York (Cape Coral being bad, New York being good). I could be wrong and you may hate New York (or the surrounding region) but your posts imply differently. You want urban, dense development and complain about how spread out everything is, then turn around and complain about lack of trees.

Have you ever been to Coconut Point or Gulf Coast Town Center. Judgin by the fact you hang out at McDonald's on Santa Barbara tells me you haven't experienced all the area has to offer. Ft. Myers and Cape Coral are totally different. Just because Cape Coral lacks entertainment doesn't mean all of SW FL lacks entertainment. Judging by your posts I would venture to say you haven't ventured south of Colonial Blvd. very much. Most of the area's entertainment is in South Lee County. I could be wrong, but the fact that you hang out at McDonalds tells me differently. There are much better places to hang out around the area. All I ask is please don't post info unless you really know what you are posting. For a city that is having trouble paying for growth, 1.6 million is a lot of money to set aside for youth.

I could be wrong about all of this but that is just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:37 PM

yes,i have gone to gulf coast town center and coconut point. and those areas are definitely a step in the right direction.

i think its sad that people need to drive for nearly an hour (maybe two on a US41 rushhour) to enjoy themselves. people should be able to work, live and play in their own community.how are we going to further a cities economy if we spend (and earn if you live cape) all our money elsewhere?

most of my posts are directed specificaly to cape coral and fort myers. and sometimes naples.

i dont hang out at the mcdonalds by choice, we end up there because theres nothing to do... if you envisioned me as the stereotypical ignorant kid hangin out in front of a store id definitely disagree, i consider myself to be fairly intelligent

where have i compared s.w florida to nyc? i simply used nyc as an example because its an area that everyone knows when you mention it. you cant even compare miami to NYC, let alone southwest florida.

dense urban development doesnt necesarily mean lack of trees either, cities are more than tall buildings, graffiti and taxicabs

most residential areas of large, dense cities have treelined streets.

this is a picture of a brownstone in manhattan's upper west-side

another picture of your typical densely populated city street

this is a typical cape coral street
http://www.valuevacationrentals.com/images/property/prop8055_41032.jpg (broken link)
http://www.permatileroofing.com/contentImages/Cape%20Coral%20House%20.jpg (broken link)

i see many more trees in the pictures above cape

do a search on this area and see what people think of it.im not alone in my opinion so something must be going on. or are we all living a different southwest florida than you are?

most people seem to atleast understand what im getting at when i say these things. once again, im not just spewing hate. if something is positive in southwest florida i say so aswell. i agree with you that its ridiculous for people to say that crime in cape coral is out of control. this is one of the safest cities ive ever been in

and i agree 1.6 million is a lot of money for a waterslide. that money could gone towards sidewalks,a better public transportation system,streetlights in residential streets, building a walkable entertainment district amongst other things the city needs.

i understand you probably feel compelled to defend your city of choice, but realize its NOT for everybody, as is every other city in the world, so no need to get offended.

Last edited by Chromedome; 07-02-2007 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-02-2007, 04:39 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
Yes you are! The City of Cape Coral just spent 1.6 Million dollars to build a new drop slide at SUnSplash because the other six slides weren't thrilling enough for the teen age group. Mike Greenwells is there but it is dumpy (because the areas youth have completely trashed it). What do you suppose the city build?
I just find this funny. Someone should sell I love Cape Coral shirts and hats. Sun Splash is built on the old city dump and was a way to make money off the land. The city makes alot of money off, Not a bad deal since sunsplash was paid for with tax money. Mike Greenwell built the park (not the city)for kids to have something to do. I am not convinced that people on this forum are just trying to use scare tactics to prevent growth. But I am convinced the people on this forum just don't have a clue about the area other people are selling. If you want growth its easy, all you need is good paying jobs other then realestate.

Last edited by firemed; 07-02-2007 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I just find this funny. Someone should sell I love Cape Coral shirts and hats. Sun Splash is built on the old city dump and was a way to make money off the land. The city makes alot of money off, Not a bad deal since sunsplash was paid for with tax money.
wow, i didnt know that tidbit.

thanks

Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 10,623 times
Dont do it.
Take it from the perspective of someone who was raised here.
Its a hellhole with nothing to do, rude and stuck up bastards, horrible traffic, and its completly overpriced.

The guy saying that most of the fun is in South Ft. Myers has to be out of his mind. There may be some things but its not enough for the amount of people under 25 can do. Most the minors can do is hang around Bell Tower, one of the malls, or go to that ugly excuse of a beach.

They need to start doing some more stuff for minors thats not in ****ing SW-Almost Pine island Cape Coral. The city should buy what was supposed to be Zoomers over by Lexington Middle (on summerlin heading to the beach) and finish it up and open it.

Trust me, if you move here, your kids will hate you for it. I still get in fights constantly with my parents and im moving to L.A in a year.

Save yourself the time and look towards Ft.Lauderdale/Orlando/Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area