Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 PM

244 posts, read 487,815 times

Advertisements

there are more than 400 miles of canals in Cape Coral, that is more than Venice Italy has. Those Canals however don't all lead out to the Gulf of Mexico. Some of them are fresh water canals which lead to fresh water lakes, some of them are fresh water canals which don't lead nowhere. Others do lead out to the Gulf. If you think about purchasing a waterfront home, make sure you know if the canal is leading out to the Gulf or not. It is important for you if you are a boater but also in regards of the value of the home. Also if you are purchasing a home on a Gulf access Canal make sure you know how long it will take you (by boat) to get the the Gulf of Mexico and if you have to go thru a lock or not. If you want to purchase of own a sailboat or a boat with a fly bridge make sure that the bridges (if any) are high enough for your boat. Some of the canals in Cape Coral are deeper than other - here too, make sure you understand if (or that) the canal and the waterways you need to go thru to get out to the Gulf - are deep enough for your boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,079 times
Default Cape Coral, FL map with canal names

The Chamber of Commerce map no longer has the canal names.
The realtor office just west of the Cof C has one for free that does.

TeamAubuchon.com
239-542-1075

Old 03-03-2014, 01:04 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,959 times
Here is an interactive map that shows every canal name:
Cape Coral Canalwatch Program - CHNEP.WaterAtlas.org

Just zoom in and pan to the area you want.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:24 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,480 times
Also,when you are boating in the canals you can use your Garmin, any GPS or the Wase traffic app and it will plot you right through the canels and show you all the streets.Doesn't show canal names but fun to see where you are by street vs canal.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 PM

158 posts, read 381,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalfthegrae View Post
The fresh canals can draw mosquitos and aligators.
I've lived on a fresh water canal for two years and have never seen a mosquito or an alligator.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoomer View Post
I've lived on a fresh water canal for two years and have never seen a mosquito or an alligator.
I'm not sure if you are kidding.
Alligators | Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife

Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
Since I'm not familiar with Cape Coral, or any area with a lot of canals, I'm having a hard time understanding why flooding wouldn't be an extra concern for houses right on a canal?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,095,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Since I'm not familiar with Cape Coral, or any area with a lot of canals, I'm having a hard time understanding why flooding wouldn't be an extra concern for houses right on a canal?
along the canals they build seawalls which are quite a bit higher than historic high tides. also houses need to be built at elevations quite a few feet higher than sea level. being close to the gulf the water flows from yards, into canals out to the open water. Some areas of the SE cape coral may be more prone to flooding due to being built long before current elevation requirements. However you can still have times of extreme wet weather that coincides with extreme high tides that the water can get pretty high in the canals.

I'm not sure of along the river if this is the same as rivers can oftentimes over run their banks.

there was one time that I remember that there was extreme rain during high tide , although it didn't over flow the seawalls the water was high enough that some boats that were on lifts floated off their lifts and people that did not tie their boat to the lift woke up to them floating down the canals.

Last edited by nhkev; 03-07-2014 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 AM

297 posts, read 509,963 times
We live on a salt water canal with gulf access in the NW Cape. Been their two years and have seen one small Alligator swimming down the canal. We have also seen dolphin, and manatee's. Have plenty of No See Um's, but very few mosquitos.
About the only draw back to living on a salt or freshwater canal, your property taxes are higher.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak Boater View Post
We live on a salt water canal with gulf access in the NW Cape. Been their two years and have seen one small Alligator swimming down the canal. We have also seen dolphin, and manatee's. Have plenty of No See Um's, but very few mosquitos.
About the only draw back to living on a salt or freshwater canal, your property taxes are higher.
Xoomer was talking about a fresh water canal. I thought there would be lots of mosquitoes and at least some alligators in those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area