Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 9,252 times

Advertisements

Hi all - given that this stream was from 2010, I'm wondering if any you who were then actively searching to live in Parkland or Weston have moved there and if so, could you share your experience with the location? Are you happy with your decision? Any insight? We have 3 elementary school aged boys and although I was born in IL and grew up in Miami, I have been living in Europe for 7 yrs now. Seriously contemplating a move back to FL and Parkland keeps coming up as an ideal place as far as schools, families, etc. Any insight that might help? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 AM

205 posts, read 481,102 times
If you can afford to send you kids to private I would consider Lighthouse point over Parkland and Weston. Its closer to the beach and the area is just wonderful. If your looking for private I would pick Weston over Parkland mainly because there is better shopping/restaurants in that area. Parkland is beautiful and they have some really nice parks but there isnt much there.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 PM

166 posts, read 384,473 times
Parkland schools just rated #1 by Forbes magazine !! Check out the article on our website www.ParklandExpert.com !! Well we've lived in Parkland since 1987 and raised two boys here since age 3. They were tested gifted and we feel that they got a private school education for a public school price ! We now have a CPA and an attorney! As a golfer I'm a little jealous of Ireland but couldn't take the cold, welcome back!

Old 08-06-2011, 03:38 AM

2 posts, read 9,252 times
Thanks for your replies. Living in Europe is lovely but the cold and wet really gets old in Ireland...and I don't golf so not much draw from that for me. Thanks again!

Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 AM

143 posts, read 472,006 times
I have multiple friends in Parkland. It is a great place to raise kids. I live in Boca but would have picked Parkland if I had the choice. Nice size yards and everything is really close. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2011, 12:11 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,783 times
Parkland, FL is the one of the wealthiest places to live.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:40 AM

13 posts, read 22,358 times
Right now in Parkland there are 64 homes on the market in your price range with at least 3 bedrooms and 119 in Weston. My nephew lives in Weston and I've been there many times. Both are beautiful areas. Head over to Boca Raton Real Estate, Delray Beach Real Estate, ALL Palm Beach County Real Estate, Marilyn Farber Jacobs and use the MLS there to see what is available right now. If you need further guidance, let me know. I don't think you can go wrong in either area.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,292 times
I see this post was a while ago how would you compare now parkland and weston to live? relocating there and I have 3 small kids!!! Suggestions please

Old 10-04-2013, 07:56 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,198,364 times
I will weigh in, and in the interest of disclosure, I live in Weston (since 1996) and have clients and friends who live in Parkland. I do not have children, but speak to plenty of parents here in Weston -- some of my friends in Parkland have children (now older and adults).

I assume that with 3 small kids you are looking for a place that has other families with kids, good elementary schools and is safe? You could no go wrong living in either city. Both cities get high "family friendly" marks -- the schools in each city are highly - rated, crime is low (compared to Broward County and Florida standards) and the population is young -- I believe less than 10% of the population in each city is aged 65 or older, and about 35% of the population in each city is 18 or younger.

Then why chose one over the other? If you are going to be working somewhere in northern or central Broward County, then look at Parkland, or if that's out of your budget, Coral Springs, a much larger city to the south of Parkland. If you are going to be working in southern Broward County, or downtown Fort Lauderdale, then look at Weston, or if that's out of your budget, parts of Davie, Sunrise or Pembroke Pines -- all larger cities that border Weston. Traffic during peak times is terrible in South Florida. If you can cut down your driving time, then by all means live in as nice a place, that's as close to your job, that you can afford.

Are there differences besides location? Yes, to me, there is a big difference in the demographics. Parkland, by all census accounts, is primarily non-Hispanic white (I believe at least 80%). Although Weston is also primarily white (I also believe 80%), it's a 50-50 split between Hispanics and non-Hispanics. Weston attracts many people from South America, in particular Venezuela; many left the country due to concerns about their safety and politics -- and brought their money and talents with them. Both Parkland and Weston are considered "affluent" communities -- median income as per latest census data was about $100k in Weston and nearly twice that in Parkland -- on second thought, I would consider Parkland "highly affluent." Parkland's tax base is primarily residential -- not much in the way of dining, entertainment, service or retail establishments -- but you really aren't isolated -- you have west Boca to the north, and Coral Springs to the south, for much of your shopping and dining. Weston's tax base is more varied, there is more commercial development in Weston although I suspect the tax base also is mainly residential.

Good luck with your search and welcome to South Florida!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:10 AM

679 posts, read 878,486 times
I agree with everything wizrap said in his post. I lived in Parkland in the early '00's and live in Weston now. They are both great places to live, but I find them very different.

Things I loved about Parkland: proximity to Boca for shopping and restaurants, beautiful homes and surroundings.

Things I hated about Parkland: mosquitos, not having city water.

Things I love about Weston: convenient to get anywhere, good shopping and restaurants, beautiful, planned communities with little traffic.

Things I hate about Weston: our HOA is going a little crazy.

I have found people to be friendlier in Weston than I did in Parkland.

Two main things to consider are whether your job is in the northern part of the county or the southern end and whether you want to have a large yard. We had one and a half acres in Parkland. Perhaps that's why folks aren't as friendly; they're simply too far away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area