Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 AM

24 posts, read 188,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There are lots of nice places to live. It really depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood, how old you are, where your job is, what are your family responsibilities, etc....

The job market is slow down here.

If you are from this area, or lived here previously you should be aware that wages are low for the cost of living. If you lived here before the best way to find a job is going to be to use your contacts that are here to help you find a job.

Some industries are faring better than others in terms of jobs so it is impossible to predict whether you will be able to make a decent living here.

Hi Can you tell me how is the Hospitality Tourism Jobs there? I am in school now majoring in Hospitality Management. My prayer is to finish school and relocate to South Florida and land a good job there. Can you give me some insight? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 10:44 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttodwellinsfla08 View Post
Hi Can you tell me how is the Hospitality Tourism Jobs there? I am in school now majoring in Hospitality Management. My prayer is to finish school and relocate to South Florida and land a good job there. Can you give me some insight? Thanks.
I'm thinking South Florida would be a perfect place for you as the tourism is one of the biggest industries here. Since the economy is down, of course the tourism is slower as well, but since I work part-time at a time-share resort, I still see that it's pretty busy, almost every single unit is occupied if you can believe it.
Good luck working on weekends forever though.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,187 times
I lived in S.Fl for over 30 years -- All members of my immediate family have left that area. I am the only one that wants to move back -- funny -- but true. I know I am strange,but I love hustle and bustle. We have enough time to lay quiet in our graves. Now I am in N.C. and also would like to move back, --- N.C. is pretty, but as one person said -- It is beautiful ---AND?? Tough part -- finding a nice place to rent in a fairly decent area -- for people 55 and older -- able bodied, but limited retirement income --- Any suggestions??

Old 02-12-2010, 01:57 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine p View Post
I lived in S.Fl for over 30 years -- All members of my immediate family have left that area. I am the only one that wants to move back -- funny -- but true. I know I am strange,but I love hustle and bustle. We have enough time to lay quiet in our graves. Now I am in N.C. and also would like to move back, --- N.C. is pretty, but as one person said -- It is beautiful ---AND?? Tough part -- finding a nice place to rent in a fairly decent area -- for people 55 and older -- able bodied, but limited retirement income --- Any suggestions??
well catherine being a former North Carolinian transplant.I dont think you are crazy.lol we moved to florida from NC although we only lived there for 2 years, and are NOT from florida originally but this is our home...Are u looking anywhere other than Broward?

there are some nice 55 adult communities that are reasonable in Delray like Kingspoint the area is nice my parents have quiet a few of their friends from NJ who rent and some that own in that development....

there are also a few in Sunrise that moms other friends are in as they all reside in NJ full time but u know they are snowbirds...

good luck to you

Old 02-12-2010, 03:15 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine p View Post

It's harder in much of FL to find cheap rent in a decent area, especially SFL where things are more expensive. Rent in much of NC is actually fairly cheap compared to FL. Where in NC are you having a problem finding a decent place to rent for cheap?

Old 02-12-2010, 07:02 PM

it depends where in NC u are...South Charlotte rent isnt cheap....and where we lived the home rentals werent cheap either....and u certainly didnt have amenities there like u have here in South Florida

Old 02-12-2010, 08:20 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,764,517 times
Guys I don't think the NC rents matter because she wants to move to Florida.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 PM

well Chels if one is comparing NC to FL then yes it would be relevant...because its not a fair comparision overall...the Rents however could be comparable depending where in Fl she moves too and where in NC she is moving from

Old 02-13-2010, 01:23 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,708,307 times
Actually, Im with Chels here. I think Comsense misunderstood her post as saying she was having a tough time finding an affordable rental place in either NC or here. I dont think NC is giving her a problem in that dept - just Florida. Her statement was that NC was pretty, but as her friend said, 'yes, it's beautiful ...AND???' The next sentence just applied to Florida.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:02 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
it depends where in NC u are...South Charlotte rent isnt cheap....and where we lived the home rentals werent cheap either....and u certainly didnt have amenities there like u have here in South Florida

Like I said it depends on where in NC and I can almost guarantee you that rent is cheaper in whatever part of NC than in S FL. There are plenty of amenities in CLT. There are TONS of places in S FL where she cannot get the same things as she can in CLT in a quick drive. The OP may not want to live in FTL or Boca, they may want to live somewhere inland, who knows.

I'd be curious to hear the OP respond. This is like the 4th or 5th "junior member" who is all of a sudden wanting to move to S FL from NC. A bit odd. And then they never post again, or all of a sudden there is another "junior member" who just joined with the same story. I'm not saying the OP is doing this, but I just find it odd that there are like 4 or 5 "junior members" all of a sudden with the same "I live in NC and want to move to S FL" story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area