Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 22,575 times

Advertisements

Yeah lauderdale lakes is bad. And ugh im in broward and of course it has its good parts as well as its bad parts, but growing up here i am discriminated because i'm white. My school (Nova) takes the racial demographics of the county and applies them to the schools population and half the school is black (which means half the county is black). I still don't understand that. It's supposedly an "A" school and one of the best in the county but there are fights every day and vandalized bathrooms. Kids deal drugs here too. I just dont understand. The other day one of our seniors shot his pregnant girlfriend to death. I hear stuff about what goes on in other schools and they are even worse. My point being is that one of broward's best schools has a white minority and can be dangerous. Don't raise your kids in this environment please.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954 Boy View Post
Yeah lauderdale lakes is bad. And ugh im in broward and of course it has its good parts as well as its bad parts, but growing up here i am discriminated because i'm white. My school (Nova) takes the racial demographics of the county and applies them to the schools population and half the school is black (which means half the county is black). I still don't understand that. It's supposedly an "A" school and one of the best in the county but there are fights every day and vandalized bathrooms. Kids deal drugs here too. I just dont understand. The other day one of our seniors shot his pregnant girlfriend to death. I hear stuff about what goes on in other schools and they are even worse. My point being is that one of broward's best schools has a white minority and can be dangerous. Don't raise your kids in this environment please.
Hmmm...that is in DAVIE, right? THat is pretty much the one place in Broward I'd be most interested in. I have a young son.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 22,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hmmm...that is in DAVIE, right? THat is pretty much the one place in Broward I'd be most interested in. I have a young son.
Yeah it's in davie but it's not a neighborhood school, so the school's location plays no roll as to who goes to the school. Most kids I know come from Lauderdale, I honestly only know a few people from davie that go here.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:11 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
954boy answered the first part. The "neighborhood" schools for Davie are Hollywood Hills High for the eastern areas (not good), Western High School for the majority (I came out okay, reputation is good), Cooper City High for a small area in South-Central Davie (good), and West Broward High for the far southwestern fringes (new school, but good "ratings" so far).

Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,193 times
Quote:

No Lauderdale Lakes is NOT in Davie or even close for that matter .... most of Davie and the areas that it borders like Coooper City and Weston are quite nice

Old 11-06-2009, 11:26 AM

157 posts, read 487,570 times
My boys went to Cooper City high school. IMO the school was stiflingly safe. Another words it was to safe. There were a dozen or so surveillance cameras in the school being monitored. There were police officers on campus patrolling the school. The principal rode around in a golf cart monitoring kids. One could not leave the campus for lunch. Some times the school was placed in lock down for a prank or an unrelated event nearby. They were herded around so they would be early to their next class. My boys were anti conformists and did not like the stringent rules, atmosphere, or punishments. The were suspended a few times. Suspension means you can not go back to school for a week or two. A kid really gets behind. One goes to a small, bare building in a trailer park off 5-95, west of flamingo road. IMO, the kids are just being baby sat. Some of the punished kids just hang out or sleep at their desk. Of course they are suppose to self teach the lesson plan for school that day. Kids must sit at desk unless one asks permission if they can go to the bathroom or stand up and stretch. My boys behavior was more uncouth, rather than hostile.
I know what some may be saying. That they deserve it. That is why I did not complain to school officials and I told my boys that they will have to take their lumps. But in my boys case the punishment marginalized them and disconnected them from school more than ever. They only became more resentful and miserable in school.
IMO their are no drugs on campus and if one were caught on campus with drugs one would be prosecuted and expelled. IMO all high schools have a drug issue if kids seek and solicit drugs, even off campus.
IMO if one wants a very safe high school for their kids, this is it.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:23 AM

52 posts, read 102,756 times
It all depends on where you are. Just like any other place in this country and the world. Broward county has a lot of good places as well as it has bad ones. The South-east is not the best place to be at. The western and north-western parts are your best bet. Also, Fort Lauderdale has parts where you find beautiful mansions, and then again, you find "ghetto" neighborhoods.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFLTX View Post
It all depends on where you are. Just like any other place in this country and the world. Broward county has a lot of good places as well as it has bad ones. The South-east is not the best place to be at. The western and north-western parts are your best bet. Also, Fort Lauderdale has parts where you find beautiful mansions, and then again, you find "ghetto" neighborhoods.

Good post ..... you almost sound as if you are describing Houston as well ... a city that I love by the way !!!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:00 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,468,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
What is "fake looking " ... please explain .. is it clean , green , manicured , safe and orderly ... I lived in Weston for four years and loved it ... now I live in a similar place called Parkland , which I guess is also "fake looking " in some eyes .. again please explain ... and I also love gated communities and after living in three over the past twelve years ... Valencia , CA .. Weston and now Parkland I would not have it any other way ..... I could swear that I have seen gated communities in Plantation as well ... are these also "fake looking " .... just curious ?
Umm lets see. The numerous amount of gated communities with cookie-cutter Mediteranean-style homes and zero-lot lines, fake trees, fake grass, lack of trees/foliage, man-made lakes, retention ponds, shopping plazas that are uniform colors, McDonalds restaurants where the golden arches aren't even golden, lol. Everything about Weston is fake or man-made. It was built in the Everglades and nothing about it resembles the Everglades. There is no natural beauty or scenery.

Plantation on the other hand has scenic roads with dense foliage, and is more natural looking. The houses are different styles and not everything looks the same. Sure there are gated communities in Plantation as there are most places in South FL. But it is much more natural looking overall and not as cookie-cutter.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Umm lets see. The numerous amount of gated communities with cookie-cutter Mediteranean-style homes and zero-lot lines, fake trees, fake grass, lack of trees/foliage, man-made lakes, retention ponds, shopping plazas that are uniform colors, McDonalds restaurants where the golden arches aren't even golden, lol. Everything about Weston is fake or man-made. It was built in the Everglades and nothing about it resembles the Everglades. There is no natural beauty or scenery.

Plantation on the other hand has scenic roads with dense foliage, and is more natural looking. The houses are different styles and not everything looks the same. Sure there are gated communities in Plantation as there are most places in South FL. But it is much more natural looking overall and not as cookie-cutter.
Your post is absurd ... ok so you like Plantation .. so do I for that matter and in fact I swear much of it looks like Weston ( the nicer areas of Plantation anyhow ) ... "fake trees and grass" ... so I guess the city of Weston has plastic trees and grass .... please explain to me what "fake trees and grass " are ... if they have plastic or paper mache trees and grass then they did a nice job of making it look very real !!

Really no cookie cutter houses in Plantation .... I was there today with my family at the Whole Foods at University Drive and Cleary Blvd and saw plenty of "cookie cutter " homes that are all the same style in gated communities ... again I like Plantation , but your post about the "fake trees and grass " is just plain silly .... Plantation is nice , but I prefer Weston hands down .... fake plastic trees and all

I seem to miss the tremendous "natural beauty " in Plantation when I go there ..... please tell me where these wonders of nature are located in Plantation so I can take my family there next time I am in town ?

By the way I am a suffering Nole fan as well ... yesterday against Clemson was painful ..... Ole Bobby as much as I love him needs to step down !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area