Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times

Advertisements

Broward is not that bad. Same as any other big city, good and bad parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Again, for everyone who thinks that crime is so awful in Broward County, or that it's getting "worse and worse".... take some time to compare Broward County NOW to 15 years ago.

Here's a thread on the subject: https://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...igh-crime.html

And here's the Citydata page for Ft. Lauderale, showing crime on a downward trend:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-L...e-Florida.html

Old 10-16-2009, 08:36 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harttogo View Post
Gosh, I disagree with most of the posters. I have lived in Broward since 1959. I just don`t see it that bad. I disagree that you can be in a luxury house and 2 blocks away is a bad area. To me the "bad" areas are large and easy to identify. Unless I was working there, there would be no reason to be in those bad areas. To me police women is a dramatization. They often pick people in low socio-economic neighborhoods. Some of these people just never learned to be citizens and they are socially maladjusted. Those police shows go into these neighborhoods for ratings. Would they go into Weston for someone running a red light? If they did I`m sure they would not have many viewers.
The news picks people at their lowest common denominator to "entertain" me with these people`s terrible crimes. Rape, murder, kill? I can`t imagine being that fearful. I don`t see it and I`m a wuss. If I never watched the local news I would not even know about these things.
There are 250,000 school kids. The news will only broadcast the very small percentage of sociopaths in the schools. For me it is useless information.
On Las Olas you have million dollar homes on the isles. Go just a few blocks to the south and you have housing that has been bought buy the city to house sex offenders. That is from 3rd st north to just 6th street south. Go south off Davie blvd. at 15th ave. you have million dollar homes on the new river. Go just 2000 feet north on the same street you have low rent apartment houses with weekly drug busts. One problem is, people drive around in their cars with the windows up, air on, stereo playing their favorite tunes and they cruse through areas and don't even know where they have just been. They are completely oblivious. Try riding around town on a bike some time. You will have a completely different perspective.
I discovered the sex offenders thing when I did an internet search of my area. I almost fell over to find like 200 a mile from my house. That is when I found the cities dirty little secret. They are housing them in old motels and apartment houses they have acquired. Many are located just behind the big Publix on Andrews. People just don't know about it.

Last edited by mango23; 10-16-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
It is a weird town. You can drive through an area with luxury homes and in two blocks be in a place you lock your doors as you drive through. There was a shoot out just a block from my house recently and I live in a good area. I am going to be brutally honest. I have a gun permit and never leave home with out my gun same with my wife. We go to the gun range at least twice a month. We are not right wing radicals but liberals living in the real world. Even though I live here, sometimes I play a mind game when driving around. I pretend I just drove into town and what do I think. I look around and see a place I would not live if they were giving houses away. Mean time I haven't left yet, go figure.
It really isn't that bad for it's size. The western half and coastal parts of the county are pretty consistent safety wise, and the in between zone is inconsistent. There really isn't a consistent "ghetto" ANYWHERE in Broward County like you would find in other places, i.e south Atlanta, The Bronx, northwest Dade, etc. It sounds to me like you live in a crappy/inconsistent neighborhood that "used" to be good. I'm not saying that it might of been "better" in the past, but the area has grown pretty large in the past 50 years and needs to be compared with other places of similar size.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
One problem is, people drive around in their cars with the windows up, air on, stereo playing their favorite tunes and they cruse through areas and don't even know where they have just been. They are completely oblivious. Try riding around town on a bike some time. You will have a completely different perspective.
Are you macguy?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I drove around Broward County and loved the looks of it.

Regarding the TV show...well, every episode of COPS is the exact same thing.

In every American city I see the exact same kinds of neighborhoods. Go to any DMV office to renew your driver's license, and you'll see half of the people that seem to be on the show COPS.

I don't think this is anything unique of Broward County...it seems more typical of nearly every city in the U.S. including even very nice-looking Broward County. It's mostly disparity of wealth syndrome throughout the nation - displaying itself mostly strong in every single American city that we have, and even the lesser big cities of a Broward County.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:08 PM

411 posts, read 468,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Again, for everyone who thinks that crime is so awful in Broward County, or that it's getting "worse and worse".... take some time to compare Broward County NOW to 15 years ago.

Here's a thread on the subject: https://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...igh-crime.html

And here's the Citydata page for Ft. Lauderale, showing crime on a downward trend:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-L...e-Florida.html

Definetly the crime statistics compare favorably to any other metropolitan area in the US, I have been to Broward county many times and I think it is super nice......

Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Here in the Southland we have mountain chains and hills to naturally divide many of the bad areas from the good. But in Florida it is just FLAT. The only thing that divides are the big boulevards, it seems to me, though it's been centuries since I left as a kid. So it would appear that the parts bordering the Everglades are good, and along the intracoastal are very good. It's the center---Plantation, Davies, Pembroke, Miramar, etc that appear to pose the greatest risk to life and limb. The show usually offers streets at the beginning of each segment to ID the area the officers are going into. I should check that on goggle.

Quote:
its not all that bad, but the blonde chick on the show is HOTTT!!
Makes me wonder why Showtime hasn't drafted her for a spot on Dexter. She could take him down single-handed with just her looks.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's the center---Plantation, Davies, Pembroke, Miramar, etc that appear to pose the greatest risk to life and limb.
lol, you named four cities that often make the list as being the 100 safest in the United States. There is some spillover crime however in the center of the Miramar area that comes from Carol City to the south, from about University Dr to Red Rd. The only really bad part "on it's own" is Sherman Circle and it's still not as bad as points east. Still, it's the only city that breaks the University Dr rule, it kind of follows the north Dade rules instead, which also gets better west of Red Rd (more upper middle class) and EAST of University/27th (more working class). Davie also has two bad pockets (off Davie Rd extension to the extreme south, and some of downtown Davie area), but they are small. The worst parts of Plantation are so far east, that I wouldn't describe them as being in the "center", and I can't think of a single bad part of Pembroke Pines except for maybe a couple of those apartments off of Pembroke Rd by the turnpike in front of Pines Village, which is also pretty far east.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-17-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-17-2009, 10:42 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I was born and raised in Broward county and I am counting down the days until I can get the heck out of here, I despise this area. Watching the evening news is an expierment in horror. There is a murder, rape, theft, beating on the news EVERY night. As a poster mentioned above, two MIDDLE SCHOOL students lit another kid on FIRE, he is burned over 75% of his body and is now fighting for his life at Miami's Jackson Mem. hospital burn unit. I see all these other posters writting about how Broward isn't that bad and crime is everywhere, but I've spent time in other areas and you just don't see the same horrendous crap on the news every night. It is burning hot 10 mo of the year with 313 days a yr with temps over 80° and that's with 80% humidity. There is no seasonal change and the possibility of terrible hurricanes every year. My mom teaches at a local high school and you wouldn't believe how those kids act. Now, I did live in Palm Bch Co. for almost 10 yrs and that wasn't so bad but the developers are working overtime to ensure it ends up just like Broward and Dade with endless strip malls that now often sit empty due to the economic decline. People were friendlier in Northern Palm Bch(can't go south of Lake Worth) and the beaches(Juno & Jupiter especially) are absolutely gorgeous. If you go far West, there are some rural communities left like Loxahatchee and The Acerage and Jupiter Farms. Broward was never Mayberry but due to many factors like illegal immigration(sp?), it has become a place you really wouldn't want to raise your kids.
Are you related to me ?? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area