Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

Just curious, Italian-American population seems to be decent enough in Broward County...to those who've also lived in NY/NJ/CT, etc. with Italian-American influence, etc... how does it compare? Similar or different?

HOw about in food and similar Italian eateries in Broward County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 11:57 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,003 times
There are a lot of Italian-Americans in Broward County that are mostly either native South Floridians or from NJ/NY. In Miami, there are a lot of Italian immigrants and Argentinean-Italians that live in South Beach, so that's why there's a pizza place on practically every corner of South Beach lol.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 AM

326 posts, read 1,452,728 times
I lived in Broward for 12 years and in CT I am getting closer to finishing my second year. The Italian presence in the two places is very different.

In Broward you will find Italian americans but you will also find many Italians, I mean, the real thing: people who have come to the States in recent years, usually with very specific professional skills. These are people who are Italian, speak Italian at home, raise bilingual children, and have most if not all of their family in Italy. They are also people who enjoy the company of other Italians, with whom they share a specific knowledge of what modern Italy is (quite different from what most Americans think it is, actually.) This is what I am.

In Connecticut the majority of people where I live (Hartford County) are of Italian decent. They are proud of being Italian, they can even say a few words in a mix of Italian and one of our many dialects. They believe that Italy is still what their parents told them it was 50 years ago, other than Italy has evolved, naturally, but they have not, also naturally.

In Broward I enjoyed the conversation with my Italian fellows. Being from the same culture helps connect, as you have much in common that went on as you were all growing up in the same place. Nonetheless, I have only on a few occasions found true friendship among Italians there, because friendship does not have much to do with your origin, as with your values, ways, style, and that does not necessarily coincide only because you grew up in the same place.

In Connecticut I support and cheer people who feel they are Italian because their parents and grandparents were, and I would never make them feel they are really not Italian.. They are proud of their heritage and this is fine with me. But I have almost nothing in common with them, as they hold on to traditions that have disappeared form Italy a long time ago. As we were growing up, we rejected the old ways as "dated". It is natural, we all did it no matter were we lived. I could never go back to the big family meals my grandparents would prepare on Sunday. My mother herself had already dropped that tradition by the time I was a school age cild. You hold on to it if you think this is what allows you to maintain the ties with your origins, but if you are actually from there, you don't need to do it. Does it make sense? I have a strong cold and I am miserable, so I may have been ranting until now. If that's the case, please forgive me, but I wanted to try to answer your question a little more thoroughly since I am Italian and I have lived in both places. Happy Easter/Passover

Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just curious, Italian-American population seems to be decent enough in Broward County...to those who've also lived in NY/NJ/CT, etc. with Italian-American influence, etc... how does it compare? Similar or different?

HOw about in food and similar Italian eateries in Broward County?
Although it is not NYC / NJ ... Coral Springs has a sizeable Italian American presence in Broward County ... also we actually had two Italian families when I lived in Weston in our neighborhood .. not Italian Americans , but actual Italian nationals .. one family from Milan and the other Verona ... both were loud , but friendly and fun to have as neighbors

Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Although it is not NYC / NJ ... Coral Springs has a sizeable Italian American presence in Broward County ... also we actually had two Italian families when I lived in Weston in our neighborhood .. not Italian Americans , but actual Italian nationals .. one family from Milan and the other Verona ... both were loud , but friendly and fun to have as neighbors
Must have been loud because they are Italian ... Let me start banging around my neighborhood, so everyone knows when I am home ...

Old 04-13-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolin View Post
Must have been loud because they are Italian ... Let me start banging around my neighborhood, so everyone knows when I am home ...
I am half Italian and yes loud !!!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:39 PM

98 posts, read 470,913 times
Quote:
same here...lol

there is a big presence of italians around Hollywood and Halendale...

Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
You may be loud, but do we "full Italians" have to do with it? I am tired of stereotypes and people who use them.

Do you really think being loud is a characteristic of my people? If you do, it only means you have not traveled much in your life. If you did, or if you did with your eyes and ears open and, more importantly, an open mind, you would have realized that being loud is hardly a characteristics of a people. It crosses boundaries. People get loud out of excitement; when they are far from their home, where neighbors can judge them; when they tend to gather in large quantities (there you go: maybe your stereotype comes from the fact that, until 50 years ago, Italian families tended to be large).

Perpetuating stereotypes does not belong to an intelligent, educated person. If you are one, just stop doing it or at least try. it is difficult, I know for experience, as I had to shed quite a few of those about American people. But it is well worth the effort.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 PM

98 posts, read 470,913 times
Half my family still live in Italy, we go there every year, and yes WE ARE LOUD!!!!!!! and PROUD!!!!!! that enough traveling for you????
The they you meet an italian that's not loud or talks w/o moving his/her hands... means he/she is not an italian!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolin View Post
You may be loud, but do we "full Italians" have to do with it? I am tired of stereotypes and people who use them.

Do you really think being loud is a characteristic of my people? If you do, it only means you have not traveled much in your life. If you did, or if you did with your eyes and ears open and, more importantly, an open mind, you would have realized that being loud is hardly a characteristics of a people. It crosses boundaries. People get loud out of excitement; when they are far from their home, where neighbors can judge them; when they tend to gather in large quantities (there you go: maybe your stereotype comes from the fact that, until 50 years ago, Italian families tended to be large).

Perpetuating stereotypes does not belong to an intelligent, educated person. If you are one, just stop doing it or at least try. it is difficult, I know for experience, as I had to shed quite a few of those about American people. But it is well worth the effort.
Wow , you need to "chill out" ... and yes I have been to Italy several times and I have family in Ascoli Piceno . My paternal Grand Parents are full blooded Italians from that area , who immigrated to the U.S shortly after WWII .... and yes they were sweet loving Grandparents who were LOUD ... sorry if I hurt your sensitivities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area