Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 AM

24 posts, read 188,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollylock View Post
I'm in Hollywood and I love it. If you have kids there are plenty of activities for them in the area - YMCA, baseball/softball at the rotary park, tennis, roller hockey/skateboard park, wildcats soccer, football, etc... For the grown ups there is downtown Hollywood and the Hard Rock. PLus Hollywood hosts plenty of festivals and free concerts at the broad walk and the art park. There is a little bit of everything here. I would put Hollywood in the top 5 best!!

Thanks for the post. I really need to hear this. My husband and I plan to move to hollywood area by the end of this year God willing. We have visited there at leat 3 times and we love the area! Please tell me more if you can?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
No it is. Boca is still Boca. But Weston is like a new vesion of Boca. Some distinct differences, but also lots of similarities. Boca is still more exclusive than Weston. I just compare the two because of the numerous gated communities for wealthy and upper-middle income residents. There are no bad areas of Weston.
Nolefan,

What salary range would you consider to be upper-middle in SE Florida? I'm just wondering? Here in NYC my hubby and I make about 170k+ and we are considered upper-middle - in reality - I consider us - working-middle. I know that their are class distinctions surrounding socio econimic status - I'm not talking about this. My life is not so difficult in NYC that I card hardly stand it - my life is comfortable, I have 2 cars a small but nice/clean apartment in an okay/very convenient area. However, I can not stay here and afford to give my kids the life that I am looking for - for them. School dances, sports in school before high school, green grass, etc. I know it isn't everything, but I loved middle school and High school and most of it was in Maryland, where schools look like college campuses LOL. I want that for my boys and I know that I can't offer this unless I move from here. So, if you would be kind enough to let me know what salary one might fall into to be upper middle class, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,475,304 times
Chelsea>

It is subjective and depends on where you live. A combined household income of $170,000 would be considered upper middle income in South FL. That is more than enough to live comfortable here. But NYC salaries are much higher than FL salaries, so your income would go down once you move here most likely. Still, if combined you make $120,000+ in FL then I would consider you upper-middle.

Personally, I consider any family that can afford a large, 3BR house in a gated community in Weston, who owns multiple vehicles that cost $40,000+, and who can reasonably afford those things (non-victims of mortgage fraud, balloon loans, credit card debt, etc.), I consider to be upper middle class.

The average salary in South FL is about $45,000 for an individual. Anyone making that salary or less I consider working-class. If you make that type of salary in South FL, chances are you are living pretty tight right now. If you are married, and combined incomes are $90,000 then you're doing better, but you're probably in the middle-class range. If you and your husband each make $60,000 ($120,000 combined), you are upper-middle class. The extra income is considerable and allows you to live comfortably.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:47 AM

6 posts, read 16,665 times
Default Bad and good areas

the closer to the coast the better. west of Dixie Hwy is still okay. between Dixie and the Turnpike it gets ugly.
I love in Old Pompano and its great, on the other hand 5 blocks further to the west you think you are in Nairobi. I am European so its shocking for me to see how extreme America is. Along the A1A houses of 10m and 1 mile away it looks like a third world nation.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:15 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,994 times
I can tell most everybody that post here live out west of University.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:43 PM

233 posts, read 531,048 times
^lol no lighthouse point or hillsboro beach? Those cities have homes that easily rival any area in Broward...particularly the houses along hillsboro mile and across the intercoastal.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 PM

48 posts, read 140,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
The worst:

Melrose Park
Lol.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:43 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
^lol no lighthouse point or hillsboro beach? Those cities have homes that easily rival any area in Broward...particularly the houses along hillsboro mile and across the intercoastal.
It's similar to how we don't go to too many place west of I95. I think I've said this to you before where most of the people have no clue what's east of A1A. I'd suggest anyone that lives in Coral Springs to just driver east on Sample Rd until it ends. You might be surprise to find what's behind there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area