Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:35 PM

85 posts, read 587,104 times

Advertisements

After hearing all this threads about Miami, I decided we are going to the north! Someone knows the best neighborhoods in Ft Lauderdale?
A schools, close to the beach, cute houses, safe for our boys? Please please tell me names since I live in Boston is hard to research! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 07:21 PM

6 posts, read 50,088 times
Default ft lauderdale

you are making the right decision as ft lauderdale and broward is really the suburbs of miami.you are still close to the city but not with as much crime and nonsense.Broward has a better element of people.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:52 AM

7 posts, read 77,254 times
depends on your price range.... the best areas would be Weston, Parkland, parts of Plantation, parts of Coral Springs.... for the most part, the further west the better.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 AM

326 posts, read 1,453,334 times
I am not sure I would consider FTL suburbs of Miami, but it is nothing personal, just an opinion. FTL has quite a different character from Miami. It lacks the Latino feel and the international appeal. It is a little less chaotic, less of a party animals as compared to its neighbor. FTL can be different depending of where you live. The beach corridor is beautiful. Victoria Park and Coral Ridge have good elementary schools (it all comes down to middle school, though). Virginia Shuman Young Montessori Magnet is in Victoria Park, but it is a lottery and you can get in also if you live in other towns in Broward County. Away from the beach, you can still find decent public schools (they say...) in Weston, Parkland, Coral Springs. You loose the beach, which to me is the main attraction here. But you buy more house than along the coast, which can be cost prohibitive to most people. Hollywod has very nice neighborhoods along the intracoastal, then it gets a little rougher west of I-95. But remember: it is all relative. What may look rough to me, may not be at all to someone else. We all have different standards. What I provided you with is information based on my standards. I expect a lot in terms of schools (in fact I chose private) and I can not stand the more western side of Broward County, with its gated communities, huge mansions, anonymous strip malls, entire neighborhoods sitting on land that was Everglades not long ago (although I live on top of mangrove soil....) I rather live in a smaller house on the intracoastal than lose myself in an eternal sequence of identical neighborhoods out west. As for safety, unless you live in a gated community you will not find it for your children in South Florida.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:28 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,816 times
Check out Cooper City, located in southwest Broward. We have wonderful schools and we are a small city. We have many different lovely communities with some gated neighborhoods. I personally don't live in a gated one, though. Careful though, the new housing being built on the old Waldrep Dairy called "Montxrra" is extremely close to high tension wires and the fuel line to Miami Intl Airport runs right through it.

http://coopercityfl.org/

Old 03-22-2007, 07:45 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I vote for southwest ranches, or something west of highway 27. Too bad it's all super bubble priced!

Old 03-23-2007, 06:49 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I vote for southwest ranches, or something west of highway 27. Too bad it's all super bubble priced!
Nothing but a mobile home park west of Highway 27 in Broward, though....and the Everglades.

I agree, Southwest Ranches is nice, but most people are priced out of that area though.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:04 PM

356 posts, read 1,269,224 times
sure southwest ranches is the place to be if you can afford it. There is land out there so it gets really expensive.

Try cooper city or pembroke pines (west of university) it is still pricy there but not as bad. Like 400-500K. Davie and plantation are also nice.

Weston is also great. (that is where I would move my family if I could afford it) same price as above

Old 03-27-2007, 12:30 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
First off wise decision to not move to Miami-Dade county, you are saving yourself, trust me. I am not sure of the name of the community as I don't live in Ft. Lauderdale. But friends of mine used to live east of Las Olas, it is a really cute and nice area. I am not sure about the schools or costs, probably expensive, but what isn't anymore...but at least you would be closer to the beach than living out in Weston.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,581 times
FTL is NOT a suburb of Miami! But, uh, yeah - everyone move to FTL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area