Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 PM

23 posts, read 117,219 times

Advertisements

So my hubby and I found our perfect place to rent in Broward: A nice gated, newly built townhome complex in Dania. We've already gotten approved by the home owner but now we are waiting for our approval from the HOA before we can move in.

Hubby is really concerned because he has credit problems and two misdemeanor from four years ago. My background and credit is fine. We both work and make almost 4X the amount rent is every month. We also have a 3 month old baby boy.

We told landlord this from the get go (and offered first last & security) So he knows and understands our situation. He doesn't seem afraid if the HOA turns us down (I don't know if that's because he has other offers waiting or they aren't really that strict.)

I talked to another lady who had another unit for rent in the same complex. She told me she had two guys under 25 living there that both work as night time security, and seemed confident that we could move in by the 15th after they moved out on the 5th.

How serious does HOA take their tenant checks? Is it just to know who's living there and how long? Are they looking to avoid tenants with serious convictions and maybe be those unable to afford to live there? Or are they super strict? I'm sure it varies but if someone could give me a good idea, or experience to share...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Unhappy U Can Get Anything Online!!!

How much the HOA looks at depends upon how much they are willing to spend......just go to one of the phone book web sites and enter your name/phone number/etc...after you hit the enter button...up pops "would you like further information on this person...previous addresses/arrest record/previous marriages/etc.......try it...you might not like the results...good luck

Old 09-04-2008, 03:07 PM

65 posts, read 244,620 times
Default Strict HOA

We are going through the same thing for a community in the Pembroke Pines area. The owner of the townhouse has already approved us so we spoke to the person in the main office, filled out the application for the HOA to approve us and paid $200 for a 48 hour turn around background check.

It seems that you give the HOA more information that you give your family. They also told us that it could take up to 1 month before we are approved but we are hoping it is less.

She mentioned that they are VERY strict and that they call all the references listed on your application as well as your current landlord or family members if you are living with someone. She also said that they had denied people based on their credit report, even though that is not something that they should take into consideration but the Property Manager has.

The background company they used has already called 2 of the references on our list and have mentioned that a thorough criminal background is next.

Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM
NNC

2 posts, read 54,163 times
I am waiting on an approval. I am buying this townhouse in Pembroke Pines. Paid $100 for processing fee. I already have a contract signed and everything all I am waiting on is an approval. My Realtor said this part usually takes the longest 3-4 wks. So far, I know they ran my credit and they called my current Landlord. I hope I get approved because this is first time buying a property and I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I just want it to be over with!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 50,876 times
Can we as a bonafide Florida HOA require a background check on both potential renters and purchasers. Also, can we require the owner/landlord or owner/seller to pay for said background check provided of course we do not discriminate in categories protected by Florida law? We are not concerned as much about past credit problems, but more concerned with criminality.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:54 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,548 times
HOA approval process varies greatly from community to community... I have seen people getting approved in 24 hrs and I have seen it taking it full month (where they call in all references, landlord, employers etc). Typically condo associations are much thorough than single family HOAs.

Good luck and don't get overly anxious... it will work out

Old 03-06-2021, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 13,133 times
I have been in my home I rent for 3 days now. The owner told me I had to wait on HOA approval and they have been brushing us off for over two weeks because he needed to fix screens and a mailbox. After waiting for the lengthy time and about to be homeless he advised me to email him saying we have to quarantine and to go ahead and move in. He said in many messages between us that they have the ultimate approval but they won’t deny us. So he gives the okay to move in and said he will deal with whatever penalties from the HOA. He texted me telling me all of this. The next morning after moving in he told me they denied the app because they seem the uhaul in the driveway. He then tells me not to unpack all my things and possibly look for another place. Although he said we could move in. $5000 later I tell him just give me my
Money back and I’ll place my things in storage and my family will live in a hotel
Because it seems sketchy. Like if you knew we would end in having to move because you told us we can move in without approval and end up having to move why tell us we can. What are my options? I’m stressed beyond max!

Old 03-13-2021, 11:55 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Looking for a home in FLL and this is why I refuse to buy in an HOA community.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:49 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anngreg79 View Post
Can we as a bonafide Florida HOA require a background check on both potential renters and purchasers. Also, can we require the owner/landlord or owner/seller to pay for said background check provided of course we do not discriminate in categories protected by Florida law? We are not concerned as much about past credit problems, but more concerned with criminality.
Yes and yes. I am not an attorney but this was our experience in Weston. FL where we were a homeowner & later a landlord.

You can check the HOA docs for North Lakes HOA; if not online, or if there isn’t a website, give the City Manager’s office a call.

I’d help you more but we sold our home 5 years ago & turned over the documents to the new homeowners.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:49 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Looking for a home in FLL and this is why I refuse to buy in an HOA community.
Rather have cars on the lawn, boats out front, cars up and down the street, trash cans left out for days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area