Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 07:21 AM

5,541 posts, read 7,135,681 times

Advertisements

I am considering downsizing to a condo after retiring. Was thinking of one of those nice two story small condo communities, not a high rise.

After the disaster at Surfside, has the new assessments impacted condo sales for all types of condos?

Is a condo purchase now considered a poor investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 09:29 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,257,815 times
If you stick with one or two story communities, the new regulations do not apply. We haven't seen the impact yet of the increased monthly fees that compliance will force on most affected communities but it's coming. I expect the condo market statewide to take a big hit once the new reserves have been established and funding them has begun. No way a $500,000 condo unit with $600/month fees will still sell for the same price if monthlies increase to $1500. The buyer pool is going to shrink dramatically. Two story complexes could actually benefit as they become the only affordable option for many buyers.

My opinion, of course, and I could be wrong but I can't think of any scenario where significantly higher fees have no negative impact on prices and demand.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:41 AM

5,541 posts, read 7,135,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Two story complexes could actually benefit as they become the only affordable option for many buyers.
Then those prices are going to go up as the demand for them increases. I should buy one now...

Thanks for your input.

Old 03-05-2024, 12:26 AM

221 posts, read 270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Then those prices are going to go up as the demand for them increases. I should buy one now...

Thanks for your input.
now a year later, may I ask, is it worth buying this time with teh current mortgage rates?

Old 03-05-2024, 07:18 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,232,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiehurt View Post
now a year later, may I ask, is it worth buying this time with teh current mortgage rates?
To me, mortgage rates are one of the many problems with buying a condo. The rates are higher for condos, the underwriting requirements are stricter and a higher down payment is required, all compared to a single family home.

Adding in the new state laws governing required reserves and maintenance schedules, you’re also faced with mandatory assessments and higher monthly fees.

Buyer beware. Buyer be careful.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:01 AM

17,437 posts, read 22,194,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiehurt View Post
Rates are higher than a couple years ago but are still cheap historically.

3% rates were not the norm and you shouldn't expect to see that again any time soon if ever

Old 03-29-2024, 06:02 AM

17,437 posts, read 22,194,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
To me, mortgage rates are one of the many problems with buying a condo. The rates are higher for condos, the underwriting requirements are stricter and a higher down payment is required, all compared to a single family home.

Adding in the new state laws governing required reserves and maintenance schedules, you’re also faced with mandatory assessments and higher monthly fees.

Buyer beware. Buyer be careful.
Banks also don't want small loans. I helped a relative buy a 75K condo and 50K loans were tough to come by. The banks don't want to get stuck with a condo and its hoa fees/assessments if the buyer defaults/dies and they are not making any money from the low interest on a 50K loan.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:12 AM

25,967 posts, read 12,977,807 times
I prefer the side by side single story residences sold widely in Florida. I call them duplexes, but they have nicer names for them now. I leased one for 1.5 yrs when I first returned to FLA, & it was designed in a way that provided adequate privacy...much more privacy than any condo I lived in.

I had no stairs and nobody above me...both excellent features.

They are selling quite well all around FLA, but I'm not sure if they are available elsewhere. I dont see why not.

If I were to buy a condo, I agree w/ the OP's choice of a 2 story to avoid all the new laws post Miami condo collapse.

I owned a 2 story condo before, & always had noise from above....hated that.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:01 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,232,222 times
Even with a two story condo, you can’t escape the condo association insurance increases. A client of mine who lives in a condo told me earlier this year there’s only 3 companies that will write insurance on condo buildings. So not a lot of choice or competition for condo boards to choose from for the residents.
I know the state recently approved more companies but I don’t know if they are entering the condo market.

Old 03-29-2024, 02:47 PM

221 posts, read 270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Banks also don't want small loans. I helped a relative buy a 75K condo and 50K loans were tough to come by. The banks don't want to get stuck with a condo and its hoa fees/assessments if the buyer defaults/dies and they are not making any money from the low interest on a 50K loan.

I had the same issue getting pre-qualified for a small mortgage

I got pre-approved by Space Coast Credit Union

What worries me now is not being able to get home insurance even with a small mortgage where i have 75% down payment in cash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area