Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:52 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,566 times

Advertisements

Im 30 and live in Los Angeles. While I don't want to live her forever, I've got a good job and stable relationship and don't plan on moving anytime soon.

With that being said, real estate is expensive here.

I'm putting in offers at condos around the $400k-$500k range and found a few I really like.

As I'm doing research, it looks like condos, HOAs, etc are frowned upon in the real estate community.

So, if I shouldn't be purchasing a condo, what's a better move? Rent and keep saving? Buy a house in a less desirable area and make a commute? What should I be doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 07:09 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,219 times
You say you don't want to live in LA forever but also don't plan on moving anytime soon. A reasonable estimate for how long you want to live there could pretty easily make your decision. Any ideas?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
You say you don't want to live in LA forever but also don't plan on moving anytime soon. A reasonable estimate for how long you want to live there could pretty easily make your decision. Any ideas?
Guesstimate: 5 years?

Obviously, no one knows what will happen in the future, but I'm in a good spot now personally and professionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-27-2013, 07:16 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
> As I'm doing research, it looks like condos, HOAs, etc are frowned upon in the real estate community.

Umm, no. There is a small number of vocal whiners who have had bad experiences. A condo can be an attractive buy in places with high density, high cost housing. A condo is not a good idea in a locality where they are uncommon and may not be easy to resell.

EVERYONE will agree that you should understand what you are buying into, and what rules and restrictions will apply. Read and understand your documents.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> As I'm doing research, it looks like condos, HOAs, etc are frowned upon in the real estate community.

Umm, no. There is a small number of vocal whiners who have had bad experiences. A condo can be an attractive buy in places with high density, high cost housing. A condo is not a good idea in a locality where they are uncommon and may not be easy to resell.

EVERYONE will agree that you should understand what you are buying into, and what rules and restrictions will apply. Read and understand your documents.
I'm reading that they don't appreciate like houses and they are harder to resell.

However, I'm not sure if that applies to bigger cities, like NY, LA, SanFran, or Chicago where most middle class can't afford single family homes.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:22 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Guesstimate: 5 years?
5 years is the **minimum** time to make a purchase worthwhile.

Keep renting... but find something far less expensive.
Save more. A lot more. Invest to make up the difference.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:28 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I'm reading that they don't appreciate like houses and they are harder to resell.

However, I'm not sure if that applies to bigger cities, like NY, LA, SanFran, or Chicago where most middle class can't afford single family homes.
....huh?

And RE: 5 years -- Keep renting.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
HOAs are frowned upon by people who don't like HOAs because they don't like insert reason why here. I have some HOA run properties and I have no sign of slowing of people asking to rent or buy. You can always buy and keep it as a investment for later in life. How much are you putting down? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 PM

9 posts, read 12,292 times
Wow you can retire on that in NC.....and a lot of other places. I think only rich people should stay in places as expensive as LA you can do much better somewhere else I'd think about relocating before sinking 500K into a condo, you can get a great job and an awesome house for much less in lots of areas of the US.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
How much are you putting down? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I'll be putting down $100k+ - at least 20% if not more, I don't want to pay PMI. I will probably still be here in 5 years, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
....huh?
Single Family homes inside the city of Chicago are expensive is all I was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsloop View Post
Wow you can retire on that in NC.....and a lot of other places. I think only rich people should stay in places as expensive as LA you can do much better somewhere else I'd think about relocating before sinking 500K into a condo, you can get a great job and an awesome house for much less in lots of areas of the US.
Yeah, but then I'd have to live in NC... $400k condo in LA won't get you anything glamorous. And, I have a good income and I like it here, I don't want to leave. I know it sounds like a lot, but that's a pretty affordable option.

Examples:
1076 S Orange Grove Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90019 is For Sale - Zillow
4415 Saugus Ave APT 306, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403 is For Sale - Zillow
936 N Hudson Ave # 202, Los Angeles, CA 90038 is For Sale - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate