Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 04:57 AM

8 posts, read 12,016 times

Advertisements

I've combed through the threads on this board and found a ton of helpful information about neighborhoods, etc. but could use a little help from people who understand the area.

Husband and I are empty nesters, but we always have a ton of company so in terms of real estate, we're probably looking at a 4 bedroom with an office. We also want to buy in an area that is more recession-proof, or springs back quickly from a decline in the market. I work from home, husband would be based in the Weston area. We'd also love to live in an area that is within walking distance (or a short drive) to cool restaurants, meaning not chains, and fun shopping. A Whole Foods within 5-10 miles would be awesome.

Budget is pretty good, but spending too much would be bad for retirement bottom line, so it would be great to keep it under 1.5. Hopefully well under!

I was looking at Weston itself, which is beautiful, but it seems full of younger families (love that, but for this stage in our lives we're looking for something fun for us), and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of the sort of restaurants we're looking to explore.

Any ideas about pocket communities that are convenient (at most a 45 minute drive) to Weston? Is there a "reverse" commute situation going on that we could take advantage of?

Much thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 08:08 AM

278 posts, read 316,871 times
The areas neighboring town center sound perfect for you. All within walking distance to town center restaurants and shops. Either across the street in the first few subdivisions of weston hills or any of the neighboring isles. Within the 5-10 miles radius ( 10-20 minutes) you have: 2 Whole Foods, at least 4 targets, 2 Walmarts, 2 costcos, tons of Publix’s ( one within town center).

You have the shops south in Pembroke Pines going both east and west, you have sawgrass mills to the northeast, university drive due east, and of course las olas ( all within 20 minutes)

Also, the neighboring communities around town center have tons of empty nesters ( for all the reason mentioned early)

Hope that helps!

Old 12-05-2021, 08:58 AM

Thank you, pierrekid! Much appreciated!

So is there "fine and fun" dining in Weston? I've searched, and have come up blank. I'm trying to find pocket communities outside of Weston as well.

Old 12-05-2021, 01:41 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
What’s your definition of “fine and fun?” I love Flanagan’s—great seafood, (and ribs—actually I have never had a bad meal there) lots of action around the inside bar, and the outside bar by the lake with patio seating.

Did you check out the restaurants at the Weston Town Center? Lots of outside seating at these places; Italian, steakhouse, fancy sandwiches, Spanish—the only chain restaurant down there is the Starbucks. I love The Cheese Course myself—fancy gourmet sandwiches and lots of people watching if you dine outside.

Did you google events at Weston Town Center? Free live music every Friday from 7 pm to 10 pm. There’s a food and wine festival on the 12th in addition to the light of the Christmas tree. The 17th features an artesian market that evening. On the 23rd there’s Christmas Carolers at the Bell Tower.

We lived in Weston for over 20 years—married, no kids, and loved it there. We moved to Gainesville because my husband retired but when I need to go to SFLA to see clients I use Weston as my home away from home. It’s a great enclave in western Broward.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:44 PM

Thank you, wizrap That's very helpful. Yes, the live music sounds fun.

By fine and fun, I mean fine dining and fun & different menu with a great wine list. Small dining room, etc. I'm guessing that if this goes past the consideration phase we're just going to have to rent a while and try things out.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:12 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
If you’re looking for fun, and in the center of things, I’d consider eastern Fort Lauderdale. Coral Ridge, Victoria Park, etc are both amazing active places. The drive to Weston each day will be a bit, but certainly not unbearable. $1.5 won’t go very far in eastern FTL, but you’ll still get a modest home for 8-900 a stone’s throw to places like Las Olas Blvd. You will certainly get more for your money in Weston, but you have to be okay with living the suburban life (nothing wrong with it, as I personally prefer that lifestyle to walkable).

Best of luck.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:39 AM

Thank you, kidyankee! You hit the nail on the head. We've done the suburban life for a long time and would like something different. I've zillowed Victoria Park, but never heard of Coral Ridge. That's the kind of pocket community we're trying to find.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:32 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj421 View Post
Thank you, kidyankee! You hit the nail on the head. We've done the suburban life for a long time and would like something different. I've zillowed Victoria Park, but never heard of Coral Ridge. That's the kind of pocket community we're trying to find.
In that case, focus on Victoria Park, Poinsettia Heights, Colee Hammock, Rio Vista and Coral Ridge. All are nice neighborhoods immediately surrounding downtown Fort Lauderdale.

You may also want to look into eastern Oakland Park (south corals and central corals) between Dixie Highway and Federal Highway. Oakland Park is a former industrial small city that is exploding in popularity as people are priced out of Fort Lauderdale and Wilton Manors. It’s slightly further north but still close to quite a bit.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:17 PM

That's awesome! Thanks!

Old 12-08-2021, 08:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
A perfect pocket community would be Artesia in Sunrise, basically just outside of Weston. It is only townhomes and condos, but there are some really large townhomes here (2500 sq ft). And truly amazing resort style clubhouse with a gym, tennis courts and multiple pools. Artesia is very close to Sawgrass Mills Mall and the FL Panthers hockey arena which also hosts big concerts (Andrea Bocelli, Andre Rieu for example). Literally 3 minutes to get to the highway and zip to Fort Lauderdale for more entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area