Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 08:23 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
OP another place to consider are some of towns bordering Weston. Parts of Plantation, Davie, SW ranches and Pembroke also offer some great options ( parts of these towns are also zoned for some Weston schools as well).

They aren't exactly the same as Weston, but could offer more bang for your buck in terms of housing. And just like Weston, offer great access to Miami and las olas area compared to cities further north.

Hope that helps!
This is a good point, and I believe the same can be said for parts of Coral Springs, which are zoned for Parkland schools.

Nice small cities, but it can be a bit of a trek some days to get east toward 95. That’s the upside to a place like Boca - you’re right there and can hop right on, allowing very easy access to the entire metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 07:13 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Las Olas is actually closer to Boca than Weston (30 minutes from Boca vs 35 from Weston). Miami is also closer to Boca (48 minutes for Boca vs 50 minutes for Weston). So Boca is more convenient to Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach than both Parkland and Weston. That’s why I think Boca is one of the most centrally located family friendly municipalities in all of South Florida.
You get exclusive use of I-595 Express Lanes from Weston almost all the way to Fort Lauderdale. It will take you 25 minutes to drive from Weston to Las Olas.
Also it only takes 15-20 minutes to get from Weston to Fort Lauderdale International airport.
You just can't do this from Boca.
Weston is in a better location, period.

Old 11-21-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lbrown View Post
Thank you for all of your great insights. Can you recommend any newer subdivisions in Parkland or Weston? Also any realtor recommendations?
Savanna in Weston is super nice, and is newer (finished construction 2002-2003). Very kid friendly. Known as the best community for trick-o-treating. Best community pool complex (resort style) out of all Weston developments.

The Isles at Weston is the newest, was finished in 2005-2006. Also very nice clubhouse with a gym and a very nice community pool.

The Ridges in Weston, was built just before Savanna.

Weston Hills is great and is also pricey. It has a country club, and people drive fancier cars. Pool is meh.

In Savanna and The Ridges, there is a very nice floorplan, "Heather", with a nice bedroom and a large bathroom downstairs, and a mother-in-law's suite upstairs.

Parkland has much newer developments, but I think the best quality construction is in Heron Bay, which is not so new. Given a choice I would pick Heron Bay. Amazing amenities - clubhouse, gym, resort style pool.

Watercrest in Parkland is quite nice, very new, nice amenities as well. Eye candy. But during showings I saw some questionable workmanship.

Parkland Golf and Country Club is where it's at. Quality place. Pricey. High HOA fees.

One of my clients, also from Long Island, and myself spent a few months looking at places in Weston and Parkland, and he ultimately chose Parkland, Heron Bay to be exact.

Old 11-21-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
OP another place to consider are some of towns bordering Weston. Parts of Plantation, Davie, SW ranches and Pembroke also offer some great options ( parts of these towns are also zoned for some Weston schools as well).

They aren't exactly the same as Weston, but could offer more bang for your buck in terms of housing. And just like Weston, offer great access to Miami and las olas area compared to cities further north.

Hope that helps!
They don't give you access to the I-595 Express Lanes

Also they don't give you access to Weston's Cypress Bay High School, which is universally known as the best.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
You get exclusive use of I-595 Express Lanes from Weston almost all the way to Fort Lauderdale. It will take you 25 minutes to drive from Weston to Las Olas.
Also it only takes 15-20 minutes to get from Weston to Fort Lauderdale International airport.
From the heart of Weston to FLL, right now - without traffic in perfect driving conditions without having to even use the express lanes - it takes 25 minutes to get to FLL (21 mile drive). Not 15. Downtown Boca to FLL is 24 miles or 26 minutes. Same deal.

From the heart of Weston to central Las Olas Blvd is 23 minutes or 30 miles. From the heart of Boca to the same location is 26 minutes or 22 miles. Again, not a big difference.

Considering Boca is a beach town with beautiful parks and oceanfront, coupled with the same driving time to amenities in Fort Lauderdale, I’d argue Weston has nothing on Boca when it comes to location. And that’s before Boca gets blessed with the Bright Line.

Source: Google maps in all their accuracy.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 11-24-2021 at 09:18 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 11:37 AM

278 posts, read 316,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
From the heart of Weston to FLL, right now - without traffic in perfect driving conditions without having to even use the express lanes - it takes 25 minutes to get to FLL (21 mile drive). Not 15. Downtown Boca to FLL is 24 miles or 26 minutes. Same deal.

From the heart of Weston to central Las Olas Blvd is 23 minutes or 30 miles. From the heart of Boca to the same location is 26 minutes or 22 miles. Again, not a big difference.

Considering Boca is a beach town with beautiful parks and oceanfront, coupled with the same driving time to amenities in Fort Lauderdale, I’d argue Weston has nothing on Boca when it comes to location. And that’s before Boca gets blessed with the Bright Line.

Source: Google maps in all their accuracy.
This is now the second person, from weston, you are debating with…why? Do you get a kick out of it? Seriously man you need to just let things be and move on.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:06 PM

13 posts, read 18,835 times
Quote:
Savanna in Weston is super nice, and is newer (finished construction 2002-2003). Very kid friendly. Known as the best community for trick-o-treating. Best community pool complex (resort style) out of all Weston developments.

The Isles at Weston is the newest, was finished in 2005-2006. Also very nice clubhouse with a gym and a very nice community pool.

The Ridges in Weston, was built just before Savanna.

Weston Hills is great and is also pricey. It has a country club, and people drive fancier cars. Pool is meh.

In Savanna and The Ridges, there is a very nice floorplan, "Heather", with a nice bedroom and a large bathroom downstairs, and a mother-in-law's suite upstairs.

Parkland has much newer developments, but I think the best quality construction is in Heron Bay, which is not so new. Given a choice I would pick Heron Bay. Amazing amenities - clubhouse, gym, resort style pool.

Watercrest in Parkland is quite nice, very new, nice amenities as well. Eye candy. But during showings I saw some questionable workmanship.

Parkland Golf and Country Club is where it's at. Quality place. Pricey. High HOA fees.

One of my clients, also from Long Island, and myself spent a few months looking at places in Weston and Parkland, and he ultimately chose Parkland, Heron Bay to be exact.
This is really helpful. We were taking the kiddos to Orlando for the holidays anyway & have decided to spend 2 nights in South Florida to check out the area. I will be sure to include the subdivisions mentioned above. I know many of the communities are gated, will we be able to drive in to have a look around? Do you think we should also look anywhere in Boca?
Thoughts on the South Florida market/pricing for late winter/early spring? I'm assuming there will be more inventory in spring & many people want to move at the end, prior to the beginning of the next school year?
Any other insights would be greatly appreciated & feel free to message me as well. Thanks!

Old 11-26-2021, 06:06 AM

Quote:
This is now the second person, from weston, you are debating with…why? Do you get a kick out of it? Seriously man you need to just let things be and move on.
I’m not sure why you people are trying to debate actual, real time driving distances and door to door times by shaving off 10 minutes to amenities - unless, of course, you live on the extreme eastern edge of town (which hasn’t been claimed). Let’s not gaslight here.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:48 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Weston is really nothing more than a drained swamp.
To say Weston is in a better location than Boca is laughable. Show me Weston's beach? There is none. Boca is more centrally located with coastal south FL, Weston seems "out there" and low key isolated.

Boca is the better, prettier, more conveniently located choice. Weston is nice, don't get me wrong, but compared to Boca? HA! Boca has better nightlife, shopping, more job opportunities, has i-95 going right through to bounce around s FL more easily.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Weston is really nothing more than a drained swamp.
To say Weston is in a better location than Boca is laughable. Show me Weston's beach? There is none. Boca is more centrally located with coastal south FL, Weston seems "out there" and low key isolated.

Boca is the better, prettier, more conveniently located choice. Weston is nice, don't get me wrong, but compared to Boca? HA! Boca has better nightlife, shopping, more job opportunities, has i-95 going right through to bounce around s FL more easily.
Yeah, I agree. Boca is a premier little city that has everything anyone could want. That’s not to say Weston is a bad place; it’s one of the best suburbs of the metro as well, but it’s just a bit ‘out there’.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area