Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2021, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 12,529 times

Advertisements

In the process of relocating from Chicago to South Florida for a job in Plantation. Married interracial Muslim couple in mid 30's with three children - 5, 7 and 12. Looking for an ethnically diverse area and being able to easily get to Miami is appealing to us. Proximity to beaches and good restaurants (preferably locally owned) would be a plus. Schools don't have to be great as we will probably go the private school route, but good public schools wouldn't hurt in case we decide to switch in the future. Don't want a terrible commute, but could deal with something around 30 mins. Where should we live?

Probably looking to rent a single family house unless we find a condo or townhouse to purchase that could be later turned into a rental property.

Current areas on the list are Hollywood, Ives Dairy Rd area, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City, Miramar, Dania Beach and downtown FTL. Wouldn't be opposed to North Dade County if the commute isn't too bad.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 11:44 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,189,384 times
In South Florida, it’s all about the commute, IMHO, and with the list you came up with, I think Cooper City checks off most of your boxes. Strangely, you didn’t include Plantation on your list and if you are leaning towards private schools, I can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t include it too. Especially since you list another western suburban city to the south of it, Cooper City (and even include two other cities even further south and west, Pembroke Pines and Miramar).

None of your west Broward suburbs are close to the beach. They all have varying degrees of diversity with Hispanic populations.

Unless you really want to be close to the beach, I really wouldn’t consider your east side choices. You also didn’t mention your budget. That might narrow your list a bit.

When in the area, check out Caspian Persian Grill off of Sunrise Blvd. in Plantation. A former client of mine has family who owns and runs the restaurant. Great reviews. There’s a Middle Eastern market next door too.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
In South Florida, it’s all about the commute, IMHO, and with the list you came up with, I think Cooper City checks off most of your boxes. Strangely, you didn’t include Plantation on your list and if you are leaning towards private schools, I can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t include it too. Especially since you list another western suburban city to the south of it, Cooper City (and even include two other cities even further south and west, Pembroke Pines and Miramar).

None of your west Broward suburbs are close to the beach. They all have varying degrees of diversity with Hispanic populations.

Unless you really want to be close to the beach, I really wouldn’t consider your east side choices. You also didn’t mention your budget. That might narrow your list a bit.

When in the area, check out Caspian Persian Grill off of Sunrise Blvd. in Plantation. A former client of mine has family who owns and runs the restaurant. Great reviews. There’s a Middle Eastern market next door too.
I didn't include Plantation because we want to live further south to be closer to Miami. We don't know where my wife will be working yet so we want to be reasonably close to Miami in case she finds a job there and needs to commute. The Plantation area also seems very suburban (I haven't actually been there in person yet) and we are looking for somewhat of a less cookie-cutter experience if that makes sense. We have lived in extremely suburban areas of Chicago and Atlanta and are looking for a bit of a faster lifestyle.

Great recommendation for Caspian Persian Grill. We will be sure to check it out.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:21 PM

What is your budget? If you’re hoping to stay away from that suburban feel, you probably wouldn’t be happy with the west Broward cities on your list (Cooper City, Miramar and Pembroke Pines). The east-side tends to be more expensive but definitely has that faster pace you’re looking for.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
What is your budget? If you’re hoping to stay away from that suburban feel, you probably wouldn’t be happy with the west Broward cities on your list (Cooper City, Miramar and Pembroke Pines). The east-side tends to be more expensive but definitely has that faster pace you’re looking for.
If im renting, under $3500/month. If I'm buying, under 450k. 4 bedroom.

Let me clarify. I am not opposed to a suburban lifestyle. I would just prefer a suburb thats more than just residential. Ethnic food options nearby is probably our top priority.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:05 AM

Did you run a search at all? Reason I ask is that for a SFH on the east-side of the county, you can find something in your price range but square foot will be small, less than 2000 sq ft. You have more choices with your rental budget though. And I think it would be better to rent anyway, for starters, so you can see and experience the area first hand.

All the suburbs that you listed have local and chain restaurants, so there is a mix. Cooper City is the oldest of the west Broward cities you listed so less of a cookie-cutter look (although some newer developments can have that standard Mediterranean Mizner-inspired architecture). Out of all the cities you listed, the only ones with some type of central square of local restaurants and shops are Hollywood (mostly Young Circle area) and downtown Fort Lauderdale (mostly Las Olas area). The other cities are rather mall-based, if there is one nearby.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:53 PM

1,049 posts, read 960,282 times
From your list I'd say Hollywood is probably the best option in terms of diversity, proximity to Miami and the beaches, work commute, etc. I agree with wizrap that you should rent first to see if you like the area before pulling the trigger on something. The larger homes are west of 95 between Hollywood blvd and Griffin Rd.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Ives Dairy is horrific for traffic 24/7. That would not be an area where I would want to live.

Proximity to Miami sounds like fun in theory but in practice, no. It will not take you long to find out that so much of Miami you wanted to love you actually loath. When you move here, you'll understand.

Have your wife try and find a job close to where you live. That commute to Miami is a soul killer. A bad commute can destroy your quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area