Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 10:54 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,009,170 times

Advertisements

Because it's not really an Infrastructure Bill!

While I'm at it - how about a monorail from FLL Airport to Port Everglades cruise terminal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 01:19 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,141,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post

While I'm at it - how about a monorail from FLL Airport to Port Everglades cruise terminal?
Yes, lets spend a billion taxpayer dollars to put all the uber/lyft drivers and cab drivers out of work.

Oh yeah, there are those people that fly in to alternate airports or drive.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:22 PM

17,424 posts, read 22,176,094 times
Quote:

Who is going from FLL to Jax? Mia/FLL to Orlando then Tampa makes more sense.

What's that a 3 mile ride? Uber/cabs/buses got that route covered.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:20 PM

Everybody is defending the taxis and Ubers, which are really hit or miss: dirty cars, obnoxious, sketchy drivers, etc. And to ALL foreigners I talk to - they are amazed that there is no mass transit whisking someone from the airport to the cruise port, downtown, or to the beaches. At least Miami has the Metrorail and Metromover. You go anywhere in Asia, Australia, or Europe and you have several new, clean, mass transit options. It's really embarrassing.

Now how about the topic of the Thread:

How about some Infrastructure money to complete a direct train route along the East Coast, from FTL to Jax, with not having to go to Orlando and Tampa first?

Old 04-12-2021, 07:29 PM

17,424 posts, read 22,176,094 times
Stop.............Ft Lauderdale has 50+ year old sewers spewing raw sewage into the streets/canals. So lets not be so concerned that you can't ride a train to Jacksonville.

BTW- Tri-Rail can take you about 100 miles through South Florida, that would be enough for the masses.

Are you a Jacksonville Jaguars fan that needs to get to 8 home games a year?

Old 04-12-2021, 07:38 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,141,190 times
Quote:
Everybody is defending the taxis and Ubers, which are really hit or miss: dirty cars, obnoxious, sketchy drivers, etc. And to ALL foreigners I talk to - they are amazed that there is no mass transit whisking someone from the airport to the cruise port, downtown, or to the beaches. At least Miami has the Metrorail and Metromover. You go anywhere in Asia, Australia, or Europe and you have several new, clean, mass transit options. It's really embarrassing.

[/b]
You aren't talking to any foreigners here because they aren't in the country.

Yes, Miami's mass transport that is three miles long and the train attendees are armed.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:45 AM

141 posts, read 116,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Stop.............Ft Lauderdale has 50+ year old sewers spewing raw sewage into the streets/canals. So lets not be so concerned that you can't ride a train to Jacksonville.

BTW- Tri-Rail can take you about 100 miles through South Florida, that would be enough for the masses.
Ft. Lauderdale has kicked the can down the road when it comes to fixing pipes for decades. I'm not sure why it's a choice between inter-city rail and a single city being responsible for its own pipes.

Tri-Rail does not connect to the airport.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lessman View Post
Ft. Lauderdale has kicked the can down the road when it comes to fixing pipes for decades. I'm not sure why it's a choice between inter-city rail and a single city being responsible for its own pipes.

Tri-Rail does not connect to the airport.
Excellent point! (must be same people that believe gender identity re-education is a part of Infrastructure)

My neighborhood recently got new and bigger pipes, and more drains into the lakes and canals so I'm good.

As far as rail goes - it was only a few years ago that Fort Lauderdale finally had a downtown passenger station! Before that it was only the freight line, with 100+ cars, that came through and brought downtown traffic to a standstill. The Amtrak station was miles from downtown. Lousy city planning and an embarrassment! Go anywhere in Europe and you'll be astounded at the options to get from an airport to downtown or connect with inter-city transport. But here some people get in their car to go check the mailbox, but then they complain about Global Warming!

Old 04-15-2021, 12:08 PM

836 posts, read 481,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Are you a Jacksonville Jaguars fan that needs to get to 8 home games a year?
The tri rail is 70.9 miles long, nowhere near 100.

For what it’s worth, Amtrak does provide service FLL-JAX

Old 04-15-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
The tri rail is 70.9 miles long, nowhere near 100.

For what it’s worth, Amtrak does provide service FLL-JAX
I am really not looking just at FTL-JAX, but a true Inter-City rail line that serves the East Coast of Florida, which should include a lot of cities and towns currently without passenger rail service.

Right now the tracks run to West Palm Beach then go WEST! to Tampa, then back East but NOT along the coast! So I have to travel all the FN way to Tampa and back to Orlando before I start to crawl up the East Coast again!!!

The following cities are NOT served, and do not have a passenger rail station:
  • Port St Lucie
  • Ft Pierce
  • Vero Beach
  • Palm Bay
  • Melbourne
  • Titusville
  • New Smyrna
  • Daytona
  • Palm Coast
  • St Augustine
So how in the hell is that serving the needs of inter-city transportation on the East Coast of Florida!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area