Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 05:16 PM

9,193 posts, read 6,222,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
I am really not looking just at FTL-JAX, but a true Inter-City rail line that serves the East Coast of Florida, which should include a lot of cities and towns currently without passenger rail service.

Right now the tracks run to West Palm Beach then go WEST! to Tampa, then back East but NOT along the coast! So I have to travel all the FN way to Tampa and back to Orlando before I start to crawl up the East Coast again!!!

The following cities are NOT served, and do not have a passenger rail station:
  • Port St Lucie
  • Ft Pierce
  • Vero Beach
  • Palm Bay
  • Melbourne
  • Titusville
  • New Smyrna
  • Daytona
  • Palm Coast
  • St Augustine
So how in the hell is that serving the needs of inter-city transportation on the East Coast of Florida!!!
Okay - a show of hands of all those who need to travel from Palm Bay to Port St. Lucie on a regular basis and would take a train.

Profitable passenger rail service is only viable where there is density of population and no need of an automobile at the destination. Amtrak's NorthEast Corridor between Boston and Washington accounts for almost all of its operating profits. The Metroliner goes from, to, and through all the major cities in the northeast. You can take the train from midtown NYC directly to midtown Washington and avoid the long and tedious trips to the airports at both ends. The Acela service is reliable and frequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 06:12 PM

835 posts, read 479,280 times
Quote:
I am really not looking just at FTL-JAX, but a true Inter-City rail line that serves the East Coast of Florida, which should include a lot of cities and towns currently without passenger rail service.

Right now the tracks run to West Palm Beach then go WEST! to Tampa, then back East but NOT along the coast! So I have to travel all the FN way to Tampa and back to Orlando before I start to crawl up the East Coast again!!!

• Port St Lucie
  • Ft Pierce
  • Vero Beach
  • Palm Bay
  • Melbourne
  • Titusville
  • New Smyrna
  • Daytona
  • Palm Coast
  • St Augustine
So how in the hell is that serving the needs of inter-city transportation on the East Coast of Florida!!!
It isn’t, because there’s no business case for any of the above cities to have what you’re describing.

You seem to imply there is no rail service between Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville when there is, it just takes a rather odd route.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:10 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,505,010 times
Quote:

• Port St Lucie
  • Ft Pierce
  • Vero Beach
  • Palm Bay
  • Melbourne
  • Titusville
  • New Smyrna
  • Daytona
  • Palm Coast
  • St Augustine
I have a friend in Vero Beach and they were vehemently protesting Brightline going though their town. Maybe all the protests has slowed down rail building in Florida?

Old 04-20-2021, 04:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,122,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I have a friend in Vero Beach and they were vehemently protesting Brightline going though their town. Maybe all the protests has slowed down rail building in Florida?
Nope, Brightline is laying track as fast as they can. They have broken ground on the Orlando station already.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:43 PM

17,257 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Quote:

• Port St Lucie
  • Ft Pierce
  • Vero Beach
  • Palm Bay
  • Melbourne
  • Titusville
  • New Smyrna
  • Daytona
  • Palm Coast
  • St Augustine
IIRC, there are two routes -- one that goes from WPB to Tampa and then through Orlando, Deland, Palatka, and Jax.
Another that goes through Sebring, then also to Orlando, etc., then Jax.

That said, I believe this is more of a Amtrak issue than anything else. Why there is no route going from Orlando to Atlanta is beyond me. And anytime I've taken Amtrak trains, they are packed, so people are riding them...

Old 04-21-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
IIRC, there are two routes -- one that goes from WPB to Tampa and then through Orlando, Deland, Palatka, and Jax.
Another that goes through Sebring, then also to Orlando, etc., then Jax.

That said, I believe this is more of a Amtrak issue than anything else. Why there is no route going from Orlando to Atlanta is beyond me. And anytime I've taken Amtrak trains, they are packed, so people are riding them...
I believe that on that corridor, trackage rights are the biggest issue, and to some extent the largest issue Amtrak faces; freight railroads aren’t willing to give their rights up to squeeze Amtrak train sets on the lines. Should Amtrak be able to fully access the freight railroad network of this country, they’d have a vastly more extensive network.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:58 AM

Also consider the competition of air transport on rail routes.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:23 AM

459 posts, read 620,816 times
FEC is purely a freight company so no stations but does pass in or near to all the cities mentioned. However, the tracks are being upgraded to 2 again and high speed. There will be pax service in a couple of years....but only 1 or 2 stations added.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:16 PM

141 posts, read 115,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Those protests came to nothing apart from spending tax dollars.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:37 PM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Okay - a show of hands of all those who need to travel from Palm Bay to Port St. Lucie on a regular basis and would take a train.

Profitable passenger rail service is only viable where there is density of population and no need of an automobile at the destination. Amtrak's NorthEast Corridor between Boston and Washington accounts for almost all of its operating profits. The Metroliner goes from, to, and through all the major cities in the northeast. You can take the train from midtown NYC directly to midtown Washington and avoid the long and tedious trips to the airports at both ends. The Acela service is reliable and frequent.
You could do that "show of hands" on the whole list of cities and still get no hands up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area