Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,671 times

Advertisements

I am selling my house in Miramar, Florida and I kind of converted the garage to an extra room. We kept the garage door and a little storage area...added a drywall, and a closet. No outlets have been created..the floor and the walls painted but no modification on the floor besides that. I have put my house for sale and I am starting to get really worried about the inspection time. No permits have been pulled and the work was done by a friend. Any insights on what my best course of actions before inspection time are greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 11:24 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator1343 View Post
I am selling my house in Miramar, Florida and I kind of converted the garage to an extra room. We kept the garage door and a little storage area...added a drywall, and a closet. No outlets have been created..the floor and the walls painted but no modification on the floor besides that. I have put my house for sale and I am starting to get really worried about the inspection time. No permits have been pulled and the work was done by a friend. Any insights on what my best course of actions before inspection time are greatly appreciated
Don't worry about it. Tons and tons of houses have non-permitted conversions. It's up to the new owners if they want to accept the work like that or not, but they "know" and it's simply not going to be an issue.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:55 AM

8,058 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator1343 View Post
If the buyer's paying cash, no problem. It's up to the buyer to accept or not any substantial work done without a permit. If a mortgage lender is involved requiring an appraisal, it may be another matter. Appraisers ask for permits on substantial additions or renovations they may be asked to credit. If a bedroom or other substantial renovation isn't permitted, it may not be counted as part of the house's appraised value for the lender.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,671 times
Thank you...that agrees with my research so far...if a lender gets involved it can get complicated..even if the city allows for conversions..they still want to see everything is done up to building codes ...the house was just put for sale and my first prospect is a cash buyer possibly..so that would be nice..if that does not work I will probably have the wall removed..another issue the property is tenant occupied and they are using that bedroom...omg...

Old 02-01-2020, 05:47 AM

577 posts, read 662,642 times
The entire South Florida area is filled with garage conversions, many unpermitted. They are sold regularly with mortgages.

Appraisers see these frequently and know how to value them for the lender. You can always tell the appraiser that if it will be a problem, they can make it "Subject to" and you will remove the wall. It may or may not be necessary. It depends on the lender, appraiser, and your neighborhood.

The most likely scenario is that it will be considered a garage, with a nominal "cost to cure" to remove the drywall. I wouldn't worry too much. Wait until you know what, if anything, you will need to do. The garage conversion may be the reason someone wants it.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
The entire South Florida area is filled with garage conversions, many unpermitted. They are sold regularly with mortgages.

Appraisers see these frequently and know how to value them for the lender. You can always tell the appraiser that if it will be a problem, they can make it "Subject to" and you will remove the wall. It may or may not be necessary. It depends on the lender, appraiser, and your neighborhood.

The most likely scenario is that it will be considered a garage, with a nominal "cost to cure" to remove the drywall. I wouldn't worry too much. Wait until you know what, if anything, you will need to do. The garage conversion may be the reason someone wants it.
This is 100% the correct answer. You can't look at houses in South Florida and not come across tons of garage conversions. It's crazy common.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:41 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
This is 100% the correct answer. You can't look at houses in South Florida and not come across tons of garage conversions. It's crazy common.
Just like people not using turn signals.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Just like people not using turn signals.
Don't get me started....

Old 02-04-2020, 10:43 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
It must be permitted or it will not pass inspection and will not be able to be insured and will not qualify for a mortgage.

No homebuyer will buy it as is with it being an unpermitted addition.

No insurance company will insure it.

Either pull the permits now and pay to have it brought up to code, or convert it back.

FWIW, I ALWAYS include on my sales that the seller is responsible for making whole any upgrades that are not permitted on the seller's dime.

I do this for the above.

If the city finds out, they will fine you $100 per day until it is reverted back or brought up to code.

Contrary to the above, there are no longer a lot of unpermitted add ons all over the city.

FWIW, your insurance can refuse to pay a claim with your unpermitted addition.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:46 AM

Houses sell with unpermitted modifications every day, all the time. Heck, my own home had an unpermitted room built in the garage, AC and all. It never even came up in the inspection or closing. No issue with insurance, either. I wouldn't even concern myself with it unless it actually becomes an issue. At which point, it's a very simple removal of a wall - a few hundred bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area