Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 07:24 PM

39 posts, read 62,272 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I relocated to Parkland in June, 2014 from Manalapan, NJ. People often ask me about my relocation to South Florida, as they are considering a move to Broward or Palm Beach counties. We've lived here 5 years now and I put both my boys through the Parkland schools. My older son is now in college and my younger son is graduating MSD this year.

Although Parkland was hit by terrible tragedy nearly 2 years ago, we are a strong, close-knit community- a place where everyone knows each other. We have a wonderful and supportive mayor, Christine Hunschofsky.

We researched many areas over a span of 7 years. Surrounded by beautiful parks, endless bike trails, and lush greenery, Parkland retains a unique and special feel. We have farms, an equestrian center, "Barkland" Dog Park, and year-round community activities.

Parkland is an amazing place to raise a family. My only regret is that I wasn't able to move here even sooner, when my kids were younger.

Other beautiful areas we considered were Boca Raton and Weston. I know West Boca is popular with families and has good schools. Weston is another beautiful area with highly rated schools. You can't go wrong with any of these areas!

This site was a big help to me when I was nervous and unsure of making this move back in 2014. If you are reading this post, I know how you feel! If you have any questions about Parkland or other surrounding areas, I am happy to help as so many helped me on this invaluable platform
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 08:54 PM

278 posts, read 316,871 times
Glad it all worked out for you Amy! Always great to have someone willing to help others

Old 01-23-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
Glad it all worked out for you Amy! Always great to have someone willing to help others
Thank you! Always happy to help others especially since there are so many in the same boat as we were

Old 01-29-2020, 08:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
So glad you had such a positive experience.

Anything you wished you had known before you moved?

Old 01-30-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So glad you had such a positive experience.

Anything you wished you had known before you moved?
I don't think so. I wanted to move here for 7 years. I had family here and had been coming since I was 8 years old. It's all I wanted it to be

Old 01-31-2020, 07:34 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAmy14 View Post
I don't think so. I wanted to move here for 7 years. I had family here and had been coming since I was 8 years old. It's all I wanted it to be
Are you planning to move somewhere else after the 7 years?

Old 01-31-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Are you planning to move somewhere else after the 7 years?
No, I was referring to the fact that we had wanted to move here for 7 years before we were finally able to. We are here since 2014 and not planning on going anywhere!

Old 02-02-2020, 09:20 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
Sorry to burst your bubble, OP, but most people in Parkland and neighboring Boca Raton are rude, recalcitrant, entitled transplants from New Jersey and New York. They will knock you over with their shopping cart (or vehicle) and not even acknowledge your existence, let alone apologize to you. I once witnessed an old Jewish lady, presumably originally from New York, get into a screaming match with a Spanish guy on the frozen foods aisle of the Publix grocery store on Coral Ridge Drive. People in that area do not behave like “wealthy” people in other parts of the country; they are disgustingly low-class. Since you are originally from New Jersey, like most people who live in the area, this type of behavior is probably not noticeable or concerning to you. However, if you are from another part of the country where people generally exhibit more grace and decorum in social interactions, then you will be in for a rude awakening in Parkland and adjacent communities. I am originally from a working-class area of Rhode Island, not too far from New Jersey and New York, and I was highly offended by the antisocial behavior I consistently experienced and observed throughout the region for the many years I lived in the area.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, OP, but most people in Parkland and neighboring Boca Raton are rude, recalcitrant, entitled transplants from New Jersey and New York. They will knock you over with their shopping cart (or vehicle) and not even acknowledge your existence, let alone apologize to you. I once witnessed an old Jewish lady, presumably originally from New York, get into a screaming match with a Spanish guy on the frozen foods aisle of the Publix grocery store on Coral Ridge Drive. People in that area do not behave like “wealthy” people in other parts of the country; they are disgustingly low-class. Since you are originally from New Jersey, like most people who live in the area, this type of behavior is probably not noticeable or concerning to you. However, if you are from another part of the country where people generally exhibit more grace and decorum in social interactions, then you will be in for a rude awakening in Parkland and adjacent communities. I am originally from a working-class area of Rhode Island, not too far from New Jersey and New York, and I was highly offended by the antisocial behavior I consistently experienced and observed throughout the region for the many years I lived in the area.
Sorry to hear about your negative experiences here. Of course there are rude people here as there are everywhere unfortunately, some places more than others. Parkland or South Florida is not for everyone and you have to seek out people who are like you wherever you live. Unfortunately these days manners and politeness seem to be hard to find and this frustrates me on a daily basis as I am in sales and deal with all types of people. I happen to be a very polite caring, friendly person so I cannot understand how people can not be that way. I was just posting my personal positive experience as I still get many messages from people asking how my move was and my feelings about living here and making this move, and I happen to be 100% happy with my move here from central NJ. I personally feel Parkland is a very special, unique, small close knit town. We've been through a lot here and are stronger because of it. Life is very short and you never know what tomorrow will bring so we have to be grateful for every day.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:03 PM

48 posts, read 67,848 times
To Bert: exactly how did you know the “old lady” was Jewish? She couldn’t be Italian? Was she wearing a huge Star of David around her neck? Was she yelling out “I’m Jewish?” Inquiring minds want to know.

Having lived in Manalapan NJ for eleven years and now in a slightly wealthier area of Monmouth County, NJ for 20 years, as well as owning a house in West Boca now for 8 years, I’ve heard people just like Bert for many years. There are nasty people throughout the country and there are good people. By the way, my husband went to the University of Rhode Island years ago. I’ve been there. It’s very similar to New Jersey - similar demographics, similar tempers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area