Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 04:52 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugloverboca View Post
To Bert: exactly how did you know the “old lady” was Jewish? She couldn’t be Italian? Was she wearing a huge Star of David around her neck? Was she yelling out “I’m Jewish?” Inquiring minds want to know.

Having lived in Manalapan NJ for eleven years and now in a slightly wealthier area of Monmouth County, NJ for 20 years, as well as owning a house in West Boca now for 8 years, I’ve heard people just like Bert for many years. There are nasty people throughout the country and there are good people. By the way, my husband went to the University of Rhode Island years ago. I’ve been there. It’s very similar to New Jersey - similar demographics, similar tempers!
I am not a nasty person -- quite the contrary is true, actually. I have a very successful sales career, and as you know, one cannot be successful in sales while being abrasive, inconsiderate or rude. Unfortunately, when I lived in Boca Raton, I consistently encountered the nastiest, most antisocial people ever on a routine basis. In that city, it is customary for people to slam doors in your face, cut you in a checkout line, ram their shopping cart into yours, increase their vehicle speed to prevent you from crossing the street, drive 40 MPH in a busy parking lot, flash their brights at your vehicle (if they felt you were driving too slowly), etc. If you consider that normal behavior, then I have news for you, dear: You have never lived in a normal American city or town. Perhaps that is what life is like in New Jersey; I do not know because I have never lived there. But, I am sorry, that is NOT what life is like in California, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, New Hampshire, Missouri, Minnesota, New Mexico, Texas, Vermont, Washington, etc. -- basically anywhere else in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 05:28 PM

48 posts, read 67,848 times
I think your use of the word “dear” is the equivalent of the southern “well bless your heart.” I think you’re looking for the bad instead of noticing the good. You never had anyone let you go in front of them in a supermarket line when you only had a few items? Nobody ever did a favor for you, or was kind to you? I find that hard to believe. There are jerks and there are good people wherever you go. Now if you want to get started on driving and drivers, I agree with you there!

Old 02-05-2020, 06:45 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
Quote:
I think your use of the word “dear” is the equivalent of the southern “well bless your heart.” I think you’re looking for the bad instead of noticing the good. You never had anyone let you go in front of them in a supermarket line when you only had a few items? Nobody ever did a favor for you, or was kind to you? I find that hard to believe. There are jerks and there are good people wherever you go. Now if you want to get started on driving and drivers, I agree with you there!
I am very friendly, conscientious person, and I have high expectations for others around me to adhere to generally accepted cultural norms and values, whether on the road or in person. As a general rule, people who live in South Florida are neither friendly nor conscientious. So, I believe that I was let down by the people who live in that area based upon my own high expectations.

Although I tried to see the good in people, I felt as though "the bad" outweighed "the good" nine times out of ten in South Florida. The only people with whom I really clicked while living in Boca with were transplants from California and other parts of the South (e.g., Georgia, Kentucky, Texas, etc.) as well as Canadian immigrants. Everyone else was just too antisocial, too neurotic or too shady for my tastes, and as a result, I had no interest in building meaningful friendships with other people outside of a select few. In every other state in which I have lived, I have had tons and tons of friends, especially in California. Sometimes, it is actually the place, not the person.

If you are Jewish and/or originally from the Tri-State area, then I am certain that your overall experience of living in Boca will be more positive than mine because you will simply have more common with the average resident and be able to better relate to the cultural norms and values that pervade the local community. I knew Jewish people from Rhode Island who really enjoyed living in Boca and seemed to have an easier time meeting people, making friends and blending into the local community than I did, even though we originated in the same place. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 02-05-2020 at 07:00 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 04:52 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,550,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAmy14 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I relocated to Parkland in June, 2014 from Manalapan, NJ. People often ask me about my relocation to South Florida, as they are considering a move to Broward or Palm Beach counties. We've lived here 5 years now and I put both my boys through the Parkland schools. My older son is now in college and my younger son is graduating MSD this year.

Although Parkland was hit by terrible tragedy nearly 2 years ago, we are a strong, close-knit community- a place where everyone knows each other. We have a wonderful and supportive mayor, Christine Hunschofsky.

We researched many areas over a span of 7 years. Surrounded by beautiful parks, endless bike trails, and lush greenery, Parkland retains a unique and special feel. We have farms, an equestrian center, "Barkland" Dog Park, and year-round community activities.

Parkland is an amazing place to raise a family. My only regret is that I wasn't able to move here even sooner, when my kids were younger.

Other beautiful areas we considered were Boca Raton and Weston. I know West Boca is popular with families and has good schools. Weston is another beautiful area with highly rated schools. You can't go wrong with any of these areas!

This site was a big help to me when I was nervous and unsure of making this move back in 2014. If you are reading this post, I know how you feel! If you have any questions about Parkland or other surrounding areas, I am happy to help as so many helped me on this invaluable platform
Wonderful post on a community I might have passed on otherwise. I’ve been looking a bit north, near Jupiter, as well as west, Gulf side. I’ll take a closer look at Parkland. Thanks, OP.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:04 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
While I think drawing regional & ethnic distinctions is interesting, not appreciating the positive attributes of such differences is missing out. It probably speaks to the character & personality of the observer more than the observed. I regularly come into contact with people from all the areas mentioned in Florida, as well as New England. I manage to appreciate & even enjoy the many micro cultural distinctions. It makes life interesting. I'm not originally from New York/New Jersey/Rhode Island/Etc., but I find these are some of the most direct & deeply kind individuals I have the joy of meeting.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:10 PM

185 posts, read 133,522 times
I think Parkland is a beautiful area of south Florida. I live in neighboring Coral Springs and I've seen the amazing and gorgeously landscaped real estate of Parkland. However, It is still south Florida, and with it, comes the south Florida attitude. I don't converse with many people in Parkland, but for the most part, I hear they're friendly and less pretentious than Boca folks. With that. I would not mind living in parkland, although, I'm considering leaving the state, altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area