Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 3,996 times

Advertisements

Hello South Floridians!

My family and I are relocating to your neck of the woods from Massachusetts in June. My two boys (4 and 10) will be attending American Heritage and we are excited to start our new life down south.

We have just started house hunting and I am struggling to learn the areas, understand the market, etc. I know pretty clearly what we are looking for; 4+ bed, 2.5+ bath, some grass, and as close to the school as reasonably possible - right now we drive an hour round trip each morning and again each afternoon...we are done with that-even if a bus is accessible, we don't want the kids to be traveling back and forth so far to school everyday.

We are hoping to keep the cost at or below $650k and we are looking for a neighborhood feel, some place where we can really settle in.

Are we asking for the impossible?? After spending some time looking over the market currently I am getting a little worried. Does anyone have any advice the could impart? Clearly we are not in a rush, but I would love to feel confident that what we are looking for does exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 10:02 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,856,261 times
Hi there. Where will you be working?

1. Weston. You can never go wrong with Weston. But if the public schools aren't that important to you, seeing how your kids will be going to American Heritage, then you could look at some other places and get more home for the price. Weston prices are higher because of the excellent public schools.

2. Western areas of Davie

3. Western areas of Plantation

4. Some areas of Sunrise. Do you want a single family home or maybe a *really* nice townhouse will do the trick? I currently happen to live in an ah-mazing resort style townhouse community in Sunrise, a short drive away from American Heritage. Townhomes here cost from high $300,000 to high $600,000, and everything is taken care of by the HOA.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Our work will be based in Plantation however, we primarily work from home so work commute isn't a big concern for us...just school.

As for the idea of a townhome, many of these are lovely and we did consider them but we were really hoping to have a private pool, which isn't very feasible in those communities.

It can be so difficult looking from a distance, hard to tell the areas that are a good fit from 1,500 miles away

Thank you again for the feedback and I hope you have a Happy Holiday!

Old 12-25-2019, 04:22 PM

836 posts, read 484,776 times
Quote:
Are we asking for the impossible?
Pretty much, unless you’re willing to significantly increase your budget.

Quote:
Clearly we are not in a rush, but I would love to feel confident that what we are looking for does exist.
It does not. Not for a budget of $650k, anyway. 4+ bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and a private pool in a nice community neighborhood for $650k? In south Florida? Pffffft.

Old 12-25-2019, 05:14 PM

Right now the market is quite slow, with the holidays et al. There will be a lot more inventory come March-April.

Old 12-25-2019, 05:51 PM

5,027 posts, read 7,484,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post

It does not. Not for a budget of $650k, anyway. 4+ bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and a private pool in a nice community neighborhood for $650k? In south Florida? Pffffft.
Good post.
Sorry OP

Old 12-25-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Good post.
Sorry OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post

You guys are acting like $650K is chump change.

There are plenty of nice single family homes listed under $675K within a 15 minute drive from American Heritage at 8:00AM. Some are in Weston (which doesn't have any bad neighborhoods). Some are even in Weston Hills!

https://sef.mlsmatrix.com/DE.asp?ID=13414701630&L=1

Old 12-26-2019, 03:31 AM

836 posts, read 484,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
You guys are acting like $650K is chump change.

There are plenty of nice single family homes listed under $675K within a 15 minute drive from American Heritage at 8:00AM. Some are in Weston (which doesn't have any bad neighborhoods). Some are even in Weston Hills!

https://sef.mlsmatrix.com/DE.asp?ID=13414701630&L=1
Depends on which American Heritage you are speaking of, there are multiple in the area.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:27 AM

Thanks again for the feedback - both the positive and negative thoughts are appreciated...honest thoughts are important, even if unpleasant. We will be attending is the Plantation campus AH. And yes, I can clearly see there are beautiful homes near there that exceed our budget, but it is good to hear there are affordable homes around also. Can I ask for thoughts on the Jacaranda area, specifically near the golf course? Seems to be some inventory turnover there that appears to meet our needs, but uncertain if this is the type of neighborhood we are looking for. Weston does seem wonderful also and again, there appear to be houses there that would ring the bell, but again without actually being there it is difficult to know what the surroundings are like. Wouldn’t be bad to have a backup for schools also in case AH doesn’t end up to be a good fit and from what I can tell Weston schools are great.
Thanks again in advance!

Old 12-26-2019, 08:31 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,650,528 times
These are some odd comments. The area is LOADED with beautiful houses under $650k in nice neighborhoods that meet your needs. $650k is a substantial budget for Broward. A 4/2.5 with a pool in a nice neighborhood can be found well under $500k.

I would look at Shenandoah in Davie. Quick drive to American Heritage, nice neighborhood, well under budget for what you want, easy no-traffic commute to Plantation, etc. Even some of the neighborhoods right near American Heritage. On the West side of Flamingo.

Also Cooper City - Rock Creek and Embassy Lakes. Goodness, your request is far from impossible, if anything, your budget is quite generous.

Ruski is also right about townhouses. I would at least LOOK at Artesia in Sunrise. You may hate it, you may love it. I know someone who lives there as well and absolutely loves it. But really, if you want a house, you have tons of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area