Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:53 PM

468 posts, read 356,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Same exact place I was Memorial Day. The beach at the end of Las Olas Boulevard. It was stunning yesterday. No sargassum in sight.
That is a great area....I moved to Lauderdale when I was 20 and lived there through out the 70's and 80's....best time of my life ...and even back than Las Olas Blvd was very cool.....met the most fun people at or near the beach than any other place in my life....I still have put away somewhere a t-shirt from the Parrot Lounge that shows the parrot and says 7 for 1 on it ..where you could get 7 draft beers for a buck....real good times....was like a dive bar way back than but a good local dive bar.....

Became friends with 2 brothers who owned and operated a pizza and Italian joint on east Sunrise Blvd called the Pizza Shack....Franco and Vinny....Franco was always out mingling with the patrons and was a fun and very cool guy....Vinny was the shorter of the two and mostly was in the kitchen and seemed to always be a bit nervous...complete opposite of his out going brother Franco....I had knowledge on gunite pools and Franco had bought a small apartment complex near the beach for an investment but was having some issues with the pool so I helped him out.....wouldn't take any money from him but he did me right when I bought in a date and ate and drank on the house..

I see now doing a quick search that their place is now called Franco and Vinny's.....I haven't been back to Lauderdale since the late 80's so I was wondering if the brothers are still alive as they were both quite a bit older than I was and if they are are, do they still hang at their place ? if you would happen to know...

Franco and Vinnys World Famous Pizza Shack in Fort Lauderdale

Someday I plan to get back down there....places change everywhere even if strictly due to population growth but I just want to revisit the one place where everyday was a fun day....a real paradise....and while it was called Where the boys are I never before have seen and met so many fine looking and fun girls.....just good times there....I miss those times....and hanging out with a friend Joe Namath, quarterback of the Jets, hanging out at his joint Bachelors III, hitting up the Playpen and some other club on Oakland Park Blvd whose name escapes me at the moment....Joe was the must humble guy I ever had the pleasure to know....nowhere like the media made it out to be...actually , most of the times we went out he would ride with his childhood friend and and attorney who became his agent....his name was Jimmy Walsh..who had a convertible .....good people, good times and fun fun fun.

Last edited by NY 915; 06-17-2019 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 01:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Haulover was weed free.

Well, Haulover is a hike for me from Wilton especially with all the traffic. Plus, the water in Miami area always seems to be nicer in appearance than Fort Lauderdale and not sure why that is. someone on here said Fort Lauderdale is no different than sunny isles in water color, but I disagree. I haven't seen in recent years Fort Lau look anything as nice as miami beaches. It is always murkier and more green.

Like this pic from january. Miami beaches even Hollywood look far more Carib like than lauderdale. what's up? And this weekend I didn't even go cause it was non stop rain.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:01 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well, Haulover is a hike for me from Wilton especially with all the traffic. Plus, the water in Miami area always seems to be nicer in appearance than Fort Lauderdale and not sure why that is. someone on here said Fort Lauderdale is no different than sunny isles in water color, but I disagree. I haven't seen in recent years Fort Lau look anything as nice as miami beaches. It is always murkier and more green.

Like this pic from january. Miami beaches even Hollywood look far more Carib like than lauderdale. what's up? And this weekend I didn't even go cause it was non stop rain.

This isn't some new thing. Everyone knows Fort Lauderdale has the worst beaches in the area. Nobody goes there anymore. It's better to be south of the cut or much further north. The location of Ft Lauderdale and the cut has a lot to do with the junk beaches.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:38 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
This isn't some new thing. Everyone knows Fort Lauderdale has the worst beaches in the area. Nobody goes there anymore. It's better to be south of the cut or much further north. The location of Ft Lauderdale and the cut has a lot to do with the junk beaches.
I disagree. Overall the Fort Lauderdale beach(es) is(are) quite nice. And plenty of people go there.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Overall the Fort Lauderdale beach(es) is(are) quite nice. And plenty of people go there.
Nice, yes. But not the nicest.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:

how much to the north? Lauderdale by the sea or way up towards Palm Beaches?

Old 06-18-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:

but the water clarity and aesthetic appeal, snorkeling etc is the worst in the area apparently compared to south of that Port Everglades cut or I guess way north. But I have yet to see the water there blue, only green, though in the 1980's I saw it blue. I guess way more development and runoff thru the cut has made it much less appealing over the intervening years.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
but the water clarity and aesthetic appeal, snorkeling etc is the worst in the area apparently compared to south of that Port Everglades cut or I guess way north. But I have yet to see the water there blue, only green, though in the 1980's I saw it blue. I guess way more development and runoff thru the cut has made it much less appealing over the intervening years.
I actually never like the water south of the Port Everglades inlet. John Lloyd park or Dania Beach beach. Or the gritty sand on the bottom there.

It starts to get quite nice in Hollywood. But I hate the parking situation there.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
how much to the north? Lauderdale by the sea or way up towards Palm Beaches?
Lauderdale by the Sea is usually really good. Some of the best beach snorkeling, too.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Lauderdale by the Sea is usually really good. Some of the best beach snorkeling, too.
Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area